Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I survived my trip to Walmart today and most of what little money I had came home with me.
The grocery section was surprisingly bare.
At least I was able to get 2 gallons of my preferred brand of drinking water. To make up for the shortage I also got 6 2 liter bottles of diet Root Beer. The food shelves were bare for certain things such as Pasta fixin's. Also a lot of other things I don't eat plus, of course, paper products. They had plenty of day old french bread but was devoid of all brands of margarine and butter except the "Vegan" butter, so much for garlic bread.
I'm good for another week.
I hope I didn't pick up any free germs or viruses while I was there.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
The county here has enacted an ordinance stating 1 person per 1000 sq/ft of store space. People are kind up in the parking lots waiting for their chance to go inside to see empty shelves.

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
No pasta no problem, look for Mac n cheese store brands are 50 cents and there is a whole shelf of it. My wife made a bucket of Goulash. Then use the powdered cheese on popcorn.

I bought a bunch and took it to my wife's disabled friend. Your right there is no food. I asked about TP and they said they get it everyday but are out by 9:00am. They said seniors can come in by 7:00.. as I'm an old fart I can restock the house. I get paid on the 1st so I had enough for the month but am getting low.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lomax

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Mrs Flash and I ventured to our local WalMart @7:30AM. A WalMart distribution truck was leaving as we were turning in. The grocery shelves were pretty well stocked and the meat counters were adequately, as well. Bread shelves were full, aisles were clear and clean. Plenty of other stuff on display, the flashlight battery shelves were well-supplied, no evidence of panic-buying - at that hour, anyway. With the exception of brown sugar, we were able to fulfill our monthly needs adequately, with no shortages or substitutions. Granted, it was early in the day and we found the handicapped parking nearly empty and the electric carts all lined up and fully charged.

After putting our groceries away, we took a run to a local "discount - grocery" (which also carries bulk foods, like Domino Sugar in 50# sacks, specialty baking and canning items, candies, etc.) run by members of one of the local "plain" sects and found nearly as good a selection and situation as normal. No electric carts - never did have - I had to walk the entire thing. Avocadoes (here, in PA!) for $.89 and nothing short except toilet paper. Produce, though always of limited variety, actually was better shape and price than at WM, which is not the general case.

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Registered
27,111 Posts
Otter and I went to Meijer today (a superstore like Wallymart for those of you outside it's area) and I hated it. Not the store, they're doing OK on stocking, but anybody's advice on what to buy instead of something else is worthless... shortages are local. Our store, f'rinstance is out of Mac and Cheese...
What I didn't like is that so many people don't get the social distance thing.
Example 1: 3 people standing in the produce aisle chatting for more than 5 minutes blocking access to the shelves... asked them to move.
Example 2: I'm standing at the hamburger (Costco now) and a woman comes up close enough to brush my arm. I looked at her and said, "Can I have a little space here, please?"
Always say please and thank you even when you're being a curmudgeon. :D

·
Registered
794 Posts
Otter and I went to Meijer today (a superstore like Wallymart for those of you outside it's area) and I hated it. Not the store, they're doing OK on stocking, but anybody's advice on what to buy instead of something else is worthless... shortages are local. Our store, f'rinstance is out of Mac and Cheese...
What I didn't like is that so many people don't get the social distance thing.
Example 1: 3 people standing in the produce aisle chatting for more than 5 minutes blocking access to the shelves... asked them to move.
Example 2: I'm standing at the hamburger (Costco now) and a woman comes up close enough to brush my arm. I looked at her and said, "Can I have a little space here, please?"
Always say please and thank you even when you're being a curmudgeon. :D
The wife and I were checking out at our local Walmart yesterday, there was a woman without a basket standing so close I could smell her (not good smells either). I moved a couple of feet further, she followed. I have never seen my wife come unhinged like she did yesterday.
In a normal world I would've been a little embarrassed, but.in today's times...all I said was thank you honey. You said stuff to her that I was tought not to say to a "lady"

·
Registered
27,111 Posts
The wife and I were checking out at our local Walmart yesterday, there was a woman without a basket standing so close I could smell her (not good smells either). I moved a couple of feet further, she followed. I have never seen my wife come unhinged like she did yesterday.
In a normal world I would've been a little embarrassed, but.in today's times...all I said was thank you honey. You said stuff to her that I was tought not to say to a "lady"
Michigan is up to 5,486 cases and 132 deaths. (2.4%) All I want is 6' horizontal space so that I don't need 6' vertical.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
Michigan is up to 5,486 cases and 132 deaths. (2.4%) All I want is 6' horizontal space so that I don't need 6' vertical.
Good start for a new public message.

Reactions: MadKaw and Ironmagz

·
Registered
27,111 Posts
Good start for a new public message.
I was just thinking that... I'm going to do a graphic for that.

covid_choice.png

Feel free to spread this... make it go viral. :D

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
So I went to my local Walmart today (3/31) and they had plenty of paper towels and toilet paper on the shelves, and very few people were buying it. They still didn't have any hand sanitizer or clorox wipes, disposable gloves. Due to a news story of a 90 yr old woman who claims to have survived the coronavirus with prayer and eating potato soup, I jokingly said that will be the next thing people will have a run on. So out of curiosity I looked to see if they had any, and of course they didn't. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Haven't been to Wally world since before the WHO declaration. Seems like that was the day when it went from distant issue of concern to about like 9/11, personal but different. Don't laugh, I worked in Manhattan in those days. For two days I couldn't think clearly as all of us waited for the next attack, and watching the towers burn every day for months was painful. This is more like what walking through a minefield might be like, avoiding mines you can't detect.

Last week I received my bulk order of 25 pounds of pinto beans. Filled up two large plastic containers used for bulk breakfast cereal. The rest I parceled out into ziplocks for my 87 YO father in law who lives on the property in his own house, and another for my sister in law who doesn't. Gotta put more empty boxes on the burn pile, back porch is getting cramped.

At least we won't run out of gas.

·
Super Moderator
34,947 Posts
I need a few things chief among them toilet paper. I dread going to the store, now.

I'm not sure who mandated masks in public, might be the state since I haven't heard it being a national declaration. I was a bit ahead of that one. Wife and the sewing "lab" she volunteers with are making masks for EMS, police, and the hospital. The sewing lab was just teaching kids and adults, anyone who wished to learn how to sew. The county was donating space for this at the extension service building much to the chagrin of the extension service folks who wanted 'em out. Well, now they've pretty much made their case for staying. :D They've been in the local paper several times for the masks they're making and for the kid's projects at the county fair (it's a rural county and the fair is a big deal). I got her to make me one here at the house, so I have it for my next grocery run. :D No need to wear it out here. Who am I going to infect, the hogs? :rofl:

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The county here has enacted an ordinance stating 1 person per 1000 sq/ft of store space. People are kind up in the parking lots waiting for their chance to go inside to see empty shelves.
I just checked, my local WM would have to import people to get it to that many people in the store, and that would have been before this stuff happened.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Just for grins, I'm thinking of putting on my yellow Hazmat suit (would have been better today as it was kind of cool around Lubbock, tomorrow a warming trend) my Israeli Gas Mask, rubber gloves and boots and going grocery shopping in the morning. I know with that get up, people are bound to keep their distance, particularly if I have a bucket of suds and am throwing out suds with a big old barbecue basting mop. A crowd around the bacon Isle, I can say I need to disinfect the bacon and I bet they will clear out immediately! If I get up the nerve to do this, I will post a selfie of me being arrested for inciting a panic! :)

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I seem to have an innate ability to release flatula when I want to. It's very useful for encouraging others to maintain their distance. Unfortunately, I'm not always able to contain these. It has been embarrassing upon occasion, such as church.....

·
Registered
794 Posts
We had to go out yesterday for some supplies, Sam's club wasn't bad. Fortunately, no Walmart trips tho. We did pass by all 3 of the ones in town. All had one way entrance/exit, a line out the door and a cop stationed outside.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Just for grins, I'm thinking of putting on my yellow Hazmat suit (would have been better today as it was kind of cool around Lubbock, tomorrow a warming trend) my Israeli Gas Mask, rubber gloves and boots and going grocery shopping in the morning. I know with that get up, people are bound to keep their distance, particularly if I have a bucket of suds and am throwing out suds with a big old barbecue basting mop. A crowd around the bacon Isle, I can say I need to disinfect the bacon and I bet they will clear out immediately! If I get up the nerve to do this, I will post a selfie of me being arrested for inciting a panic! :)
Will a Israeli Gas Mask (or any gas mask) really stop the airborne transfer of COVID-19 considering how small it is? Not found any good answer online yet.

·
Registered
27,111 Posts
Will a Israeli Gas Mask (or any gas mask) really stop the airborne transfer of COVID-19 considering how small it is? Not found any good answer online yet.
A gas mask in good condition will stop airborne transfer if used with the proper filter. Some filters are effective against particulates, some are not. The filter package should tell you what type of hazard it is effective against.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts