Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where to begin, Hmmm. Well, let's start with my PT1911. I love this gun, it performs really well and after I finish firing it. I am left with a wanting to shoot it some more. For me it is a great introduction into the 1911 line. That having been said, my only minor gripe with it is the finish. I know that Blued finishes wear over time, but I feel that time will be a bit more cruel to my beloved PT1911. So, here are some of my options. I can send my pistol back to Taurus within a years time and they will re-blue the gun free of charge. My next option would be to void the warranty, buy sending it to a qualified gunsmith and having the gun's trigger and hammer polished; then have the gun blued with a more durable coating.

I've called Taurus and asked them, and they basically said that any modifications does void the warranty. Any other options?

Mike

·
Registered
111 Posts
do to the fact that the 1911 has been around so long there is a large aftermarket for parts out there and barring a slide or frame cracking voiding the warranty would not be that big a issue, at least with me, I have 2 PT1911's and plan on sending one of them off to S&W or Springfield and have it blued in a deep blue polished finish ( cost about 200.00m ) and when that one gets back and I'm sure it functions OK then I'm gonna get the slide hard chromed on the other one, not sure what I want to do with the frame on that one yet. so in my case I would do the trigger mods if you have a good smith.

·
Registered
116 Posts
schlemer said:
Where to begin, Hmmm. Well, let's start with my PT1911. I love this gun, it performs really well and after I finish firing it. I am left with a wanting to shoot it some more. For me it is a great introduction into the 1911 line. That having been said, my only minor gripe with it is the finish. I know that Blued finishes wear over time, but I feel that time will be a bit more cruel to my beloved PT1911. So, here are some of my options. I can send my pistol back to Taurus within a years time and they will re-blue the gun free of charge. My next option would be to void the warranty, buy sending it to a qualified gunsmith and having the gun's trigger and hammer polished; then have the gun blued with a more durable coating.

I've called Taurus and asked them, and they basically said that any modifications does void the warranty. Any other options?

Mike
What!?!?!? you got to be kidding me. I plan to polish my the barrel of my 24/7 pro this completey voids the life time warrenty of my fire arm?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
zemus said:
What!?!?!? you got to be kidding me. I plan to polish my the barrel of my 24/7 pro this completey voids the life time warrenty of my fire arm?
Hey zemus,

When I spoke to a Taurus CS rep. She told me that (after putting me on hold and speaking to her manager) If I were to have the Blued finish removed, to then re-apply another finish (blued, nickle, or simply polish it to the bear metal). It would void the warranty. Now having said that, if I were you I would call Taurus and ask for a higher up to see if this would apply in your situation. When I'm ready to have any work done on my PT191, I'll call again to be reassured. If I have to void the warranty, then so be it.

Judging by what I've been reading the last couple of days. I feel that we expect too much when a company says they will warrant a product for life. Look at Craftsman tools. How many abuse their tools because Sears warrants their tools for life and get upset when they will not honor such warranty when the owner leaves the tool out in the rain for a week. Then expects sears to give him a new one because it rusted.

Basically, If you buy something you own it and can do whatever you want with it. If you wish to modify it, do it. But we should not expect a company to warrant it's product once modified unless it is not specified by the defined set of exceptions (which Taurus does).

Zemus, the second and third paragraphs are not directed at you. It's just a generalization and an indirect response to a different thread. It was just starting to bug me.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with Frostyeyes on this one. The 1911 design has been around for all most a century. With the number of gunsmiths out there who can do a great job on repairing one, I wouldn't worry to much about the warranty on PT1911. However, if you have another type of Taurus, then I wouldn't do anything to it that would void the warranty.

That's my .02.

·
Registered
116 Posts
damn well this is a tough one do I polish my barrel to a mirror shine or void the warrenty?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would like to have my Raging bull 500 polished to match my 454 that came factory polished and also my.44 bull

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hmm. I know this is an old post, but it has me thinking. Have you guys ever heard of the Magnussen-Moss act? It basically says your warranty cannot be voided legally unless a modification you did caused the failure. I don't know the details of the taurus warranty, but I can't see how it would be different. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Modify or customize your pistol to make it what your want. I have modified all of my PT1911's with new internals, triggers and hammers. My original blued pistol was refinished with a ceramic coat and a stainless model is being bead blasted to remove any trace of shine. I don't care if the warranty is void. Unless the frame or slide develop cracks, I can repair most other problems. For those that I cannot fix I will use my regular smith. Life is too short to worry about the warranty. Customize to your likeing then enjoy the heck out of it.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
If I read the Taurus warranty correctly, the gun is warranted for life with some noted exceptions. The Cosmetic appearance / Finish of the gun is only warranted for 1 year from the date of purchase. In keeping with the Magnussen-Moss Act; if you modify your finish prior to the end of the first year of ownership, you would void the warranty on the finish but not on the rest of the gun - UNLESS the modification to the finish somehow causes a failure to some other function of the gun. For Example: If you decide to grind off the hard edges of the frame (melting the frame is the common term for this) and you get a frame crack, don't expect to get your gun fixed by Taurus. Just having the gun Reblued should only void the warranty on the finish, not the rest of the gun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts