Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I loaded 6.4 grains of Hp-38 behind a 158gr. XTP .357. This is a defense round that I picked out from Lee Modern Reloading 2nd. Ed.
I know this is a hot topic, but reloads for my carry rounds are my choice and I am aware of both sides of the argument.

I'd really like to know what some of you more experienced fellas think of my testing method and it's results as a carry load. A light duty magnum with enough expansion to prevent over-penetration as not to cause harm to anyone other than the attacker is my goal.

First test was a dry test. The shot was fired from exactly 15 feet:

Pic 1. My balistic media which is composed of paperback books secured to an empty box to allow the media stand upright
Pic 2. Measurements show approx 2.75 inches of paper material
Pic 3. Shows the tiny entry wound
Pic 4. Shows the final resting point of the XTP between the first and second book.
Pic 5. Shows the bullet in pieces and separated from it's jacket.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
You would probably get more penetration with a slower burning powder, or maybe not the way the bullet came apart. That would probably stop anyone threatening you, but I would have thought you would get a little better penetration and less jacket separation.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I'm not sure about the testing on dry media.

I think dry media may be a little too resistant to gain much in the way of comparative information from one bullet to the next. I heard somewhere that phone books soaked in water were about the best analog for human flesh that isn't ballistics gelatin. Could you get a hold of 10-12 phone books and give 'em a bit of a soak?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You would probably get more penetration with a slower burning powder, or maybe not the way the bullet came apart. That would probably stop anyone threatening you, but I would have thought you would get a little better penetration and less jacket separation.
Jimb, I've worked up a few loads with H110 (which i think is a slower powder). I'd like to do a similar test with the H110. But being a SD round, I'd like to keep it a mild magnum. Take a look at my other thread about the Water Test.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure about the testing on dry media.

I think dry media may be a little too resistant to gain much in the way of comparative information from one bullet to the next. I heard somewhere that phone books soaked in water were about the best analog for human flesh that isn't ballistics gelatin. Could you get a hold of 10-12 phone books and give 'em a bit of a soak?
Shooter, I tried getting ahold of a phone book while I was in town yesterday, but people didn't want to give them up. I was originally wanting to try the wet phone book method, but a buddy of mine insisted that a dry phone book is a good media as well. He stated that a good SD round shouldn't be able to penetrate through a dry phone book. But, i'm open to various methods.

I was surprised that the round didn't penetrate. In fact, he predicted that it wouldn't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts