Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying one. never fired one. Are they worth it? how are they to handle? thanks for the input.

·
Administrator
17,913 Posts
In My Opinion.........

PPK or PPK/S, depends upon which will fit your hand. I prefer the PPK/S for my hand and having one more round and a solid backstrap. Have to be careful about shooting any PPK or PPK/S as the Slide may bite you.

I have an Interarms made Walther PPK/S. This particular one was well made and very accurate. It has been largely supplanted by the smaller 9mm Pistols in my Collection, notably my PT908. I have not been favorably impressed by the quality of the newer S&W made PPK's and PPK/S's. Were I in the market for a small 380, I would look at a Bersa Thunder 380. More ergonomic design, albeit slightly larger, lower cost, and generally well made.

PPK/S and Browning BDA .380

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The one plus about a PPK style pistol is the rich history from which they came. People usually buy the PPK either because of the WWII history or James Bond, there are better pistols and worse ones. I would say if you like them (I do), do some research on which brands or models are the best and go for it ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pricing for the Bersa looks good. I found one at old English. It's a Thunder 380 Duo-Tone for $219.99. with the list of a Walther at $556.00, I think I should take a serious look at the bersa Thunder. Thanks guys

·
Registered
665 Posts
DRAEGER said:
The one plus about a PPK style pistol is the rich history from which they came. People usually buy the PPK either because of the WWII history or James Bond, there are better pistols and worse ones. I would say if you like them (I do), do some research on which brands or models are the best and go for it ;)
Many find the 1911 and the Walther PPK, to be rich in history. But which gun is more valid today? As far as use and effectiveness?

·
Registered
791 Posts
JohnStevenEastwood57 said:
Many find the 1911 and the Walther PPK, to be rich in history. But which gun is more valid today? As far as use and effectiveness?
That is relevant to the use and intent of use. Both are effective. Both have valid niches.

What are you really asking?

·
Registered
665 Posts
thunderkiss69 said:
That is relevant to the use and intent of use. Both are effective. Both have valid niches.

What are you really asking?
If there is an answer. I wanted to know. Which is the least obsolete, and the reasons why? Both have their fans and detractors. I wondered if one stood out, as more effective over time. I’ve meet some (who naively) rag on both. Obsolete caliber, difficult takedown, etc… I wanted to know. If one, stood out more, than the other?

·
Registered
791 Posts
JohnStevenEastwood57 said:
If there is an answer. I wanted to know. Which is the least obsolete, and the reasons why? Both have their fans and detractors. I wondered if one stood out, as more effective over time. I’ve meet some (who naively) rag on both. Obsolete caliber, difficult takedown, etc… I wanted to know. If one, stood out more, than the other?
Well neither caliber is obsolete. .380 is super hard to find and getting even more popular among CC pocket pistols. The PPK is about the same size a Bersa Thunder. The 1911 is still one of the most reliable, easily accessible to parts full frame autos out there. As far as being effective. All about shot placement.

·
Registered
665 Posts
thunderkiss69 said:
Well neither caliber is obsolete. .380 is super hard to find and getting even more popular among CC pocket pistols. The PPK is about the same size a Bersa Thunder. The 1911 is still one of the most reliable, easily accessible to parts full frame autos out there. As far as being effective. All about shot placement.
All about shot placement. I'll go along with that. But many would say the 40 S&W caliber has made the 1911 outdated. “1911’s and .45ACP?”"Hard to find ammo for, hard to tear apart, only worth it: if you're using 230 grain PP loads for defense." "40 S&W has almost as much knockdown (88 out of 100 torso knockdowns, compared to 92 out of 100 [for the .45])" "And the .40 is much more versatile: faster and lacking many of the .45's defects." "40 S&W ammo is cheaper and much more available, in this climate." “The .45 is best at one thing.” “Punching a big hole, that will bleed out the assailant, in a short period of time.” “Given its (slow)speed, no round does that better.” “But with the advancements in range, speed, and all-round devastation, that modern rounds provide, I’ll take something else.” “I’ll still use a .45; but for PP, I’ll take .40 or 10mm anyday, instead." --Are those claims accurate? Don't know.

As for the Walther? I’ve heard many things. “The Walther is fine design.” “It shoots constant measured shots.” “It lives up to its reputation.” “The lack of .380ACP ammo (recently), and the uncertainty this brings; makes owning one more troubling.” “Still the Walther is an impressive weapon.” “That remains amazingly relevant today.” “You could do far worse, than getting a Walther PPK.” “I don’t like the type of steel, Smith uses on the slide.” “Too sensitive to casual use.” “And that recall, caused some concern; but they fixed the problem.” “The post-recall PPK was a huge improvement.” “Generally, I find the PPK more usable and relevant (in CCW and home defense) than the 1911. “ “Yes. I know of the caliber differences between the two.” “Yes. I know that the. 45ACP is much more powerful.”

“But as far as common everyday use: levels of recoil, and ability to wield the gun, when necessary (to save your life).” “I find the Walther PPK, the better instrument.” “1911 fans will immediately disagree.” “But is that out of better logic, or personal bias?” “Liking something, doesn’t make it effective.” “Often, we love something, because of its quirks.” “For me. The PPK works better and is more consistent (in everyday situations) than the slightly older 1911.” “…Both work.” “But the PPK, is more accessible to more people.” “A green shooter can use a PPK, if he has to.” “A 1911 requires more expertise, patience, and persistence; to carry off in equal fashion.” “And to me, that’s everything.” --Again. I don’t know what to think. I’ve handled both, and I’d tend to agree. But what do you think?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts