Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First a confession: I wasn't shooting one of my Taurus guns - it was my new Para Ordinance Hawg 9 - but the gun probably doesn't have anything to do with what happened today...

Running A-Meric 115gr 9mm FMJ target ammo through it (and getting good results I might add) when on the fourth round of a magazine I get a spray of particulate back into my face. In the first second I check to see if I still have an intact gun (and hand, and arm, and, well, you know) and then it pull the gun back and give it a good look..

.. and stand there for perhaps 5 seconds trying to understand what I am looking at: there is a bullet (not a round, not a casing, a bullet) sitting stove-pipe fashion in the ejector port. It's not deformed - looks perfect, pointing straight up.

Best I can figure, the bullet was not seated properly; when it cycled into the chamber, it caught against the feed ramp and, separating from the casing, flipped up and into the path of the returning slide. The casing itself was jammed against the feed ramp, almost ready to slide into the chamber in the proper orientation (and probably would have gone into battery if the bullet hadn't jammed the slide).

Apparently the spray of particulate I felt was the unburned powder from inside the round.

Disassembly of the gun showed no damage, but power was everywhere.

Given that I didn't have proper cleaning equipment with me, I swabbed out the powder and stowed it.

I called the dealer I bought the ammunition from - he said he was seeing manufacturing irregularities from this brand lately - ammo that won't chamber properly, that sort of thing. But this is the first time he'd heard of this sort of thing.

Oh well. No explosion. No damage, and probably the simplest explanation is the likeliest. Just thought you'd like to hear about it.

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
HEY - that's my line !!

You know, I understand your reluctance to advertise the name of the ammo you were using, but it might be useful, not to mention save somebody's gun or arm, if you did......just a thought.

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
Geez - I blew right by it !! I've never heard of that brand, guess thats why.....thanks for the links.....

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doctor_Venkman said:
Alright. I am going to have to pull the TTIWWP card!

Unfortunately all I can do is re-create the situation - I didn't have a camera with me when it happened, and I had to clear it to check the gun.

I'll see about posting the re-creation "scene" tomorrow...

..or, (of the gun at least) right now:

Para Ordinance Hawg 9 9mm

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
From your earlier discription, and seeing what you saw. The round being unfired, all I can think of is D _ _ _! It had to be a round that was not crimped, or bullet was way far forward in the case, for it to come out and be caught like that.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
From what I've read and what people have told me, A-Merc makes s**t ammunition...period. Same problem you've had kansas_plainsman is what MANY others have also testified to. This is not an isolated incident with this manufacturer.

·
22,058 Posts
We throw away all A-merc brass during our sorting process.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I've previously heard bad things about them as well. The ONLY way I'd use their stuff is if it was all that was available and I was clean on ammo (and in a very bad place).

Steelheart

·
Registered
73 Posts
People far more experienced than I have told me to stay clear of A-Merc ammo. Most of the good shops I spend money in won't carry it either. Mind you this can happen with any brand, except for maybe Black Hills and a few others (Black Hills is tops in my opinion).

Glad it happened like it did and not a case head separation AKA a hand grenade. Unless you bought a case, dispose of the box and call it even.

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
Steelheart said:
I've previously heard bad things about them as well. The ONLY way I'd use their stuff is if it was all that was available and I was clean on ammo (and in a very bad place).
The ONLY way I'd ever use their stuff, after reading this link, would be if I were wearing my special uniform.....

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
The ONLY way I'd ever use their stuff, after reading this link, would be if I were wearing my special uniform.....

You're a gun owner. With a gun owners luck the bullet would find its way through the eye slit in your helmet.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I bought some factory reloads one time that shot unburnt powder out the side and the casing stuck in the chamber. Thought I shot myself in the face the first time it happened. Started cussing my Hi-Point. Come to find out after my brother in law ran some through his SAXD and did the same thing we got to looking at the unfired rounds. Looked like the casings had been pinched. Needless to say I called the guy I bought them from just to let him know what was happening. He took some out of a box he still had and gotthe same result. I will never fire factory reloads again in my life.

·
Super Moderator
21,946 Posts
Its good for tossing in the campfire of some unfriendlies. :devil:

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
With this ammo, it either wouldn't fire off in the campfire, or it would blow up in your hand...... :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts