Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been buying ammo at our walmart for several years now
and have never needed an ID, it's obvious that I'm of age.

Today, I went there for a few items and decided to pick up a couple
boxes of 9mm.
I was told that my ID was necessary to purchase.
It was pouring down rain and I left my ID in the truck,
all I took in with me was cash.
The guy behind the counter said he had to see my ID.

I grabbed my wife out of the clothes dept and had her come over
to the ammo counter to show him some ID.
He said "no way, we don't allow straw purchases". (This ticked me off)

So out in the rain I go to get my ID.
I showed him the ID and asked him what this was all about.
He said that our Walmart can only sell ammunition to Indiana
residents and any state that shares a border with Indiana.
I asked why because there's no law requiring Walmart to do that.
He said well, "we get alot of illegals in here trying to buy"
I asked him if I looked like an illegal.
He said "Walmart gets sued everyday"
This reply made no sense to me because he just glanced
at my driver's license, this in no way could be helpful or harmful
in a lawsuit.

After a healthy discussion about political party influences,
which we disagreed on, he told me I could write a letter
to Walmart if I disagreed with this policy.
I said that I will most likely send my message by no longer
spending my money there.

I apologized to him, knowing that he was just following Walmart rules.

Has anyone else run into this?
I understand the age restriction on handgun ammunition, but this
seems to be a little overboard.
Their policy also covers CO2 cartridges and several other items.

It also seems that Walmart no longer wants to be in the ammo sales
business now.
Our Walmart discontinued firearms last summer.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
yup they always card me when i buy ammo, the really funny part is a lot of illegals have fake ID's, usually they are poorly done but at a glance will still be adaquete.

walmarts in my area done sell firearms except black powder rifles and cross bows.

have to drive about 20 miles to find a wal mart that sells long guns still.

their ammo inv is pathetic they only keep about 10 boxes of each on the shelfs.. most of the time they are outta 9mm which is what i shoot the most.

90% of the time no one is in the sporting goods department.. and i have to wait 10-20.. once 30 mins before they could get someone over there.

i found it funny that the last time i bought from there the guy was looking for the key.. the first place he looked was under the counter by the register.. which means they must keep the key there sometimes at least.. how stupid is it to keep the key unguarded 4 feet from the case?

oh ya and the wally world near me does'nt sell any 9mm HP's, they sell several other calibers in HP but not 9mm.. ya go figure that.

the only thing wally world is good for in my area is getting a box at a time.. if i buy a case (10 50rnd boxes) else where i can get it for practically the same price but in individual boxes of 50 rather then a 100 and 124gr which i like better then those loosly packed 115's

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After doing a little more research, i've found that
Walmart has changed their firearms policy to
appease Mayor Bloomberg and his campaign against
the gun industry.
This is bad.
I will not be supporting walmart in the future.
Kmart did the same thing and I don't miss spending money there either.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have not spent any money in Walmart in a long time and don't plan on it in the future. Sportsman Warehouse is about $2 more for the ammo that I use and they give a 5% military discount on everything. I would rather pay the extra couple bucks and avoid the hassles at Walmart. That place sucks!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
This policy hasn't hit VA yet, at least the clerk behind the counter did not card me... I was in with my son, and he was buying his first BB gun with B-day money.. While I was there, I picked up 2 boxes of Federal .22 bulk, and a couple boxes of .40. No ID, No Problem.. but of course, Bloomberg does not have much say here in the Commonwealth.. although NoVa is turning blue..

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have noticed a couple of times were there was no sales associate at the gun counter either.
I am about fed up with there b.s.

I came across some local gun stores in my area, and just decided to buy ammo from them. They can sure use my money more than stupid Walmart.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Bought two boxes last week at WalMart and the didn't give me any hassle at all.

·
Registered
113 Posts
At a little more rural Walmart a few months ago I bought at least a half-dozen CASES (1,200 rounds!) of trap-shooting shells for competetion and a Remington 15 Round Value Pack of Express 00 Buck and all that was different from other sales, but normal there, was something coming up on the register requiring I be over 18 or 21 or something and they didn't check or even ask this time (my ever-greying beard made it obvious).

That said, beside K-Mart who caved years ago, Walmart in our suburban town caved in a by not selling guns when they opened a first store here and now a second won't even sell ammo! Bless the all Democrat Town Board.

Alden :guns:

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I stopped giving my money to wall mart the day they sided with Bloomerberg, and I will not spend one more dime in their rat-hole of a store. The beautiful thing about capitalism is that you have the option of shopping somewhere else. That's exactly what I have done.

·
Super Moderator
22,420 Posts
They jumped there 40 and 45 cal Blazer brass ammo up $5.00 overnight when I complained they said I could go somwhere else. I left a full basket of groceries right there and walked out I told her she could return everything with her attitude. I'm getting really tired of these big stores customer service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
906 Posts
45 Forever said:
They jumped there 40 and 45 cal Blazer brass ammo up $5.00 overnight when I complained they said I could go somwhere else. I left a full basket of groceries right there and walked out I told her she could return everything with her attitude. I'm getting really tired of these big stores customer service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:clap:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Guys;
Don't be naive and silly. Walmart is the largest retailer in the US accounting for 10% of all our country's purchases -- do you understand where you fit into that? Furthermore, throwing a fit w/out the store manager, or better yet the headquarters, knowing why is absurd and meaningless excpt to the $7/hr. clerk who was annoyed by a "cheap gun-nut." Do this in an organized fashion but get your facts straight -- don't listen to rumor. Also, Walmart has typically supported the safe shooting sports vs. say a K-Mart so tread carefully.\ :guns:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alden said:
Do this in an organized fashion but get your facts straight -- don't listen to rumor. Also, Walmart has typically supported the safe shooting sports vs. say a K-Mart so tread carefully.\ :guns:
I agree there's no reason to throw a fit at all.
So what are the facts?

In my case, I had been buying ammo from this Walmart for 7 years
and had never been asked for ID.
Yesterday,
1) I was asked for ID, I left it in my truck,it was pouring down rain and I'm obviously old enough to buy.
Clerk tapped on the store policy notice and told me to read it.
2) One reason I was given was they can't sell to any non-local resident.
3) Second reason, I asked my wife to show her ID and the sale was refused stating it would be a "straw purchase"
4) Third reason, they get a lot of illegals attempting to buy ammo
5) Fourth reason, Walmart gets sued "everyday".

Is this just bad customer service?
Is it an isolated case of over-zealous store policy?
Or is the anti-gun crowd demonizing the industry so bad that
all consumers are suspected of being criminals?
Why would Walmart add more restrictions to the current laws?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I don't know the policy in MN walmarts. I usually get carded when I buy, but I look young. The last time I bought ammo I pulled my ID and the clerk said he didn't need to see it. We are not quite on a first name basis, but close.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Waaah -- WalMart has a policy to sell ammo to adult American citizens.
Waaah -- the employee enforced the rules on the likes of me and recognized a clear straw-purchase.
Waaah -- I have to pay what the seller asks and it was more than I wanted and a lot more than the bargain I used to get.
Waaah -- I was personally inconvenienced and didn't get my way.
Waaah!!!
Sorry
Alden

·
Super Moderator
22,420 Posts
Alden, I was going to respond to your post but seen you've been here only a short time and mostly just to harrass people. so enjoy your fun as most of us know each other pretty well and I doubt you'll be around vary long. :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Here in KS, they check only for age. I'm carded occasionally, usually if I've recently shaved, or if it's some old codger behind the counter.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I Guess it only in Indiana because the illegals get away with everything here in Texas and not only that if WalMart does not want to sell to illegals why do they hire most of them

I have been ID at walmart but im only 22 so i could look young and i agree with that

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
With having to park further from the sporting goods department, and walking a mile to get there too, after I am in the store, and Dicks Sporting Goods is closer for me, and 1/4 the distance to the ammo area I have no problem not entering Wally world again. I hate the darn place anyway. I have been in ours probably 6 or 7 times since it was built.

Dicks prices usually just about the same as Wally's any way.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.