Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Maybe it was the sandbag. Undue upward pressure.

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
You know what that kinda looks like? maybe the cylinder didn't line up exactly with the barrel, or the cylinder travelled too far somehow, and BOOM - the bullet blew the barrel right off the gun. Either that, or somebody made an unsafe modification to the gun. That's pretty wild........

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
You know what that kinda looks like? maybe the cylinder didn't line up exactly with the barrel, or the cylinder travelled too far somehow, and BOOM - the bullet blew the barrel right off the gun. Either that, or somebody made an unsafe modification to the gun. That's pretty wild........
hard telling being a rental but you might be right.. sounds plausible to me..

omg i never seen nothing quite like that.. usually when they say the barrel is shot out they dont mean it literally.

looked like a 627 tracker.. i sure hope nothing like that happens to mine.. if i survive it i'll be beyond pissed!

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
joe sixpack said:
hard telling being a rental but you might be right.. sounds plausible to me..

omg i never seen nothing quite like that.. usually when they say the barrel is shot out they dont mean it literally.

looked like a 627 tracker.. i sure hope nothing like that happens to mine.. if i survive it i'll be beyond pissed!
sitting thru the slow motion at the last of it, and noticeing it in earlier run thrus, I would say it was way out of synch. Did you notice the large flame pattern, on the upper left, looks like the barrel and cylinder were definitely not lined up. But I think like you all he was lucky has heck, that the barrel left the frame.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Actually, I've heard that Smith and Wesson has been having problems with alloy, scandium or something, not sure, guns chunkin' barrels. I had a forcing cone on my M10 split once, had to have a new barrel installed. But, never seen anything that catastrophic. Timing on any revolver with enough wear will go out. Any gun with heavy use should be checked now and then. Range guns are not loved like mine are, though. If you're going to wear a gun out, rent it every day. Apparently, this range doesn't keep an eye on their rentals. It could cost them in liability some day not to keep up with their guns.

K frames, medium frame guns like my two M66s are not as tough as L frames and Ruger revolvers. I don't put a lot of magnums through mine and never did my M19 Smith, either. They will wear rapidly with a steady diet of heavy loads. The L frame was created by Smith to address this problem in the early 80s just as police departments were climbing on the wonder 9 band wagon. K frame magnums were popular revolvers in the 60s/70s in police armories, but they did not hold up well to heavy 125 grain loads.

Actually, I can't tell what brand the gun is. It doesn't say it's a Taurus, but it doesn't look like a K frame. Looks like a 686 truth be told, an L frame gun. I can't see where it says it's a range rental, either. Where are all these details? LOL

edit.....Oh, never mind, I found it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The first shots show the pistol blowing most of the flame out the left side before the sandbag shots.I am not too sure the guy didn't get hurt some.If you watch it he has his left index finger right along side the cylinder.When he fires he folded his fingers up like it might have burnt just a little.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Oh My Goodness...I have never seen anything like that... :eek:

Suprise,Suprise :(

I have heard of guns blowing up and such, but that is the first time I have seen something like that..

Wild Video :D

·
Administrator
40,396 Posts
When I was about 16, I had a .22 RG, I believe it was. Did the very same thing. You could tell it with close examination (lead splatter etc.) that the barrel and cylinder did not line up. Didn't hurt me or anything like that. That's my guess anyway. :drool:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Don't believe it was the gun on it's own. Too much flash, could be damaged gun, or outa sink as said, which could be due to first, or did anyone ask if it was an idiot with his own reloads? Seems funny that people go to range to video a rented gun, think about it. :???:

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
Smokewagon said:
Didn't hurt me or anything like that.
And THAT is how he got voted Most Handsomest Moderator..... :p

·
Administrator
40,396 Posts
Smart Aleck... :fart:

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
They said they were shooting magtech factory loads. I'm not familiar with most of the factory stuff as I never buy factory ammo in .38 or .357, but it should have been safe. I figure it was just a well worn gun, being a range loaner, probably had a steady diet of overly hot handloads and stuff fired in it, likely rarely saw .38 special. Sooner or later a revolver that's used for tens of thousands of rounds of hot ammo is going to go out of time and get end shake.

My Blackhawk, when I shoot it, usually gets mostly .357 handloads, some of 'em hotter than I would shoot in a lesser gun. The M66 Taurus revolvers I have are equivalent to a K frame Smith and I treat them to mostly .38 special with some .357 loads well within pressure limits for the cartridge. They'll last a long, long time, a lifetime for me and my grandkids will perhaps get to enjoy them if I take care of 'em like I do. Range guns, though, see no love at all. LOL

·
Registered
532 Posts
I find it odd that they were videotaping at just the right time for the barrel to come flying off. Whenever I see something, like this, I can't help but think that it is, somehow, staged.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Mikeo said:
I find it odd that they were videotaping at just the right time for the barrel to come flying off. Whenever I see something, like this, I can't help but think that it is, somehow, staged.
I actually have set up two camera's from different angles at the same time, to figure out what the heck I was doing wrong. Of course, I was out doors on my own small shooting area, but video is just a great way to see what the heck is going on, that even an instructor might miss, but reviewing more than once you spot things, especially when you can go thru it frame by frame.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts