Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Will the recent tragedies at VaTech give Congress the opportunity to change gun laws again?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, GOD BLESS ALL WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN THE VIRGINIA TECH SHOOTINGS. Now, is this going to be ammo for the liberal anti-gunners to try and pass some f##ked up kind of bill to restrict or ban firearms?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I first saw the news about it on fox news and they had a guy on there talking about how guns are tools and can only be used to the best or worst of the persons ability. Now im sure this guy was not a liberal givin his demeanor but he really spoke the truth. It was a terrible thing that happened to those people but in reality you can kill people with a pencil so are they going to ban those.....No. We have to face that we are fragile beings that can be killed fairly easily, the modern firearm just does it quickly. The problem is that they can ban guns but when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns and people will find ways to kill their fellow man, we're kinda sick like that unfortnatly. I didn't see many details on the shooting but I do feel very sorry for the families of those people. Hopefully the liberals won't take this and run with it but their business is pain and suffering so they very well might take this as an opportunity to try out their crap, who knows.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, unfortunately, and not for the better. You can never dissuade the deranged individual from carrying out acts like those at Virginia Tech. Which is why I always carry. I'm especially aware when I'm in crowded environments like malls and fast-food restaurants. The crazies seem drawn to locations where presumably defenseless people congregate. I've always agreed with the thinking of Tom Gresham @ Guntalk. If you can flee, then flee. If you can't, take them down! :guns:

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Just an FYI, its illegal (I think a felony) to carry on campus. Regardless of whether or not you are charged, you will be expelled. Don't you just love those gun-free zones?

And I do believe that Congress will try to mess with the Second Amendment over this.

Steelheart

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah its to bad that those poor people couldn't defend themselves, but maybe this will raise the question of why crazy people go where they know people won't shoot back. I think(and this is my opinion)that if everybody could carry everywhere there would be a lot less crime and violence, and I already heard rumblings of the liberals getting out on the anti-gun war path, they don't miss a moment to push their agenda. Everything is political to them and human life is no more than a way to get the vote, its really sad.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Thats a question that the liberals don't want asked. Just try to remember that not all Democrats/Liberals are anti-gun. Just like not all Republicans/Conservatives are pro-gun. Sounds like this might be a good time to call your reps to ask for the ability to defend your life everywhere you go. Yes, the odds are that it won't happen but not to long ago there was a nation wide carry reciprocy bill floating around D.C.

This kind of horror just gives me another reason to take most/all of my classes online whenever I make it back into school.

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
34,953 Posts
Oh, they may well try, but the democratic majority was won, in large part, by the election of blue dogs who favor the second amendment, like that guy who's aid was caught with the representative's gun in his brief case entering the capital the other day. I believe that guy was from Virginia, too. He's staunchly pro second amendment. I don't think Pelosi will get him or his ilk to walk lock step with her and her liberal left wing dems who control the party. They wouldn't even be TRYING all this new effort at gun control were it not for the democratic take over of congress. It'll be a thorn in them in the '08 election whether they know it or not. Astute political advisers point out that in a national election, a left wing gun control platform is a loser. This may wind up being a win, win for our side.

Besides, I like to think optimistically. ;D

·
Super Moderator
34,953 Posts
Besides that, I think this may be the fuel that gets some of these "gun free zones" eliminated. If the NRA makes good and sues appropriate governments on behalf of at least a few of the victims here for damages, this could change things for the better. I heard it stated on TV by Susanne Gratia Hupp (republican Texas) that if legally carried firearms are restricted in such "gun free zones" by law, then morally the government should be required to guaranty the safety of any individual in that zone and that they should be held liable in civil court for such grievances. This could get interesting in the civil courts.

·
Super Moderator
34,953 Posts
If you can flee, then flee. If you can't, take them down!
Personally, if I saw something like this going down, someone wantonly taking life, and I was armed (always am) and could stop it, even if I could run, I'd take action and engage the idiot. I know, I know, some states you can't by law, but in Texas you are morally REQUIRED to do so and legally justified in doing so to protect innocent life. I love Texas. :D

You may think me stupid for not thinking of myself first and getting out of there, but I'd want someone to do the same for me if it was my daughter in the sights of a madman. I just plain couldn't live with my conscience if I could have stopped it and ran. I could justify it with logic, but I could not justify the morality of running when I could have stopped it.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I completely agree. In Mn I would be legally required to retreat if possible. I know that I would cover the retreat of any/all unarmed people around me to a safe location. After that I should retreat myself but I suspect that I would rather attempt to assist others in safely evacuating the site. And this course of action might just allow me to halt or at the minimum pause the slaughter.

It would be great if the NRA (or other pro-gun organization) went proactive vs reactive for a change. The Virgina bill that was killed in committee last year is going to come back to haunt some people, I hope.

I will admit that I haven't allowed myself to be immersed in all the media coverage. But the victim that keeps running through my mind is that Israeli prof who was a Holocaust survivor who stopped Cho from entering the classroom, saving the lives of his students at the cost of his own.

Steelheart

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hear that the Democrats, which I happen to be one of the pro-gun ones, have made a deal on a gun bill that is pleasing to the NRA? I wonder what the details are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts