Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a .380 that's both fun to shoot and something my wife can carry. I love my Walther P22 for plinking at the range, and I know Walther makes a dependable product. My wife really likes the look of the PPK. Any pros and cons to this pistol? I mean - If 007 carries it, it must be great... right?? ;)

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
The PPK and PPK/S are good guns, if a little dated. They will, however, bite if held in large hands. A lot of people have noticed blood after the first magazine.

New PP series pistols will feed JHP, while a number of the older ones won't. The triggers are also a bit gritty, and the DA first pull can build bulging trigger-finger muscles. The triggers can be lightened a bit by a gunsmith, without affecting reliability.

They are a Classic. However, if you want a similar high-quality .380, look at the Sig P230/232 series of guns. Better sights, better trigger, and cheaper. :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
I pretty much agree with JR - the PPK is a neat little gun, but it's a bit heavy and some people have problems with the slide cutting them. (Having said that, my PPK has never bit me - but my hands are pretty 'fat free' and I can shoot a standard 1911 without a beavertail as well).

More modern 'poly' framed pistols are lighter, less likely to injure the shooter and generally more reliable. Unless you are committed to the .380, I would open your search parameters up a bit and include the many good small 9mm handguns out there now. I would have a look at the PT911, for example.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd like the gun I'm looking for to serve a few purposes. First of all, it needs to shoot a round that my wife is comfortable shooting, since I'd like her to feel comfortable having it in the car or when she's on her own. She's a pretty good shot (with my Walther P22) and I want her to keep it up with a centerfire that has more punch than a .22. It also needs to be compact enough for her to keep in her purse, etc. The PT911s are sweet guns, just might be a bit much for her. I've got a PT140 that I carry that she likes the feel of, just way too much recoil and "bang" for her. I know the Millenniums come in different calibers, but I don't think I necessarily want a duplicate. Don't get me wrong... I LOVE my 140 and use it as a cc pistol, but might want to get something else to add to the collection. One of the dealers I frequent also mentioned the Sig and said, in his opinion, it was right up there, if not more pleasant to shoot than the Walther. Decisions, decisions.... ;D

·
Registered
384 Posts
Walther makes a very good line of handguns. I also own a P22 that has proven itself dependable and accurate for what it is. With that said, and echoing k_p's comments, there are quite a few "as good as" guns out there for a lot less money. Bersa make a very good .380, the Thunder, for aroud $320. As mentioned so does Taurus. Another one to consider is the CZ83 for around $470. Just food for thought.....

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hey - nothing wrong with keeping an eye to the variety of your collection.

Now as to her recoil issues with the 140 - not trying to talk you into anything, but the 40 S&W is about as snappy as they come - even a 45 ACP 'snaps' less.

Another 9mm in the Taurus line would be the 24/7 compact - about the size of the PT140/PT911 and it has the great 'ribber' grips.

Fact is, unless you are interested in guns like the Ruger LCP, there aren't many modern .380 platforms. Perhaps the SIG line is a good bet after all. It *is* a great PPK-like gun.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Oops! I was talking about the 911 but that's incorrect (wrong model). I ment the Mil Pro 9mm model, which I think is the PT111. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info! I'm going to take my wife in to Bass Pro to check out all of the ones you mentioned. I've also heard good things about the Bersa. My neighbor has two Bersa Thunders that he says he would never trade for the PPK. He says the trigger 100% better in his opinion.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
+1 on the Bersa Thunder .380----for the price (under $275 new) it cannot be beat.
My wife has one and it fits in her small hands perfectly. Definitely not a good platform if you have big paws like myself.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
NYPD said:
+1 on the Bersa Thunder .380----for the price (under $275 new) it cannot be beat.
My wife has one and it fits in her small hands perfectly. Definitely not a good platform if you have big paws like myself.
+2, bersa thunder .380 is a good gun for a good price, it's a solid CC gun.

·
Administrator
18,297 Posts
+3 on the Bersa! If I had to replace my PPK/S and wanted a .380 Pistol, that is what I would go for.

My .380 PPK/S was one of the last German Imports. It's a well made pistol and is very accurate. I don't shoot it very much anymore, having lost interest in it's cartridge and the pistol's ergonomics. I would favor it as a Summer Carry Pistol, as it fits very nicely in a pocket of my cargo shorts. I'm not crazy about the newer PPK's and PPK/S's made by S&W, under license by Walther.

I'll agree with kansas_plainsman's recommendation of a PT111 for a pistol in that size range. Have sort of thought of a PT111 for my own use, but I am sooooo addicted to my 9mm 24/7 Pro, I'll just have to find a way to hide it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Have her shoot everything you can find. See what she likes.
I've had Bersa 380's. Great shooters. I still have a PPK/S and a P230. All nice guns. I get no bite
from the Walther and it's been flawless as well as the others.

·
32,737 Posts
Don't forget the SIG 232. Does away with the Walther problems.

Have to agree with the Bersa crowd though.

Wild idea. If you folks like the .380 ACP how about a PT138? Hey, you're going to the store anyway. Gander Mountain had the PT138s at this store. Might not be true there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts