Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Banned
Discussion Starter #1
I decided that I should part with a few of my guns.

I found that my wife and I probably shoot less than one-tenth of how much we shot in FL.

Different lifestyle. No time. Hard to explain.

SO ....... My son (not a shooter) wants a gun to bring to CT, when they move within the next year.

GREAT .......... I'll sell you this one, give you a good price.

My wife says "Wow, I can't believe you're selling that"

YEAH, She's right. I definitely wanna keep that one.

Just as well ....... CT has those magazine capacity laws .......... I'll sell him one of these other guns that only hold ten.

DAMN ......... This sure is a pretty gun .......... Hardly even broken in .

I want to downsize, but DAMN, where do you begin?

Registered
Unless you really, really,really have to sell 'em just ...don't.

If you have to sell them due to finances, sell of the one(s) that will bring the most income first. That way, at least you'll still have something. Oh, and be sure to buy some tissues; you'll likely cry for days.

Premium Member
That dry heat too much for you huh? jk

I'd go with which ever one you like the least. Especially if it is not about needing the money.

Reactions: Rottiejake

Registered
I decided that I should part with a few of my guns.

I found that my wife and I probably shoot less than one-tenth of how much we shot in FL.

Different lifestyle. No time. Hard to explain.

SO ....... My son (not a shooter) wants a gun to bring to CT, when they move within the next year.

GREAT .......... I'll sell you this one, give you a good price.

My wife says "Wow, I can't believe you're selling that"

YEAH, She's right. I definitely wanna keep that one.

Just as well ....... CT has those magazine capacity laws .......... I'll sell him one of these other guns that only hold ten.

DAMN ......... This sure is a pretty gun .......... Hardly even broken in .

I want to downsize, but DAMN, where do you begin?
I feel your confusion and pain. Never in the world would I have thought that I would have ever sold some of my most cherished Taurus. But, now looking back I don't really miss them. Maybe it would have been different had they been taken out and enjoyed at some point. I look at it more as a reduction and reallocation of resources.

Registered
Sell a gun that can be easily found again, something not rare, something that doesn't fill a unique role. Those guns can be easily found in the future and they will be cheaper should you ever get the hankering for it. Those guns that are not investment pieces, the ones that are guaranteed to lose value over time.

Registered
I've only traded. Never sold any. And I only did that because it was a gun that I despised shooting.

Super Moderator
No advice...I've never done it.

I have my Ithaca Saddle Gun, single shot 22 short, long and long rifle that I got when I was ten and always think that I should sell that so some other youngster could enjoy shooting it. Haven't brought myself to do it yet, maybe because it wouldn't bring much cash. I also looked into selling my Taurus CP44 SS as I don't really have much use for it.

I've sold a couple. I don't miss the Glock at all, and since I'm not a fan of DA/SA, I don't really miss the Sig.

But if it's just a case of "why do we have so many guns," why risk the remorse? Loan one to your son.

Premium Member
If you do sell a gun to your son, it's got to be a good one. Just one you don't use anymore, that's all. Heck, it's still in the family.

I've sold and given away very few guns. I've had seller's remorse for a while, but it fades in time.

Some guns I just can't part with until the day I'm no longer on this planet. If I have to get rid of them early, for whatever reason, I will absolutely regret it. It makes me think about having a prized one buried with me. :D

Registered
I would probably sell some of my best looking and less shot firearms, as I bought them mostly for their looks and as an investment, rather than liking the way they shot. I would still hang on to my shotguns longer than anything, because I just know the quail are going to make a comeback and I intend to have one more good quail hunt before I die. My Zombie guns wouldn't bother me to sell, other than they are there as zombie insurance, but after having the initial fun with them, we won't shoot them again until the Zombies invade.

I could probably sell half my collection of guns and ammo without too many tears. I've always looked at the or a collection of something valuable as an investment or savings account anyhow. It's a little harder to pull money out of them than it is to pull money out of savings, so you may do a better job of managing money in a collection than in a savings account.

Besides, you can shoot and enjoy your investment. I guess you can make paper airplanes or flip coins with a savings of both kinds of money. With a collection of guns, you only actually spend money when you shoot the ammo, never when you purchase guns or ammo or even shoot the gun as the gun will remain the same value pretty much regardless of how much it is shot.

Registered
No advice...I've never done it.

I have my Ithaca Saddle Gun, single shot 22 short, long and long rifle that I got when I was ten and always think that I should sell that so some other youngster could enjoy shooting it. Haven't brought myself to do it yet, maybe because it wouldn't bring much cash. I also looked into selling my Taurus CP44 SS as I don't really have much use for it.
Just take a multitude of youngsters to the range to enjoy it.

Ryan

Registered
It is like asking a parent which child is their favorite....

Registered
Begin like this: decide how many you want to get rid of.

For arguements sake, let's say four.

Lay all your guns on your bed, then go into the livingroom. Pretend somebody is trying to break in. Which gun is your first choice?

Take that gun and put it back in the safe.

Repeat until you are down to the last 4 guns.

Registered
I sold my m94 and my H&R Sportsman, recently. The Tanfoglio S.A.A. is listed on Arms List.
I'm clearing out some of what I don't shoot much. I'm sure gonna miss that H&R, but the Taurus m96 was it's "upgrade", so I needed to make room for something else. (I checked a 9mm "Shield" yesterday. I didn't care for it.)
I have a couple more "cheapo" guns to sell. I should sell the RG-23 and Erma/ Excam RX-22 (both .22's), the only problem is that they are so much fun.

Registered
I sometimes feel the need to "thin the herd." I've sold several, regretted a few. My worst tendency is to sell one and buy two.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts