Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm... Went to WalMart today in Tyler and noticed that all of the guns had been pulled. There was a sign that said that until their firearm license was renewed, they could not sell any firearms. So, I asked the guy at the counter about it and he said that ALL of the stores in Texas had to pull their guns as they all have the same license. He said nobody has told them WHEN it will be renewed.

Was this a slip-up on their part, or are we heading down the road to WalMart doing away with firearms for good?

Todd

·
32,481 Posts
In these parts Wally World has pulled firearms from most, if not all the stores in this state. Anti-gun factions and being politically correct are the reasons.

Wal-mart has had so much bad press by the media and lefty groups about everything under the sun they finally caved.

Wal-mart's business practices are no different from any other chain store similar to them and yet they are the target of made up lie that the lefties can throw at them.

Sorry to see them give in like that.

Then again, how many people do you know that buy there firearms from Wally World?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Same in Minnesota. WalMart pulled all guns out several months ago. It made no sense. Most of what they had were small caliber rifles, Marlin 60 .22s, some hunting rifles and a few shotguns. Stuff that sells well in a big hunting state like Minnesota. Gun shops are getting hard to find around here. Far cry from the old days when the old man bought my first deer rifle, a 30/30 Win at the local Woolworths for $77.00.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
The Wal-Mart in my town pulled all of the long guns last year. They never had handguns in the 4 years that I've been here. I bet it's company-wide soon. Dang lawyers.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
The Walmart nearest to me still carries long guns and ammunition. There is another Walmart not too far away though I only go there infrequently -- the last time I was there, they still carried long guns and ammo also.

That Walmart also doesn't (or didn't) I.D. me when I'd purchase ammo like the one nearest to me does. I suppose I look underage.

·
32,481 Posts
There are other reasons for WalMart doing this. Employees have to be trained and be able to qualify to be able to handle firrearms. Employee turn over is huge, so the constant hassle of getting proper documentation,documents, and licensed handlers are more than the chain store groups willing to put with.

More and more employee's attitudes are bad anyway. This and finding trustworthy folks is also a major problem.

Around here it is not uncommon for the clerks to make embittered comments about anyone who shoots or the whole business about shooting in general.

A number of clerks refused and still do, to issue the "dreaded" hollowpoint ammo, because it is evil and nasty in their ignorant and uninformed opinion. Facts of the case did not matter to anyone with those misconceptions.

Tried to be tactful and respectful of them and needless to say this had no bearing on the matter as far as the clerks were concerned.

Told management about all this at different stores. Attitudes and mind were the same as the clerks.

With that kind of outlook towards guns and shooters is it a wonder that WalMArt is chucking the whole thing or darn near doing that.

·
32,481 Posts
Forgot to add a thing or two.

Asked for ammo on sale and was told none was in stock. I was looking at the glass cases and could see the WWB ammo. There were a dozen boxes sitting in the open and the clerk and I were looking sirectly at it when I was told none existed.

Flash forward 1 month. Different clerk same situation. No ammo in glass case is apparent. About to leave the counter after being told no ammo exists when another clerk, not knowing what transpired, approaches the counter after first clerk leaves. Second clerk is asked the same question about ammo availibility. Second clerk goes to stockroom and comes back with 6 boxes of 100 pack WWB ammo.

Par for the course. Most of my ammo needs are know met by online ordering. ;D

·
Registered
123 Posts
howdy folks :)

It just so happens that my mother is a pretty well connected manager for Wally World here in Texas. She and I have had many discussions over this, one just last night in fact.

Here's the real situation. It's about liability and the law.

These days they're in quite a pickle. If you sell someone a gun pretty much everyone even remotely connected to the gun sale can be sued. This goes from the greeter on duty at the front of the store to the person behind the counter to the department manager on duty to the store manager on duty (who may never have even seen you make the purchase.) Every one of those people can be held PERSONALLY liable if you do something silly with your gun. That means you and all your personal property and assets are liable, not just your job at the store.

Now is that right? no... not by a long shot, but that's the way the law is going these days. Nobody wants to be put in that situation. Walmart employees are supposed to be told point-blank that if they don't feel right about a sale dealing with firearms or ammo that they should refuse the sale. My mom has personally refused the sale of a few weapons to folks that she said just "didn't look right". That is within her right and Walmart's right as a retailer. These aren't moral concerns, they're liability issues.

When the law is adjusted so that you can't sue everyone on duty at the store for selling you a gun or a box of shells then they may consider bringing them back. I can also tell you that if Walmart no longer has a license to sell firearms (highly doubtful) that it was because they chose not to renew it. This process of pulling guns (and eventually even ammo) out of Walmarts will continue. Texas is one of the last states to remove the guns from their stores, but it will eventually happen everywhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We still have long guns and ammo in most of our Wal-Marts here in TN (some stores only carry ammo, no firearms). Thankfully, most of the people working the counter that I have encountered are firearm enthusiasts. They know their firearms for the most part, and are more than willing to help. I actually purchased a very nice Ruger 10/22 from there just a few months ago. Of course, the only reason I ever go to Wallyworld anymore is for their cheap ammo, and that might change soon.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have come to the conclusion that WalMart is a gamble when it comes to finding someone with knowledge about guns. Most either give bad information or just simply say they don't know (preferable). But, since I do know, I don't mind shopping there for guns or ammo. When I need something they sell, I'll include them in my price comparisons. If they win out, I buy from them.

LedJedi, does your mother have any information about why Texas allowed its firearms license to slip? Was this simply a mistake on somebodies part, or something bigger? I'm not a conspiracy minded person, just wondering if this is a first step to something bigger, like pulling all guns from the shelves in Texas.

Todd

·
Registered
123 Posts
BoneDigger said:
LedJedi, does your mother have any information about why Texas allowed its firearms license to slip? Was this simply a mistake on somebodies part, or something bigger? I'm not a conspiracy minded person, just wondering if this is a first step to something bigger, like pulling all guns from the shelves in Texas.
Todd
I my knowledge, they didn't let their license slip. Some stores still have shotguns on the shelves from what she said. She's never mentioned the license and it's certainly something she would have said at least as a supporting reason. I will ask her specifically about the license next time I talk to her though to make sure.

Walmart WILL eventually stop selling guns alltogether. They are in the process of doing that now. Texas is one of the last stores to have it's walmarts remove them. As I understand it, they will eventually no longer sell ammo as well, but that will be more for a gradual phase out after the guns themselves are gone.

You can bet that after walmart completely pulls the plug that other chains that aren't specifically geared toward sporting industry will also stop carrying guns. It's just too much of a legal liability for them because they are currently vulnerable to suits for selling the gun even after the person clears a check. That makes NO sense to me, but what do I know? :)

Basically what needs to happen is a law change granting immunity to suit any retailer that sells a gun so long as they properly complete the sale with applicable checks.

In most stores they're not just yanking them off the shelves. Some are, but others are just waiting until the store does another remodel and they're taking the gun cases out. The new stores simply aren't being built with facilities for guns. She didn't come out and say it, but I get the impression that Walmart doesn't want to make a big scene about the decision. The decision was actually made a few years ago and it's been an ongoing process. They're not removing them all at once in a big display because they don't want to make a political statement about the decision. It's simply a good business for them from a legal liability standpoint.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mr. Walton is gone and that sums up why Wal Mart is a greed-monger of a corporation and makes decisions such as removing guns from 90% or so of their stores that are not only contrary to most of their customer territory and culture but also contrary to his legacy of the previous 40+ years.

But whose really to blame when millions of consumers (small or large city consumers, that is) continued to shop at Wal Mart in a manner that caused the local hardware, grocer, drug store, and gun shop to go broke?

·
Registered
123 Posts
captainamerica said:
Mr. Walton is gone and that sums up why Wal Mart is a greed-monger of a corporation and makes decisions such as removing guns from 90% or so of their stores that are not only contrary to most of their customer territory and culture but also contrary to his legacy of the previous 40+ years.

But whose really to blame when millions of consumers (small or large city consumers, that is) continued to shop at Wal Mart in a manner that caused the local hardware, grocer, drug store, and gun shop to go broke?
I don't know about that. I kind of think the wal-mart story kind of personifies the spirit of the american dream. that's just me though and I honestly dont want or need to get into that debate.

However, I can say that you should be careful who you say stuff like that around for your own personal safety.

If you're in a store in east texas and you're around a lady about 5 ft 5inches, around 220lbs and a store manager i wouldn't say that too loud. You're liable to NEED that Taurus. If after 6 rounds to the chest and she's still not down, congratulations. You've met my mother. Give her a hug for me on your way to the hospital :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
LedJedi, you will get no other disagreement with me on your comments except that the word personifies should be changed to personified (I'm really not disagreeing just stating my disdain for modern day mega-corporate America and Wal Mart particularly). And it stopped at or just after Mr. Walton's death.

LedJedi said:
I don't know about that. I kind of think the wal-mart story kind of personifies the spirit of the american dream. that's just me though and I honestly dont want or need to get into that debate.

However, I can say that you should be careful who you say stuff like that around for your own personal safety.

If you're in a store in east texas and you're around a lady about 5 ft 5inches, around 220lbs and a store manager i wouldn't say that too loud. You're liable to NEED that Taurus. If after 6 rounds to the chest and she's still not down, congratulations. You've met my mother. Give her a hug for me on your way to the hospital :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Last I checked the W's in good ol' Virginia still have long arms and ammo.

Maybe I'll check in this weekend and see if I can get some good deals while they still last.

·
Registered
174 Posts
i am one of those anti-walmart types because a person can't raise a family on what they pay, that said i was in there yesterday and bought groceries, ammo, engine oil and a belt. without that store it would of required at least 3 different stops. that said, our store has two people that are knowledgable about the ammo dept. if they are not there, it is just about a waste of time to try and buy it, no one else knows how to ring it up etc. our problem is there is only so much storage space for ammo, and it is quite often sold out. i have gone in there and emptied the shelf more than once of a specific round a few times. i think ammo is gonna be in our area for a while as an awful lot passes over the counter here. the sales guy knows my policy, if i own a specific caliber, i need no less than 500rds on hand for it, he made note that i must of recently just purchased a 9mm. he will remember me for a long time as when my wife got her ccw, he could not keep .40 cal on the shelf till she found herself more confident in her skills.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
A couple of days ago when I was in WalMart, they still had the long guns and ammo.

This is another Texas store, not far from Tyler.

·
Registered
123 Posts
like i said. it's a process. they're not yanking all the guns at once. They dont want to attract attention or make a political statement. The ammo will probably be quite a while after all the guns are down. Some stores will probably have them for months or even a year or so, eventually they will all dry up though.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, all I know is what I was told. I have been to two stores in Tyler, and both had pulled the guns. On the display was a note saying that due to their firearms license having expired, they could no longer sell guns until the new license was in effect. Both stores indicated that it was a Texas wide firearms license and that NONE of the stores in Texas could sell guns until the license was renewed. Nobody had a clue when that might be.

This was a few days ago, so I'm not sure if this is still the case.

Todd

·
Registered
91 Posts
i Really mean no disrepect on your mothers abilities, but i have yet to find a walmart employee that i would feel comfortable handing an empty and locked open airsoft gun to. And i havent met one that diddnt give me the willies in the gun department.

And what kind of "training.certification" is needed to get them working in the gun department? Ive yet to see one of the gun department people figure out the difference between a single shot nef and a double barrel 12 guage and a bolt action 22. And dont get me started on ammo.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts