Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having read about a Buffalo Bore anti-personnel load, in the .45 Colt, using a 250gr. wadcutter bullet I did a bit of searching and found this bullet.

It's a hard cast bullet with a full .452" metplat area. What do you all think about it for a carry load in the .45 Colt?

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Should have awesome knockdown and penetration properties.

·
Registered
24,848 Posts
It will certainly bust a lot of bones.

Reactions: Lomax and BigBlue

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Better hope you don't need to to reload. Them sharp edges are gonna suck.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Looks like that much blunt force should take any assailant down that's a large projectile with a lot of power driving it. I personally think it would do the trick.

Reactions: Lomax

·
Registered
345 Posts
I would suggest that the bullet would not perform as some expect. Wad cutters were mad to put holes in paper not people. The aerodynamics of a blunt bullet are not,the same as a shaped bullet like FMJ or JHP. Because of that the wadcutter is going to slow down faster than other bullets. That means the bullet weight advantage will be reduced by the speed loss. It simply is not designed for self defense. And I am not going to get into,the recoil of a pistol firing thatnround and its affection accuracy.

Reactions: Trotline

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Not actually a wadcutter in the traditional sense. Hard cast, rather than swaged from soft lead, with a proud meplat above the top driving band, it is more of a Semi-wadcutter along the Keith lines and I am sure it can be driven a lot faster than any swaged wadcutter. The large, hard meplat will pop a huge temporary wound channel delivering maximum knockdown power while it will penetrate and cut through bone. It more than likely will exit the far side of the target leaving a large wound channel and a significant blood trail. Loss of velocity won't be an issue inside 25 yards, and is probably not an issue out over 100 yards, just as I suspect bullet drop is not going to be anything out of the ordinary for any 250 grain .45 caliber bullet. You did not say how fast you intend to push it, but I would load it up just on the subsonic side of supersonic. Not going supersonic means you miss the accompanying concussion and flash, which IMO is much better for indoors defense. It will also punch through walls, doors, barriers, car doors, etc. like nobody's business.

It actually reminds me of Range Dog's bullet designs, except his would be about 30-40 grains heavier in .45LC. It also looks like it would be good on big game out of a lever gun inside 100 yards.

·
Super Moderator
35,342 Posts
I shot 3 pigs with .38 WCs, hard cast, wondering how they'd work. It's a light target load. The results surprised me, full penetration with amazing tissue destruction. It got me thinkin', but yeah, I wouldn't wanna try to get a speed loader full of 'em into the cylinder in a hurry.

·
Administrator
40,258 Posts
That isn't a traditional wadcutter, and I think it would do well as a defensive projectile.

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Registered
36,775 Posts
everybody has to make the decision about a carry load.
myself in a 44 spl, 45 colt my carry load would be a modern HP of all copper design and no more FPS than was needed for reliable expansion.
and with a modern copper HP that would not be to fast.
don't think that I would be to concerned about penetration with a 200 plus weight projectile moving at about 800 FPS plus.
but hey that's just me, I am at heart a speed junky.

·
Administrator
40,258 Posts
I was just over on Missouri Bullet Cos. site checking prices for some .45 Colt bullets. I found that they offer the bullet being discussed in this thread. They call it The Slammer. 315gr. Should be pretty cool in a lever gun.

·
Registered
220 Posts
As for reloading the gun, I think it's easy dealt with, just have 6, 7 wadcutter in your gun and then reload (if necessary) with "the usual material" so you're still fast for reloading. I doubt it will ever come to that case with a .45, as long as you don't miss.

·
22,952 Posts
I would consider that an outstanding choice as a defensive round. I'd try for about 850 to 950 fps. And bonus, if you need to defend yourself against an animal, you have a much better round for it than any hollowpoint.

Excellent choice.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
As for reloading the gun, I think it's easy dealt with, just have 6, 7 wadcutter in your gun and then reload (if necessary) with "the usual material" so you're still fast for reloading. I doubt it will ever come to that case with a .45, as long as you don't miss.
My concern is that the square edge on the nose would be a hindrance especially when using a speedloader.

I think the "wadcutter" name is a mite misleading. I think it is more of a wide nose, flat point.

·
Super Moderator
35,342 Posts
My concern is that the square edge on the nose would be a hindrance especially when using a speedloader.

I think the "wadcutter" name is a mite misleading. I think it is more of a wide nose, flat point.

basco said it, just carry SWC or hollow points in your speed loader, load the gun with these bullets.

BUT, I don't see a big advantage and I like the fact that other bullets have street creds, stuff like the Winchester silver tips. As much as .38 wadcutters impressed me, I don't trust anything in my .38, but 158 grain JHPs at +P pressures, myself. If I had a .45 Colt snubby, I MIGHT try these bullets, but I also like the idea of double .454" RBs loaded in front of Bullseye. Boy, two .44 caliber RB at once just HAS to work. :laugh: I see problems with THAT idea, too, though. What if you had to head shoot someone holding a hostage? IDPA often has hostage targets you aren't suppose to hit. You don't know for sure where that second RB is going to go. I'd have to play with that some more before I'd commit to carrying it. JHPs ain't broke, especially .45 caliber ones. :D

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
basco said it, just carry SWC or hollow points in your speed loader, load the gun with these bullets.

BUT, I don't see a big advantage and I like the fact that other bullets have street creds, stuff like the Winchester silver tips. As much as .38 wadcutters impressed me, I don't trust anything in my .38, but 158 grain JHPs at +P pressures, myself. If I had a .45 Colt snubby, I MIGHT try these bullets, but I also like the idea of double .454" RBs loaded in front of Bullseye. Boy, two .44 caliber RB at once just HAS to work. :laugh: I see problems with THAT idea, too, though. What if you had to head shoot someone holding a hostage? IDPA often has hostage targets you aren't suppose to hit. You don't know for sure where that second RB is going to go. I'd have to play with that some more before I'd commit to carrying it. JHPs ain't broke, especially .45 caliber ones. :D
I think they are over thinking the bullet. You don't need or want a hard cast bullet in this case. If fact, I want just the opposite- a pure lead or 20:1 alloy bullet that hasn't been quenched. You use hard cast for deep penetration and to cut down on deformation. I WANT the big slug to mushroom under these circumstances. Cutting cookie cutter holes is cool on the range on paper. For self defense, I want as much energy transfer, hydrostatic shock, internal disruption and expansion of the primary and secondary wound channels as I can get. Soft lead will give that to you in a manner hard cast won't at the velocities we are realistically going to get.

The .45Colt is a low pressure round. You can hit 900-950fps but you won't see it from something like a 2 or 3 inch Charter or Taurus 5 shooter. In some cases, you're lucky if you break 700fps from that short of a tube.

At that low of a velocity, hard cast isn't going to deform. I've seen hard cast 250's that hit steel plates at low velocities that were almost reusable when you picked them up.

Me? I want something soft that's gonna waller around, spread out a mite and make itself to home as it moves along.

·
Super Moderator
35,342 Posts
Does a .451" diameter bullet REALLY need to deform? :laugh:

The flat meplat would put some hurt on the tissue around it.

·
22,952 Posts
For self defense, I want as much energy transfer, hydrostatic shock, internal disruption and expansion of the primary and secondary wound channels as I can get.
Hydrostatic shock helps as a wounding mechanism with rifle rounds. I've never read anything that demonstrates it helps with handgun rounds; they don't have nearly the energy rifle rounds do. Same for secondary wound channels.

Reactions: olfarhors
1 - 20 of 32 Posts