Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
21,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
75 years ago today. What a senseless waste of life. Thank God for the men and women who were willing to pay the price necessary to stand up to the Fascists.

VE Moscow.jpg

VE Paris.jpg

VE London.jpg

ve-day-Times-Square.jpg

I wish we remembered better than we do.

·
Registered
18,509 Posts
It most certainly was a waste of American lives, we never should've been there. At the time, it seemed right I suppose. Who could've imagined then that the ones we helped liberate from tyranny, would endeavor ever since to get back under it. The eu is everything Hitler was trying to achieve and more, we should've left him alone.

·
21,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. We should have stayed out? Unbelievable.

And the EU is everything Hitler was trying to achieve? Hmm, explain that to a Holocaust survivor.

Like I said, it's sad how little we remember.

·
Super Moderator
35,582 Posts
It most certainly was a waste of American lives, we never should've been there. At the time, it seemed right I suppose. Who could've imagined then that the ones we helped liberate from tyranny, would endeavor ever since to get back under it. The eu is everything Hitler was trying to achieve and more, we should've left him alone.
Sorry, I don't subscribe to letting genocidal maniacs have free run on other sovereign nations. Do you suppose for a minute that North America was not in his sights? How about the race for atomic weapons? Maybe Hitler would have subscribed to not using chemical and biologic weapons since he only wanted to incinerate Jewish people and other "undesirables"? He was very close to perfecting missile and jet propulsion aircraft.

Our intelligence from post war until now tells us that all of the above were on his agenda. Our mistake was not interceding in 1939. That would have saved millions of lives both here and abroad.

·
Registered
18,509 Posts
Wow. We should have stayed out? Unbelievable.

And the EU is everything Hitler was trying to achieve? Hmm, explain that to a Holocaust survivor.

Like I said, it's sad how little we remember.
The methods may have changed but the goal is still the same. The eu still wants rid of the Jews. They just went from using gas chambers, to supporting terrorists against Israel. We didn't stop anything.

·
Premium Member
12,565 Posts
After VE Day, we would still go on to lose a lot of young lives on Okinawa

Reactions: 777Driver

·
21,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I continued to be staggered by the "we didn't change anything" response in a thread celebrating Victory in Europe.

It's a remarkably narrow view, ignoring the freedom of the millions of people in France, the low countries, scandanavia, and Italy. I'd add eastern Europe, but the Iron Curtain casts a bit of a shadow there. But millions upon millions were liberated. What our fellow Americans did apparently meant something to the people of Strasbourg, France.

E1HGC9.jpg

And if you choose to focus on just the Jews, I'd say it made a difference for them as well. It's widely believed that the Holocaust led directly to the establishment of the nation of Israel. Yes, there has been terrorism and even wars attempting to wipe the nation of Israel off the map. Let's compare the impact of those wars and the terrorism some say the EU has encouraged to what our soldiers and those of the other allies put a stop to.

Untitled.jpg

I'd say "We didn't stop anything" is a remarkably uninformed opinion. And, quite frankly, I find it an abhorrent "contribution" to a discussion of the celebration of the fact that the Axis was defeated.

·
Super Moderator
35,582 Posts
While I have no love for the former Soviet Union, and not much for the pseudo Capitalist country of Russia today, they did lose over twenty million people in that war which occurred in their homeland. That has to leave an impact on a nation's psyche. Of course this depends on how the history is written and presented to subsequent citizens.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
The methods may have changed but the goal is still the same. The eu still wants rid of the Jews. They just went from using gas chambers, to supporting terrorists against Israel. We didn't stop anything.

Easy to make that claim 'we didnt stop anything' when it is impossible to see what the results would have been without US involvement. I do know that from around the world in messages on the internet, I see thanks given daily to the US for liberating their people from oppression of the Nazi, Fascist Italy, and/or Imperial Japanese aggression. One thing for certain, we stopped those jerks at that time. Evil always rises up, and the righteous must be prepared to sacrifice to beat evil down while the weak, whiny, ignorant sisters who pooh pooh earlier successes at stomping out evil have not place at the table even discussing it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts