Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All. I just recently bought a TCP as my pocket carry gun - My first carry weapon. I just finished my 250 round break-in this evening and thought I'd report in. I shot FMJ in Monarch, Winchester, PPU and S&B. I've shot 8 rounds of Hornaday Critical Defense that I will be using to carry. I had one FTF on round 8 of the series and figured I'd wait until break-in before I judged that. Now I plan to just carry it and shoot 25 rounds once a quarter to stay familiar with it. I have to say that I am very impressed and satisfied with the gun. I never expected it to be fun to shoot, and it's not. The biggest shocker was the constant impact of the trigger guard right on my trigger finger knuckle. I had to start shooting with a bandaid on my trigger finger. I've learned to use a crush grip in this little gun because my hands are XL sized. Am beginning to get a callus on my palm. I got a Pachmayer grip for it that I used tonight, but found that I can hold it better and am more accurate without it. I've found that I can shoot a 5 inch circle at 10 yards and a 10 inch one at 20 yards - so I am comfortable that it fits its intended purpose. I have also become quite satisfied with the .380 caliber for personal protection. My biggest design complaint is how hard the take-down pin is to remove. I scratched the gun with a screw driver trying to pry it out. That has not eased up with break-in. I've got a D Series and have had no issues, so maybe Taurus has tweaked the improvements over time. I have not paid attention to or noticed any reset problems with the trigger. I carry it in an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster, which seems to fit my purpose well. I am always concerned about a gun with no safety, so have decided to carry unchambered. I worry a bit about my ability to draw, rack and shoot with any speed. But I'm willing to sacrifice that to have a safe, light weight gun in my pocket. Very happy Taurus customer here.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Welcome from Tennesse, and glad to hear you like your TCP! I don't have that model so I can't offer any advice, but shooting more so you get callouses is one solution, fun but expensive!

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

Glad you like your new friend.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Another satisfied customer!! Glad to hear all is well. :thumb:

·
Registered
580 Posts
have you a custom kydex IWB holster made and carry loaded.

A local friend here makes nice kydex, his beltclips are the best. I like small of the back sometimes and in front IWB sometimes. Some even like "mic holsters" @ glocktech.com

Just practice with snap caps. I think i paid 10 bucks for 5.
Carlson's Snap Cap 380 ACP Aluminum Red Package of 5

you may wanta go on youtube and watch frog lube gun lube vids. Then you can buy a frog lube kit from ebay and do your pistol. Really smooth up your tcp. Rite now iam using eel snot cause i have some. I'll try to get some from manufacturer and post on ebay,, I think eel snot will be round 15 bucks.

Practice 3 yrds, off handed.

·
Super Moderator
40,725 Posts
Welcome form the Florida Keys! Get comfortable carrying like you are, after a few weeks you will see that a covered trigger can not be pulled. Then consider carrying chambered.

I love my TCP, and pocket carry it all the time.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Sorry to hear she's a knuckle buster but you have to agree the TCP has the most amazing trigger of all the micro poly .380 pistols so far.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Use a knife edge to remove the takedown screw. Just gently slide it under the edge of the pin cap and pry up. Go to ebay or directly to Pearce Grip and get a magazine extension. It will give you a bit more area for you to hang on to.

Pearce Grips

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Welcome to the club! I pocket carry my TCP with one in the chamber all the time. I also carry in an Uncle Mikes #3. It is impossible to put your fingers on the trigger with that holster, even when drawing. I think you'll find it is a very safe gun. Enjoy!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net, the firearms forum where you will find a wealth of handgun knowledge, literally, at your fingertips.

The members here are a friendly and helpful group of folks, and the moderators actually moderate and keep this forum in tip-top shape.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
The Ruger LCP has the same kind of takedown pin.
On my first takedowns, I put a business card between the blade and the pistol. On subsequent pistols of the same type, I learned that folding a cleaning patch over the screwdriver bit will prevent scratching.

·
Registered
69 Posts
On my first takedowns, I put a business card between the blade and the pistol. On subsequent pistols of the same type, I learned that folding a cleaning patch over the screwdriver bit will prevent scratching.
Good to know. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey All. I just recently bought a TCP as my pocket carry gun - My first carry weapon. I just finished my 250 round break-in this evening and thought I'd report in. I shot FMJ in Monarch, Winchester, PPU and S&B. I've shot 8 rounds of Hornaday Critical Defense that I will be using to carry. I had one FTF on round 8 of the series and figured I'd wait until break-in before I judged that. Now I plan to just carry it and shoot 25 rounds once a quarter to stay familiar with it. I have to say that I am very impressed and satisfied with the gun. I never expected it to be fun to shoot, and it's not. The biggest shocker was the constant impact of the trigger guard right on my trigger finger knuckle. I had to start shooting with a bandaid on my trigger finger. I've learned to use a crush grip in this little gun because my hands are XL sized. Am beginning to get a callus on my palm. I got a Pachmayer grip for it that I used tonight, but found that I can hold it better and am more accurate without it. I've found that I can shoot a 5 inch circle at 10 yards and a 10 inch one at 20 yards - so I am comfortable that it fits its intended purpose. I have also become quite satisfied with the .380 caliber for personal protection. My biggest design complaint is how hard the take-down pin is to remove. I scratched the gun with a screw driver trying to pry it out. That has not eased up with break-in. I've got a D Series and have had no issues, so maybe Taurus has tweaked the improvements over time. I have not paid attention to or noticed any reset problems with the trigger. I carry it in an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster, which seems to fit my purpose well. I am always concerned about a gun with no safety, so have decided to carry unchambered. I worry a bit about my ability to draw, rack and shoot with any speed. But I'm willing to sacrifice that to have a safe, light weight gun in my pocket. Very happy Taurus customer here.
I bought a Raurus 738 .380 TCP "D" series.
I had to send it back so they could cut down the slide stop that holds the slide open, it was staying back with rounds still in magazine.
Other than that, it appears to be a very reliable CCW gun.
I carry it in a pocket holster in my front pocket.
The print looks like a wallet in my pocket.
When I go out, it just slides into my front pocket.
I love it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
On my taurus 738 .380 TCP, I just use my fingernail to put out the take-down pin, it comes out pretty easy.
I just put a little pressure on the front of the barrel instead of locking back the slide, to pull the take-down pin out.
It takes about 3 or 4 seconds to field strip it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts