Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for others that have a cc 1970's Model 82.

As far as I can tell, I've got a late 1970s Model 82. I've never had this gun apart (I inherited this gun from my FIL after he passed away). I am trying to determine if my frame is broken. There appears to be a crack that can be seen in the photo I've included. It is beneath the top screw on the right side. I guess it's possible this may be where the right side plate separates from the frame but it looks more like a crack to me. If it is a crack, it is deep and goes all the way through to the back side of that part of the frame. My question for old Model 82 owners is, does your gun have this? :confused:

·
Registered
7,081 Posts

·
Registered
32,019 Posts
Looks like the top of the side plate to me.
I concur. If you don't believe us, you can ship the 82 to my house and I will dispose of it for you! :p

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Look at this photo, busykngt. It is of a different gun with no screw up top, but it might clear things up for you.

·
Registered
32,019 Posts
Look at this photo, busykngt. It is of a different gun with no screw up top, but it might clear things up for you.

Chico loves a chance to take his M-85 apart, take pictures, then put it back together so he can intimidate Newbys!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Let's see if I can remember that far back. In the 70s, I had one of the first Taurus revolvers I'd ever seen. It was a .22lr, but the cylinder looked just like yours. The cylinder cuts were serrated just like yours, and the rips looked like they were cut out of a pine-like substance. The gun shot very well, but I could tell it was an inexpensive gun. I remember the frame looking very similar to yours, but the frame wasn't cracked. The screw held in frame in place. On the newer revolvers, there is not a screw, anymore and the shield is a different part of the frame. I think your gun is still ok, with no cracks.
Of course my rememberer doesn't work as well as it used to. From the look of it, though, it looks ok.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've had an 82 apart before, it's the side plate. rest easy my friend!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody for your inputs. Yes I had studied chichorrones photos before. But since his model didn't have a screw at that location, it was hard for me to believe Taurus would have drilled and tapped a mounting screw that close to the edge of the plate. As you can see, it's so close that the screw's head actually overlaps the break seam. (Generally not good practice when it comes to metal work). Okay, based on everyone's comment that the gun is still 'good to go' - I'm going to ask another question of the experts here (thank goodness you're experts!). HOWEVER, I'm going to start a new thread since it's basically a different problem. If anyone can help me there, I would kindly ask you to take the time to look it up. THANKS again for all your help!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have the exact same type of "vintage" Taurus, except mine is a model 83 with adjustable sights....i.e. a S&W Model 15 clone. These were made when S&W and Taurus were owned by the same parent company - Bangor Punta.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can see the upper screw hole right above the sideplate opening.
Yep! That's it. Appears my old(er) model 82 has the hole even a little closer to the edge than what shows in that photo of the S&W but that's basically it. And thank you chicharrones, I enjoyed that article too. It shed some light on common causes for less than smooth trigger & cocking action in these old revolvers. Between that article and your disassembly instructions/photos, I may give it a shot at a more thorough & detailed cleaning. I apprecate the help - thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the exact same type of "vintage" Taurus, except mine is a model 83 with adjustable sights....i.e. a S&W Model 15 clone.
Adjustable sights would be better; the old model 82 doesn't really "qualify" as having a rear sight in my judgment!

So looking at the original photo I posted, your right side frame plate breaks apart at the same location? (and as can be seen on the link that chicharrones posted, right?)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Here is my older Model 83.........I had to take a little off the forcing cone to keep it from locking up after 12 rounds, but it's a good "range beater"

I added some fitted S&W targets that were made from a beat up set of N-frame grips.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Busy -- I just bought a dozen of these for my gunshop and took the rattiest one to learn on. These are made VERY similiar to older Smiths and that top screw is a little shorty that holds the top of the sideplate on. Be very careful if you remove the sideplate as the cylinder hand goes into a cam on the underside of the hammer and is pretty tough to get lined back up ---- seeing you have to put it back in the sideplate behind a plunger and spring and then gently get it back into the trigger and cam at the same time.

Art

1 - 16 of 16 Posts