Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around, waiting for a good deal for the Walther P22. I'm not in a rush or anything. I thought about the Mosquito in the past, but I was too expensive. But, I found one today used for 299. That is pretty good for a Sig Mosquito and it looks brand new.

So, is it a new Walther P22 or a used Sig Mosquito?

I like them both, but I really like how the Mosquito is a like a full size pistol, but shoots .22

·
Super Moderator
35,022 Posts
Tough one. I looked at a little Walther P22 the other day, decent price and it was really cute. I had to wonder how accurate it possibly could be being that small and what's its intended use, but if it was accurate enough, would make a neat outdoor piece for plinking and such. I'll keep my revolver, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had friends with the Walther P22 and from what I have seen, it is accurate and reliable, you could spend the 300 on the 5" with the compensator. BRAND NEW!!!!!!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've owned both, and liked both.

Sold the Mosquito.

Between the two, the trigger on the Walther is better. Accuracy is great from either one. The Walther is less picky about ammo, and I found the Mosquito needs Mini-max to function reliably. The Walther costs less too. I'm a big SIG fan, but on this one, I vote Walther.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The only trouble I had with the P22 was the hammer spring broke. Sent it back and they fixed it no problems. No trouble since then, great little gun.

·
32,497 Posts
Just stopping by to say it is nice to hear form the people who actually have experience with these two guns. There's been a lot of bad press and trolls saying not so nice things at the gun forums.

Some of what they say may be true. But like all guns there are plenty that do work fine and the owners are happy with them. Glad to see the responses. ;D Each to his own,happily. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments so far.

I've shot the Walther P22 and it shoots very well. I love the way it looks and I was set on getting it. That was until I saw the used Sig for the same price. But anyways, I think I'll still get the Walther in the end, I really like the two toned one (stainless slide, black frame).

By the way, I already have a Ruger Mark II, but I just wanted something a little different.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up buying a new Walther P22. Its working great, but it's not as accurate as my Ruger 22. But I knew that when I bought it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I received a Mosquito a couple of years ago as a gift from my wife, one of the first production runs, with a low serial number. Beware of low serial numbers. I had a host of problems with it, and to their credit SigArms customer service folks replaced it with another. The only problem I have with the new one, is finding the time to shoot it. It is very accurate, once you figure which front sight, spring and ammo combination works best. Mine likes CCI MiniMags, with the middle size sight and light spring. (For anyone who doesn't own one, they come with 3 front sight options, and two recoil spring options.)

It does require frequent cleaning, which manifests itself in a most curious manner. When the gun gets dirty, after about 150 or so rounds, the slide will pick up a cartridge from the magazine, and kick the whole round out of the gun and onto the dirt. ???

Target & plinker gun? You bet, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've had both. Bought a used P-22 as my first pistol back in February. This particular gun was WELL used(little did I know,but you learn with time) but was o.k. in the meantime.

I traded it for a brand new mosquito. Yes, they're a little ammo sensitive. Ironically, I used three different types of ammo the last time I went to the range and it performed flawlessly. Sunday, I tried some thunderbolt and aguila and it wouldn't digest those even though it fired them a week prior. Go figure!

I guess I'll go back to mini-mags and see how it is. Otherwise, I really like the gun! It's very comfortable to shoot and is a snap to take down and clean. I think I'd buy another one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had one of the very early Mosquitos and like many people, I had a lot of problems with FTE's/FTF's and generally poor performance. I happily sold it.

It was a shame becaue I really liked it conceptually. I have been reading/hearing tht they have fixed some of the guns teething issues and I am looking perhaps taking a chance on another one.

We'll see.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the Walther P22 in “Military Green” with the short barrel. It was a great little fun and interesting weapon, but I barely fired it and it was becoming a safe queen.

I used it as a trade-in on my Taurus 905, and the GS really wanted it, especially the green version. It was not picky about ammo, at least not with the general mix of 100rds or so that I put through it. It functioned well and was accurate. Plus, it just looked super kewl!

I think you will enjoy it if you get one.

g19erusa

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just got a P22 a few weeks ago...so far, I love it! Shoots great, looks cool...accuracy isn't too bad, not much you can do with a 3" barrel, but this little gun does a good job! I highly recommend the P22!

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
RocketFoot said:
I just got a P22 a few weeks ago...so far, I love it! Shoots great, looks cool...accuracy isn't too bad, not much you can do with a 3" barrel, but this little gun does a good job! I highly recommend the P22!

Very nice Rocketfoot! I've been eyeing the model with the 5" tube.

·
Registered
959 Posts
~ "Tasty Treat" ~
~ Well, here's a Tasty Link to My New "Sig Sauer Mosquito Black OP's"
~ I took the Picture, and Framed it, so I can see it when I'm sitting at My Computer...<:))
~ I have been with Family & Friends, been running the Dog Sheet out of it at the Range...<:))
~ ONLY by a Brand New ONE because its got a 1 year warranty to original Owner...!!! You want a New Serial #...!!!
~ I'm shooting MiniMag's to break it in with 1000 rounds...
~ I will do a Full Layout, with details at a later date... YES, this is a BAD A$$ GUN...<:))
~ Seems the Factory limited the Mags to 10, But there is room for many more... I will look, and see how the factory put the stop in...<:)) I have 3 Mags for it... One in the Gun, two for Quick reload...<:)) I like that the Sig is 90% the size of a Full size Sig, and the P22 is like a Pocket Pistol compared to it... Sig sells it as a Plinker-Trainer, and it fills that roll vary well... Its nice that I can turn it into a Serious Target, or Game Pistol, with Sig's nice two piece Kit for the Mosquito...<:)) Also My Laser-Light Combo M6X is a Professional Grade LEO-Mil Spec...
~
~ YUMMMMMM ~~~ " T A S T Y "
~ http://members.aol.com/normtrudeau2/mosquito/2mosquito.jpg

~ SIG Sauer Mosquito Red Dot Sight & Bridge Mount

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I would get the Walther just for the coolness of it. I don't own either but I would get the Walther over the Sig. I saw one guy bad mouthing the Sig in a review and haven't heard anything bad of the Walther.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I purchased a Walther P22 Limited Editition with both barrels for my wife to shoot since she claimed my .22 Tracker was too heavy. Before I purchased, I also looked at the Sig Mosquito and the S&W 22A. Thought about the Beretta but couldn't justify the money. Truth be told, I LOVE shooting the P22. Unlike eariler guns that were ammo sensitive, it has digested everything I put in the mags. The only gremlin I've had to date is on very rare ocassions, the saftey will mysteriously engage. I've been keeping an eye on it and it may very well be shooters error. While a minor complaint, it's not the easiest gun to breakdown for cleaning, but once you get the hang of it (that d%mn little spring rod guide!!) it's not too bad. I would give the Walther P22 a big thumbs up for "fun to shoot".

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I want to get one for my wife but she says it would be a waste of money. Maybe I'll get one for me and tell her it's hers. That's how I got my second AK.

·
Registered
384 Posts
paulrabe78 said:
I want to get one for my wife but she says it would be a waste of money. Maybe I'll get one for me and tell her it's hers. That's how I got my second AK.
Good luck on selling her! Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
959 Posts
paulrabe78,... Seems the Web is full of Posts like this OWNER, and not from people with Opinions... The EARLY one's of Both Brands Should be Avoided... BUY NEW STOCK, and Be Happy...<:))

Bshaw
Message Board Member
Username: Bshaw

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:51 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I understand they've fixed the new Walther, but I had one early on and it was a POS. Inaccurate and even using the different sight inserts couldn't get it to hit point of aim. Same story with all the guys I shoot with, they had the same problems when shooting the same gun. Also if you are going to suppress it, the point of aim shifted by at least 2 feet at ten yards and it keyholed to boot. We tried a couple of different ways of attaching with the same luck. The same suppressors on a Ruger had none of these issues. Hell, the Ruger even feed and cycled shorts.

Don't have a Mini-Master, but the same as the Black Widow and mine BW shoots great.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts