Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and I swung by these two stores on the way back from a visit to the Bluebell Creamery in Brenham last week. Adjacent to each other (check Google Maps), they are are located just off of FM 50, a short drive north from downtown Brenham.

Ammo-to-Go does not really have a storefront. You enter an office where ~ 3 customer service officers are answering phonecalls from online customers. There is a computer set up where you can set up an account and place an order (pickup). One of the staffmembers will fetch your ammo from the back for you, and you're on your way. You'll pay TX sales tax, of course. Nice people, and they serve you efficiently even though they are not really a retail location.

Independence Firearms was packed, considering it was the 3 pm on a work day (albeit during Spring Break). Their store is divided into three sections, with new handguns and AR-style rifles at the center section by the entrance. The handguns are ordered by caliber, and they are densely arranged in the glass display cases. There aren't placards, so you either need to recognize what you're looking for, or you need to stare hard at the tags to look at the description. They have a wall full of ammunition too, including DRS ammo in plastic bags. The ammo prices are not impressive, and you're probably better off going next door. The left section contains bags and other sundry items, whereas the used guns and cleaning supplies are sold in the right section. Prices seem attractive at Independence Firearms, but I have good options where I live, so I won't be spending gas just to buy from them. If you have a reason to be there, it is a pretty good place to check out.

·
Registered
31,902 Posts
Blue Bell Ice Cream, Guns and Ammo, what a wonderful way to spend a day! A case of Shiner, a couple of pounds of German sausage and I'd be thinking I died and was in Heaven! :)

Oh, and I almost forgot, throw in a couple of those beautiful Texas women! :)

Reactions: rodfair

·
Registered
31,902 Posts
You folks who have never been to Texas, just really don't know what life is all about!

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I frequently drive through Brenham on Hwy 105 on my way to Austin on 290. My family and co-workers are all frequent visitors to Blue Bell; a few weeks ago the regular Blue Bell factory store was closed for remodeling we went upstairs in the other building to get our fix of ice cream. I don't know if it is company policy or just the young lady behind the ice cream counter, but wearing a "Vietnam Veteran" ball cap meant free ice cream! She told us that there was no charge for veterans!

We have seen the billboards for the various gun shops on 105 and 290, but despite passing them dozens of times over the past few years, we had never stopped in.

On my next trip to Austin in a few weeks, I will have to stop in!

Thanks for the review.

TD

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I've wanted to stop in that gun shop for some time while travelling to Austin up 290 for work.

The last time I stopped in a gun shop while travelling to a job out of town, I bought a gun. It might cost me some money if I make that stop near Brenham. :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts