Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For grins I thought I would check to see what was offered here. This seller has NOS walnut checkered grips two ways. Modified to fit the RR for 22.00...unmodified to where one has to take a drill and elongate the hole on the inside of the panel to fit the frame pin position for 17.00. Guess which ones I bought?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/811189214

Here's the listing for the ones that they modified.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/811463154

Here's the ones that I bought.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yep. I got a few of these target/oversized grips" too. Sold by Robertson Trading Post via gunbroker. Like then A LOT!
But I got the ones that were already modified for RR's... snap in just great... no micrometer migraine moments for me.

Odd that Heritage no longer sells such a simple optional upgrade!?

·
Super Moderator
37,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am figuring that I'll use a black Sharpie (or a paint dot) on the frame pin and transfer the location to the grip panel underneath to guide where I need to relieve the wood.

Reactions: daveindenver

·
Registered
164 Posts
I made some grips out of a piece of oak flooring I had. Traced the pattern from the old plastic grips onto the oak and cut them out on my bandsaw. Shaped them using a Dremel, sanding block, and whatever else I needed. Came out looking/feeling better than the originals:

Original Grips:
10.JPG

Oak Grips:
01.JPG

05.JPG

01_01.JPG

01_02.JPG

I think I used a #8 brass screw and a threaded insert to hold the handles on. For the keeper at the bottom I inserted a piece of brass tubing into each handle to keep the oak from wearing out.

They looked good but were too thick. This week I thinned them down a bit and am waiting for the stain to dry. I'll need to cut down the brass screw so it doesn't stick out but that's easy.

·
Super Moderator
37,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice job!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks! I'll keep whittling on them until they feel/look like what I'm after. If I really mess up, I have more oak in the garage!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts