Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Has been some time since I've been active in the Taurus world. Promise to add pics asap but I've gotta brag first. I think so anyways.

I have been doing some trades back and forth and I ended up with a sweet sks. 67 zastava m59. Arsenal rebuild still in cosmoline. Anyway I forgot how shady the firing pins were in the sks and after dealing with popped primers I replaced the firing pin, bought spares, and put it up for trade. First offer was a mint Taurus model 65. I knew just by the look it wasn't a new production and he mentioned his father got it in the 80s. I've actually been looking at getting a .357 so made the deal even sweeter. I knew the sks was rare and I had some pretty rare extras. So we agreed in a trade with cash on top on his end.

Anyways she's a sweet blued model 65 that is in outstanding condition. Used but not abused and not much use other than some random range time I suspect. She hasn't cycled much rounds I can tell from the cylinder. Bore and rifling look good. Super tight bore I can tell from a bit of the blue coming off. I've had that happen with comparable S&W with less than 100 rounds. No complaints there other than possible deposits in the bore from neglect on the internals BUT 0 on the outside. Soak the barrel with some hoppes and I'm sure she's cherry.

Of course taurus SN search got me nowhere. If anybody can help date it that would be awesome. I figure 80s or early 90s at the latest. I'm already itching to find some grips from our Thailand connection.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous. I wish that Taurus would offer "Classic Series" pistols like Smith & Wesson so that I could buy a Taurus M66 Classic.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I hope you got a fair amount of cash with it.That is a beautiful revolver!

I don't want Taurus to make a classic series as it would only diminish the value of ours I fear.Plus I don't exactly trust their quality control these days.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope you got a fair amount of cash with it.That is a beautiful revolver!

I don't want Taurus to make a classic series as it would only diminish the value of ours I fear.Plus I don't exactly trust their quality control these days.

Well considering the sks woulda been $500 on the low end, let's say I can buy one of those 59/66 to replace it and keep this ol paper weight I traded for

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My OCD has me bothered with the grips. They don't match. The grain pattern isn't the same. I may or may not get a new set but I need to see how she shoots before all of that. With snap caps I can tell the SA is insanely good, the DA has a smooth take up and clean break.

·
Registered
948 Posts
If you are talking about the pics at the top of this page, then I agree. The right side looks "normal" and quite nice. The left side has more of a bias cut or plywood look. I don't know if it would bother me too much personally, as long as they are solid and fit the gun and my hand.

My OCD has me bothered with the grips. They don't match. The grain pattern isn't the same. I may or may not get a new set but I need to see how she shoots before all of that. With snap caps I can tell the SA is insanely good, the DA has a smooth take up and clean break.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Absolutely gorgeous. I wish that Taurus would offer "Classic Series" pistols like Smith & Wesson so that I could buy a Taurus M66 Classic.

Actually today with the extra cash I got on trade I found a model 66 but I wasn't too thrilled about the barrel length.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts