Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my PT145 to the range for the second time today. I put a little over a 100 rounds down range while trying to keep the magazines in the gun. The last time I went I had the same problem, just not as bad. It seems to get worse as the gun warms up. It was so bad at one point that every magazine I have, six in all, would drop out after every shot. We noticed that the magazine fit sloppy in the magwell, my son suggested shimming the magazine tighter in the well. I shimmed two mags with some plastic strips and they are good and tight now. I will try the gun again with the shimmed mags. I don't want to send it back to Taurus just yet. I really like the gun, if fits my hand well, shoots great and I hope I can work out the mags dropping out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
34,944 Posts
What's the mag release button made of? I've had this problem with aftermarket mags and my P11. There is a steel release available for the gun, I think, but wasn't at the time I had this problem. The stock release is plastic. The cheap mags (59xx S&W 15 rounders.) messed up my release such that it wouldn't hold the stock mags. I took it out and with a sharp knife, reshaped it. It has worked to this day, 15 years later. I tossed those mags.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All of my mags are Taurus brand. The mag release appears to be metal and looks just like the one in my son's PT140. The mags just appear to fit sloppy in the mag well allowing them to twist away from the release on the recoil. I am going to call CS today and try to get the gun replaced since it less than 30 days old. I shimmed up two of the mags to take up the slop, I am going back to the range to see if that fixes the problem before I send the gun back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
do they all feel exactly the same in the mag well?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, all the magazines feel the same. I marked the ones that came with the gun, since I bought 4 of them in the Cabela's 75% off sale. I thought maybe Cabela's was getting rid of old style magazines, but they look just like the ones it came with. They "wiggle" from side to side noticeably, about twice as much as compared to my son's PT140. I have contacted CS and have arranged to send it back. I dunno, if the shim works I don't know if I want to send it in. I know it is supposed to work without the shim, but I am not opposed to using the gun that way. I am going to take it to the range to test the shims before I send it back.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Yes, all the magazines feel the same. I marked the ones that came with the gun, since I bought 4 of them in the Cabela's 75% off sale. I thought maybe Cabela's was getting rid of old style magazines, but they look just like the ones it came with. They "wiggle" from side to side noticeably, about twice as much as compared to my son's PT140. I have contacted CS and have arranged to send it back. I dunno, if the shim works I don't know if I want to send it in. I know it is supposed to work without the shim, but I am not opposed to using the gun that way. I am going to take it to the range to test the shims before I send it back.
There is a problem with either the frame or magazine well. That problem will not get better with time.

"Duct Tape Ingenuity" has its place. On firearms its not advised, as in your case the shims may work temporarily now but as time goes on your shims will succumb to the same frame or mag release issue that created the original problem, and the weapon will still need to go back to Miami. May as well get the pain over with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Firearms, as we know, are precision instruments, shouldn't rely on shimmyng, jerry riggin, or any other word of the sort. ;) send it on a Miami vacation, they will take care of you!

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I agree with others, just send the gun to Taurus to let them fix it. The last time Taurus replaced the barrel on my PT145, it took only 10 days. I also had mag dropping problem with the 24/7 C 9mm, I removed the mag release and reseated it to make it a bit tighter (it was a little loose when I bought it) and I had no more problem since.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I sent my PT145 off for a Miami vacation. I decided to send the gun in because when I examined more closely I found where the back of the barrel (breech) is gouging out the rails very deeply after 250 rounds. The marks on the rails match the corners of the barrel and there is a lot of slide wear already. The ticket was punched and Fed-Ex picked up the gun about an hour ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the magazine drop on my brand new PT145, I called Taurus, they sent someone to pick it up. I got it back in about 10-12 days, and the paper it came back with said "Mag. release cracked". The mag release feels a lot stiffer now than it did and the magazine feels 'tighter'. Haven't had it back to the range yet, but I'm hopeful. It has been inconvenient, but the customer service dealing with it was pretty good.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Glad you sent it back, it would suck to have a mag drop out at a critical S.D moment. Get her fixed and then you can have some faith it will work in any situation!!! I sold my M85UL today because I had zero confidence in the gun, would do me no good in a critical situation!!!! My PT145 is a keeper and my Conceal Carry weapon of choice!!!!

·
Super Moderator
35,522 Posts
You made the only choice that you could. I am confident that they will make it right.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
I agree with others let the Lifetime Warranty work it's wonders for you.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Just a thought RC.
When I first got my PT 745, the mag would fall out every time I fired it. That is if I used one hand. I am right handed and I noticed my thumb was next to the mag release. As I fired the gun the recoil would cause my thumb to slide accross the mag release and drop the mag. I started using my left hand to steady the gun with the thumb of my right hand on top of my left. I'm sure you have heard of this shooting position. Anyway. I have had no problem since.
Maybe I need a stronger release spring, but for me this works and I shoot straighter.
Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: y2k01hd

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just a thought RC.
When I first got my PT 745, the mag would fall out every time I fired it. That is if I used one hand. I am right handed and I noticed my thumb was next to the mag release. As I fired the gun the recoil would cause my thumb to slide accross the mag release and drop the mag. I started using my left hand to steady the gun with the thumb of my right hand on top of my left. I'm sure you have heard of this shooting position. Anyway. I have had no problem since.
Maybe I need a stronger release spring, but for me this works and I shoot straighter.
Just my 2 cents.
I was at the range a few months ago and this oler retired military guy who works there was watching me shoot, asked if he could make a suggestion, and told me to hold mt semi auto's the way you described. He said "not only will you not accidentally drop a mag, it won't hurt to shoot cause the way your holing it now causes a blister on your right hand, correct?" I was stunned at how right he was and I can shoot all day no blisters nor dropped magazines. I thanked him then, for his service to our country first, and for helping me out that day. I thank him when I see him, everytome I see him!!!!

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just a thought RC.
Just my 2 cents.
I thought of that and changed my grip to the one you suggest. No luck. I had my son shoot the gun. He has a pt140 and has no problems with it. First two shots, mag dropped on him. The deciding issue was the deep gouges on the top of the frame rails. When I saw those, the gun went back.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts