Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former Chicago cop, current PI.

The sound clears up after the first few seconds.

Really worth watching. Different than the slew of other videos I've seen on the topic.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Very interesting. In some ways it does sound safer to keep your mouth shut than to confess to doing anything. I am aware that the LEOs main objective is simply to make an arrest, and the prosecutors is to simply get a conviction.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very interesting. In some ways it does sound safer to keep your mouth shut than to confess to doing anything. I am aware that the LEOs main objective is simply to make an arrest, and the prosecutors is to simply get a conviction.
Hi there :) I agree. We have several police officers in the family, and they've all said the same thing. You have to be so careful to protect yourself. You can do this while still being on the right side of the law.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have seen several shows/videos that say NEVER say anything after a shooting until after you talk to a lawyer except for your name and date of birth. At least one was a prosecuting attorney.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
My cc instructor is a police officer and had been involved in a fatal shooting. He said that you would say as little as possible until you have had at least two full sleep cycles. Other continuing education courses I have taken have reinforced this idea, and stressed that you should not consume any alcohol or drugs, even OTC meds, as this can screw up your ability to later recall the event.

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
Ditto here (except no firefifght experience) but zip it until after you have spoken with your lawyer; exception, of course, if additional perps and/or additional potential victims.

·
22,321 Posts
I have no comment on this thread.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I find it very interesting that he advised it's legal not to call 911 and it's ok to leave the scene.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I find it very interesting that he advised it's legal not to call 911 and it's ok to leave the scene.
Based on the assumption that you committed no crime, why would you do otherwise?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Because you are a witness and personal injury is involved.
So, make a statement to your lawyer and have him deliver it to the police. You have fulfilled your obligations as a citizen.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
So, make a statement to your lawyer and have him deliver it to the police. You have fulfilled your obligations as a citizen.
Ok, that's what the video suggested, but what if you don't have an attorney to call. Most good citizens like myself do not have an attorney. I would have to pull out the yellow pages when I got home, and if it was late in the evening, it very well could be the next day if it's not a weekend.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Ok, that's what the video suggested, but what if you don't have an attorney to call. Most good citizens like myself do not have an attorney. I would have to pull out the yellow pages when I got home, and if it was late in the evening, it very well could be the next day if it's not a weekend.
Ask for a public defender, you can always get a lawyer later. Just keep your trap shut! Join NRA and you can get free council.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Ask for a public defender, you can always get a lawyer later. Just keep your trap shut! Join NRA and you can get free council.
That's not what we are discussing. You shoot someone in self defense and don't call 911 and leave the scene of the incident as the video suggested. There is no public defender yet because you didn't notify anyone yet.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Seems like legal grey area. Definitely consult w/ a 2A attorney beforehand on the legal requirements of such a scenario.

I know leaving the scene of an accident is a real problem, I think it is illegal in some states to do so, may be similar circumstance.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I can understand his point about having an attorney call 911 for you especially since his idea is to avoid a trial; I'm not sure about the idea that taking the attacker's weapons and leaving the scene would play well if the situation did make it to a trial.

If there is anyone else around at all, 911 is going to be called anyway -- would it to be to your benefit for that call to include the statement that you fled the scene?

Ayoob has a different suggestion:

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I guess I'm different. Let it be known from the beginning the you were the victim, and the body on the ground was the attacker. The police report will tell the right story and the evidence will reinforce it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm a huge Ayoob fan/follower....he's my main source of such information. Have watched dozens of his videos many times, repeatedly, to "drum" the information into my brain.

It was his advice that I would follow in such a circumstance...until I found this video. Now I am wondering which advice to take.

I can understand his point about having an attorney call 911 for you especially since his idea is to avoid a trial; I'm not sure about the idea that taking the attacker's weapons and leaving the scene would play well if the situation did make it to a trial.

If there is anyone else around at all, 911 is going to be called anyway -- would it to be to your benefit for that call to include the statement that you fled the scene?

Ayoob has a different suggestion:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts