Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The decision by the Walmart Corporate management to no longer allow " Open Carry " in their stores has made Walmart a more dangerous place to shop.

They must not have given this decision much thought.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Yep- they only thought of waving their "no gun" flag in hopes the community would see them as someone wanting to protect them from harm.

They never thought to stop and "think" about just how many of their customers are not stupid.

I'm about ready to cross walmart off my list anyway- because of other changes they have recently made with respect to older employees, self check out, and congestion in the aisles.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
Since they also stop selling ammo for hand guns and the ammo for AR's. I believe they will loose customers also, This is one person who will shop else where.

·
Super Moderator
19,641 Posts
Uh, gbusmech, can’t see your post.^^^^^^^^ #5 above.

·
Administrator
39,379 Posts
Ditto.

·
Registered
18,492 Posts
I sorta' doubt these walmart shooters were walking into the store for the first time and if on their previous visits, they'd observed even just a few people open carrying, they prob'ly woulda' picked a different venue.

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Super Moderator
19,641 Posts
As Walmart is owned out of Bentonville, Ark., it is ironic that Arkansas joined the Constitutional Carry list of states so recently.

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
The article i read about walmart said that ammo sales amount to like 2% of the annual profit, so loosing that probably isn't a big deal to them, the no open carry but can still concealed carry i think is a very poor way of trying to please both groups, fact is, walmart has pushed many smaller businesses out of business, and are the only option for a good portion of the country, no matter what you might hate about the place, if its the only place to get your food without having to drive 2-3 hours, very few people are going to stand firm on saying they wont go there due to this. when faced with both higher prices, and a long drive to get essentials.

I could see them stopping the sale of ammo that was used against them in 2 places inside 1 week, but my understanding was both incidents were rifle related, not handgun so stopping the handgun ammo is kind of odd to me. Could be wrong and one could have been handgun. not sure. They also i noticed in the same article i first read about this move, said that they are going to sell off current stock, just not order more once it is out. So it isnt like they are actually taking a real stance that costs them money, they are selling inventory they dont want to carry anymore, then not carrying it. I think the stance would have meant more if they pulled that inventory and destroyed it. Instead of the, we dont like this, but please buy it at a non-discounted rate.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Smokewagon is right, Walmart says no "OPEN-carry" of firearms, which I think is understandable given recent events.
Seeing someone walking around with a firearm on their belt when they are obviously not a LEO is a little unsettling.
And it's darn near insighting a panic when someone walks around with an AR-15 straped to their back, like that idiot in, what was it, Missouri?
I'm just glad they didn't post a "No-Guns Allowed" sign.

I am more concerned about their reduction in ammunition announcement.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
The only sign in our Walmarts in Denton Co. is this.

·
Administrator
39,379 Posts
In Texas, that's liable to change to a 30.07 sign.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Seeing someone walking around with a firearm on their belt when they are obviously not a LEO is a little unsettling.
I'm a female who is barely 5 feet tall. I open carry my handgun. I'm counting on making the criminals "unsettled" when they see me, and choose a different victim.

I'm still not sure why normal people (non-criminals) see this in front of them:

And translate it into being this:

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Given that I have never purchased any ammunition or firearms from Walmart, their change in policy for ammunition and firearm sales will not have any affect on me.
Here in Florida we do not have open carry yet (I wouldn't open carry even if we could legally do so) so I concealed carry wherever I go anyhow.
If a given business decides they do not want to allow legal carry, they no longer get my business.
Walmart lost my business a few years ago when I decided that there was nothing that I absolutely had to buy from them.
All too often, when I went to Walmart to buy something, I ended up leaving without it because I could not find the item I wanted in stock.

·
Administrator
35,117 Posts
The only sign in our Walmarts in Denton Co. is this.

In Texas, that means you carry as normal. Like Smoke said, if they put up 30.07, then you'll have to stick to concealed carry.

·
Premium Member
10,973 Posts
Add Kroger to the list too. I've only open carried once since it became legal in Texas. I use IWB and pocket holsters exclusively. I don't like Krogers and I've avoided Walmart for quite a few years now, after an incident involving a wrongfully fired WallyWorld employee. Several of you other guys said you weren't going back either, but that was years ago so, c'est la vie. The last time I was in a Walmart parking lot was to sell a PDW stock to a guy through Texas Gun Trader. After recent events I can understand why they would want an open carry prohibition, but don't really like that they knuckled under to the madding crowd.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well, my standard reply to concerns of this sort is...

Mr. Walmart’s house, Mr. Walmart’s rules. Y’all don’t sweat this. Not important in the Grand scheme of things. Not bein’ rude, just MHO.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
The thing about this that bothers me is that the .223 Remington is first and foremost a varmint/sporting round, and NOT a military round. If Walmart was really doing as they said, and that was not to sell "military" calibers, then I could see them not stocking 5.56 x 45mm, 7.62 x 51mm, or 7.62 x 39mm, certainly since the Walmart shooter shot the place up with a rifle chambered in the Russian round.

That also begs the question about the .308 Winchester, another hunting/sporting round. Besides, since that turd shot up that store with an AK pattern rifle, what is the deal with handgun ammo? You can tell some corporate wiener and a lawyer thought this one up, without even consulting anybody in the know on firearms.

It's all just more posturing to an American public that cannot think for itself anymore. It's all so typical for today's American...low hanging fruit, just waiting to be picked.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
OK, so you can't open carry in Walmart or Kroger. I conceal carry at all times anyway. But what if you conceal carry in a Walmart AND wear a shirt that openly says "I AM CARRYING A HANDGUN, YOU JUST CAN'T SEE IT." What are they gonna' do then? I mean, the fact that you're carrying a gun (and you better be) is pretty much advertised openly but it is not truly openly carried. Doesn't openly advertising that you are carrying a gun serve the same purpose as, well.. openly carrying that gun? Am I missing something here?

Heck, I might just start a business selling t-shirts with a screen printed Glock 43 on the front and "I am carrying a Glock 43" printed on the back. Hey, what about THIS t-shirt:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts