Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
Wonder if this would walk close to the patent owned by “Metalstorm”?

The Metalstorm devices can fire 100s, up to 1000s of projectiles using electromagnetism.

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
This is cool. I hope it works out for the inventor and the Army.

Whatcha wanna bet some schmuck comes along and argues he shudda used 6.5 Creedmoor instead of 6mm?

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
The commenters, knowledge or not, don't seem impressed- not that they impress me...

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
This is cool. I hope it works out for the inventor and the Army.

Whatcha wanna bet some schmuck comes along and argues he shudda used 6.5 Creedmoor instead of 6mm?
I was thinking .25-45 Sharps but I'm a traditionalist at heart.:p

·
Registered
19,329 Posts

It says the Army is going to take a look at it.
It's a bit weird looking, very interesting and boy would I like to shoot one........:D
Heck, I'd just like to have the skills to build one.

Maybe the Future?
:dry:...you'll shoot your eye out.

Reactions: Rickenbacher39

·
Registered
17,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:dry:...you'll shoot your eye out.

With that thing I'd shoot my eye out, your eye out and the eyes of at least 1/2 of the members of this forum.
And probably the eye of the guy down the block.
Dayum that thing looks like it would be fun.

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
17,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wonder if this would walk close to the patent owned by “Metalstorm”?

The Metalstorm devices can fire 100s, up to 1000s of projectiles using electromagnetism.

I have no clue.
The article says he has patents on the technology behind it.
What that means and how extensive they are I have no idea.

Reactions: ICUKev

·
Super Moderator
35,371 Posts
The biggest thing I can see as a problem is heat. I can imagine the "barrels" of this thing glowing white hot after one volley. :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
35,371 Posts
There's a political reason to adopt this gun by the military. After THIS thing is in service, the M16/M4 platform will be obsolete, ancient technology, classed with flintlocks. :rofl: THEN, maybe we can mail order our lowers without paperwork for the ATF. :D

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
The biggest thing I can see as a problem is heat. I can imagine the "barrels" of this thing glowing white hot after one volley. :rofl:
A solid block like that isn't gonna' dissipate very well. I was out the first time I saw electronic mentioned...:dry:...aside from being failure prone, I assume that also means battery powered which translates to a limited lifespan. Heat, cold, water, dust and vibration all have extreme potential to mess with something like that, not to mention some EM weapon the enemy might possess. With all the electronics and electromagnetism goin' on here, one might also assume carryin' one of these could be akin to shootin' up a flare. It's hard to say what modern surveillance equipment can detect now.

·
22,981 Posts
He may well have something significant here. If he does, I bet Army bean counters will kill it, and the Israelis will grab it, and about 5 years after that, DoD will decide we've just GOT to have it.

·
Super Moderator
35,371 Posts
A solid block like that isn't gonna' dissipate very well. I was out the first time I saw electronic mentioned...:dry:...aside from being failure prone, I assume that also means battery powered which translates to a limited lifespan. Heat, cold, water, dust and vibration all have extreme potential to mess with something like that, not to mention some EM weapon the enemy might possess. With all the electronics and electromagnetism goin' on here, one might also assume carryin' one of these could be akin to shootin' up a flare. It's hard to say what modern surveillance equipment can detect now.

Preach on, brother! :D You're talking to a guy that ordered his new truck with roll up windows and manual door locks. Heck, I even carry revolvers! Yeah, old school, but in THIS case old school could save lives.

Reactions: kschilk

·
Super Moderator
37,265 Posts
The carbine is 6.5 pounds...but you'll need two humvees to tote all of the ammo for an hour's worth of operation. :)

·
Super Moderator
35,371 Posts
The carbine is 6.5 pounds...but you'll need two humvees to tote all of the ammo for an hour's worth of operation. :)
Yeah, reminds me of the movie "Predator" where Jesse Ventura carried a mini gun. Not enough the mini gun weighs 300 lbs or something, but they burned more ammo in that clip where they mowed down the jungle than I've ever actually FIRED in an SKS or anything else. Boy, that Ventura character is one strong dude! :rolleyes:

I used to order 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 in wooden cases. The poor UPS lady would drive up. I'd run outside to help her and she'd have that crate trying to lift it and get it down the steps of her truck. She was a rather petite woman anyway. One delivery she asks "What's in this thing, LEAD?" Well, uh, yeah. :rofl:

And, this gun is suppose to dump 1000 rounds in a second was it? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Gona say imagine how many rounds and extra weight the soldier would have to lug. Not practical. Now if someone would invent a small laser gun we would have something.:D

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
Yeah, reminds me of the movie "Predator" where Jesse Ventura carried a mini gun. Not enough the mini gun weighs 300 lbs or something, but they burned more ammo in that clip where they mowed down the jungle than I've ever actually FIRED in an SKS or anything else. Boy, that Ventura character is one strong dude! :rolleyes:

I used to order 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 in wooden cases. The poor UPS lady would drive up. I'd run outside to help her and she'd have that crate trying to lift it and get it down the steps of her truck. She was a rather petite woman anyway. One delivery she asks "What's in this thing, LEAD?" Well, uh, yeah. :rofl:

And, this gun is suppose to dump 1000 rounds in a second was it? :rolleyes:
Umm, that was actor Bill Duke who mowed down the jungle. Ventura did tote it into the forest, tho.

There was an episode of “Hollywood Weapons” where they interview Duke and they re-enacted the jungle cutting scene.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Instead of individual cartridges, it's a 4-round block holding the bullets, the powder, and the initiators. Sounds as if the ammunition would be considerably heavier than traditional cartridges. Wasn't part of the rationale for 5.56 over 7.65 the weight of the ammunition soldiers carried, and the logistics of moving large quantities of ammo?

On top of that -- what about interchangeability with allies (NATO, and all that)?

BUT -- with the price being over $500,000/copy, the government's interest does make sense.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Let's see, 2,500 mph = almost 3700 fps. A 100-grain 6mm bullet at 3700 fps has over 3,000 ft/lb of muzzle energy. Fire four at once and you'd have 12,000 ft./lb nudging your shoulder. Your shoulder, not mine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts