Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just picked up this PT92 last week and couldn't help wondering how old it was checked the taurus website for the serial # and it doesn't show up I think it's 80 to 84 let me know what you guys think it is the mag release is down by bottom of the left rear grip

Attachments

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Hi just picked up this PT92 last week and couldn't help wondering how old it was checked the taurus website for the serial # and it doesn't show up I think it's 80 to 84 let me know what you guys think it is the mag release is down by bottom of the left rear grip
I have no idea the year since it had to be early in the production after they took over the Beretta plant in Brazil to still have the magazine release in the old Beretta 92 position. However they seemed to have moved the safety down already which I assume they keep on the slide for awhile in their first runs.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Beautiful.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I remember those. I'd bought a Beretta 92S in early '81 and a shooting buddy bought a Taurus 92 a few months later. I paid $325 for the Beretta and as I recall, my buddy paid about $100 less or so. They were almost identical guns, but the machining and finish on the Beretta was better. It's a classic design and built to last. Sweet find.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi new to this forum I have a pt92 that i bought new in the Dallas area in 1986 and the serial number on mine is about 200 older than yours this has been a great gun and shoots very well

Crazy_T

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your insight and comments much appreciated

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
My guess would be somewhere in the 86-87 region, mostly due to the old style mag release but the safety being moved down to the frame. IMSMC, the safety was still on the slide in 84 which was the year Taurus took over the Beretta plant in Brazil. In 85, they changed the position to the frame to avoid any infringement issues with Beretta.

Any way about it, that's one beautiful 92. I'm sure that no matter how old the vintage, she's still a marvelous shooter.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Have you considered replacing the recoil spring? There is no telling how many rounds have been sent down her tube. Check out Wolf Springs? Great gun, but I have to warn you as I have others; That PT92 will lead you to additional Taurus models so start pinching away some change now.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Hi new to this forum I have a pt92 that i bought new in the Dallas area in 1986 and the serial number on mine is about 200 older than yours this has been a great gun and shoots very well

Crazy_T
Welcome to TA from Jacksonville, FL.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your "new" firearm.

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
Very nice, based of the serial # starting with B I would say 1982 area. I have a PT-99 that is the same way from 1982.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice....
What color is the slide? Looks brown or gray in pic. Did they come polished on the
side like that?....Marty

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Nice old PT92! Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
The 92 is the best shooting best looking fullsize 9mm ever. Period.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Welcome! Very nice indeed!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice gun! Not to hijack your thread, but I just traded into a PT99 last night. I have a question about the finish on these guns. Just like yours, the top of the slide, barrel, and the side of the slide on the front is a very matte color, like the finish has been worn off. Also like yours, the frontstrap, backstrap, and bottom of the dust cover are shiny smooth black. The side of my frame is also polished like yours. So is this the way they came from the factory, or do the years just wear away the once shiny slide to the matte, dull finish we see today?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts