Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Walmart to see if they got any .22 ammo in...nope! However I did buy a box of 200 Federal 115 gr, brass casing for $33.87. That comes out to $8.47 for a normal box of 50. Great deal, but stranger yet is that is cheaper than the aluminum cased Federal. :confused:

·
Registered
32,268 Posts
No .22 ammo??? Maybe I need to start checking ammo counters again!!!

Surely the scavengers haven't come back, they should still be stuck with billions of .22 rounds from the last fiasco.

·
Registered
729 Posts
.16 cents per round is my magic number for 9 mm. I see a lot of $7.99 or $8.99 per box of 50 online but when you add shipping the price to me becomes less attractive. If I can find the same deal at my local Wally World I am all in.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Walmart in N E PA. the 22 ammo is abundant here ,buckets of Bullets,Federal Remington and CCI Bricks,along with 9mm,40s&w,45 acp,many different centerfire calibers also.

·
9,106 Posts
My little Walmart in Jay Okla has plenty of 22 and nice prices on centerfire as well. I wish they would stock more SD ammo other than Winchester.

·
Registered
37,079 Posts
academy had plenty of different 22LR bulk, I picked up 2 boxes of 525 count Golden Bullet for I believe it was 27.99 per box?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My little Walmart in Jay Okla has plenty of 22 and nice prices on centerfire as well. I wish they would stock more SD ammo other than Winchester.
Walmarts here in Gainesville, Fl have a very good variety of SD ammo. Prices are around $8-$10 a box cheaper than the LGS or the range.

Reactions: silverstring

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
I had to check the date on this thread to make sure it wasn't pre-Trump. :rofl: Man, Walmarts all around me are swimming in a variety of .22, not necessarily magnums, but .22LR for sure. I picked up a box of 100 Federal brass 9x19 just today. Brass is usually a few bucks more, like 10 bucks per 50 round box. I buy brass for the brass, but I've got 9x19 brass out the wazz at the moment. I like the aluminum case because I don't cry every piece of brass that misses the tarp and I don't have to mess with the tarp. :laugh:

Reactions: mark7mod0

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had to check the date on this thread to make sure it wasn't pre-Trump. :rofl: Man, Walmarts all around me are swimming in a variety of .22, not necessarily magnums, but .22LR for sure. I picked up a box of 100 Federal brass 9x19 just today. Brass is usually a few bucks more, like 10 bucks per 50 round box. I buy brass for the brass, but I've got 9x19 brass out the wazz at the moment. I like the aluminum case because I don't cry every piece of brass that misses the tarp and I don't have to mess with the tarp. :laugh:
Well what really got me was the brass was cheaper than the aluminum!! Actually they did have .22 ammo, just not .22 LR.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I was in Wally World yesterday and I did see that Fed ammo 200 bx for $33.?? per box. I didn't buy it only because I gots plenty already.
However, at that kind of price for GOOD ammo, it would be worth it to pick up one every visit.

Edit: I looked it up on line at Target Sports- they have free shipping on case lots. When you add the tax at WW.....its about $8 cheaper at Walmart than by the case online.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was in Wally World yesterday and I did see that Fed ammo 200 bx for $33.?? per box. I didn't buy it only because I gots plenty already.
However, at that kind of price for GOOD ammo, it would be worth it to pick up one every visit.
Until last election when Democrats took the Senate (also tight win for state senate and governor race here in FLorida) I though I had enough ammo. Now each month I am picking up at least 250 rds over what I shoot at the range.

·
Registered
144 Posts
First post here, but I have to comment. I work in sporting goods at a Walmart in Oklahoma. We have plenty of .22, from 50 round boxes of Federal and CCI to 1400 round Remington Bucket O'Bullets. We have CCI .22 short, Mini-Mag FMJ and HP, and .22 Mag. We have Remington subsonic. We even have CCI .22 shotshells! Prices are as low as about .04 cents a round.

As for 9mm, our best seller ATM is Remington 50 round boxes for $7.97 a box. That's .15 cents a round, sothat's under your target price, Tracker 627. I've had customers buy whole cases unopened!

BTW, I'm here because I'm about to buy a G2C. I've been thinking about it for a while but never picked one up until yesterday. It fit my hand well, was just grippy enough, and is the size I'm looking for. I'm waiting until my LGS gets in a two tone version since I love how stainless over black looks. When I do get it, the gun will be $215 out the door (before taxes.)

·
Registered
37,079 Posts
Not sure now--as i am not much of a walmartian myslef-- but not to long ago the prices and availability as well as instock merchandise and PRICE was regulated by the area and competition in that area.
here from what little I visit the stores (three of which are about the same short distance from my house) the availblility and stock items vary greatly from gun related being almost an after thought to one being fairly well stocked as long as its pretty run of the mill firearms related stuff.

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
I just ordered some cheap Winchester JHPs from Midwayusa.com . I like these bullets for their reliability in my new TH9 and they're accurate and they're hollow points. My XTP loads I feed my Kel Tec with don't feed well in the TH9, hang up on the feed ramp. The OAL is too short. So, I used to shoot these Winchester JHPs in practice and IDPA because they are cheap from Midway. However, the price of factory loads has gotten so low, I really can't justify reloading these bullets for practice. Factory loads are only a few bucks more per hundred! So, I'm going to have to shoot cast in the TH9 for practice to make it economical to load for it. Good news is, I bought a 6 bullet gang mold for that bullet a while back. :D

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
37,079 Posts
likley just the old school hollow point from years ago, Reington makes them as does Federal as well in the old school design.
cheaper but are not as versatile as the modern stuff.
I use the federal Classic to do a lot of function testing on new weapons myself.
they generally have HUGGGE hollow point cavities as well.
my lil ATI Defender 1911 loves the Federal stuff.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,421 Posts
Last week, while at Walmart, I picked up a box of 550 rounds of Winchester .22LR Hollowpoints, and there is now plenty of .22LR to be had. Took a long time for the local supply to normailze. Methinks the local hoarders ran out of Cash and gave up.

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Registered
228 Posts
First let me say I do not like steel cased ammo but I did purchase 150 rounds of Winchester USA forged at Walmart, cheap but I did not know it was steel cased atthat time, yeah, I know should have read the box, in a hurry, I've made bad buys before. I fired some of this in my Taurus 709 which has never caused a problem and yet out of 50 rounds had 6 failures to extract. I believe the steel expands different and hangs up in the chamber could be the extractor but don't think so, in any event stay clear of the Winchester forged.

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
First let me say I do not like steel cased ammo but I did purchase 150 rounds of Winchester USA forged at Walmart, cheap but I did not know it was steel cased atthat time, yeah, I know should have read the box, in a hurry, I've made bad buys before. I fired some of this in my Taurus 709 which has never caused a problem and yet out of 50 rounds had 6 failures to extract. I believe the steel expands different and hangs up in the chamber could be the extractor but don't think so, in any event stay clear of the Winchester forged.
The steel cases totally depend on the gun. They're 100 percent reliable in my TH9c and my Ruger P85, but I have occasional feed problems with it in my Kel Tec P11. I don't particularly like the stuff, though, as it's not as accurate as Federal aluminum and only a buck or two cheaper. Extraction problems are likely a less than robust extractor. Yes, the steel expands and doesn't shrink back a little like the more malleable brass and even aluminum will do. I imagine that a gun with a smallish extractor might slip the rim under the stress of extraction on this stuff. My TH9 and my Ruger P85 have robust extractors. My little Kel Tec has a skinny one, but I've yet to have extraction problems with it. But, I've only put a few hundred rounds through it as I do have the feeding problems about 2 rounds out of a box, just enough to give me tap, rack, bang practice. :D

As for .22, methinks the "shortage" is a problem at the OP's store. It is certainly NOT a problem in all the walmarts around ME. I shop at a super duper walmart in El Campo and there's a regular walmart in Columbus and one in Hallettsville. ALL have .22 ammo in abundance.

·
Registered
228 Posts
UOTE=NativeTexan;5384293]The steel cases totally depend on the gun. They're 100 percent reliable in my TH9c and my Ruger P85, but I have occasional feed problems with it in my Kel Tec P11. I don't particularly like the stuff, though, as it's not as accurate as Federal aluminum and only a buck or two cheaper. Extraction problems are likely a less than robust extractor. Yes, the steel expands and doesn't shrink back a little like the more malleable brass and even aluminum will do. I imagine that a gun with a smallish extractor might slip the rim under the stress of extraction on this stuff. My TH9 and my Ruger P85 have robust extractors. My little Kel Tec has a skinny one, but I've yet to have extraction problems with it. But, I've only put a few hundred rounds through it as I do have the feeding problems about 2 rounds out of a box, just enough to give me tap, rack, bang practice. :D

As for .22, methinks the "shortage" is a problem at the OP's store. It is certainly NOT a problem in all the walmarts around ME. I shop at a super duper walmart in El Campo and there's a regular walmart in Columbus and one in Hallettsville. ALL have .22 ammo in abundance.[/QUOTE]

Your correct it depends on the gun, I have no doubt my cz75 will fire the stuff without problems but I did want people to understand it's not reliable in the 709 and I'm sure other models also. Steel case should always be the last choice.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I've run probably 300-400 rounds of the Winchester Forged through my 709 with no problems. Walmart mismarked the hundred round boxes as 50 round boxes. When I realized that I bought every box in the case.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts