Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if any of you guys have tried or do use a Versacarry holster? I have a pt809 and am a smaller frame guy. So was thinking of a less bulky holster and by far this seems to be the best IWB I can find. Didnt know if anyone has any good or bad reviews here on them before I bought one. Wasnt sure as far as movement goes, how well it would hold the pistol locked firmly into position?

how-it-works.jpg

·
Registered
913 Posts
I had one when I had my PT740. It worked pretty well even with my bit of roll around the middle. But, not sure I'd EDC with it, especially with the aggressive grip textures of some polymer pistols. Definitely functioned as advertised though and you'd be hard pressed to find a less bulky IWB rig.

Reactions: Chucky809

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm open to hearing from people that actually use this, but here would be my concerns.

1. Shoving something up the barrel every time you holster seems like a bad idea.
2. If you actually shoot time to time you're going to get residue on the rod. If you clean the barrel after every single out, you'll still get oil residue on the rod. Either way, seems like it'd be messy. Probably need to wipe it before you put it away.
3. It cannot be re-holstered without removing it completely from your waistband.
4. In response to whether you can carry with one in the camber, they recommend not to. Not sure if that's because of the fact that it rests on the rod, or other reasons. They even recommend against carrying a firearm loaded. Apparently it's a retention device for gun-appearing paperweights.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Bigcarlover.. those were my exact concerns esp #2 & #3.. @Felix thank you for reply great points guys.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
A friend of mine is a LEO in one of the local forces here in PA, he uses one to carry his Glock off duty. Told me about it and recommended it as he was actually using it carrying in an amusement park recently and had no issues with it.

I never thought about the issues of residue and oil....but I doubt that would be a concern unless you over oil.

How often does one generally unholster and reholster a weapon during the day when carrying concealed....if its really that often i would think OCing would be better.

I can see the issue with one in the chamber, I would test fit the rod into the weapon and see if it could contact the round. I would venture to guess that the not carry it loaded with one in the chamber is more Legal BS to CYA.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I can see the issue with one in the chamber, I would test fit the rod into the weapon and see if it could contact the round.
Sorry, that VersaCarry just makes me uncomfortable. And in the case (above) what happens if you crack one off? The bullet hits the rod in the barrel. Does it 1) shoot the gun up like a rocket or 2) destroy the VersaCarry and stripe your leg?

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I have one and use it often.... the only concern Is not being able to reholster right away... but if you have to draw your weapon, you probably arent going to be worrying about reholstering anyway. I carry my pt111 G2 and my TCP with the same one as the 9mm fits the .380 also.... I see no problem with carrying in condition one and using the versacarry. Thats the way I carry it..The residue thing is inconsequential. Not a problem and wont be. I own many holsters and i can honestly say you wont find a holster with less bulk....it fits anywhere....If you are worried about covering the trigger, then make sure you put the trigger guard on it when you put it together.....

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I think it is strickly a prefernce thing. I tried it had issues. Some areas i go i want my pistiol where i can get to it easier when driving. I found I had no way to reholster with out taking my pant loose after i took pistol out.

jhp
my blade tech works great for my 1911 compact

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the replies.. all valid points and ideas. I guess it is a personal prefrence like stated above. Going price for one is around $20 so ill just have to try it out for myself. If I like it i like it, if not I'm not out a lot of $. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm 5'8" and around 165; 809 is my EDC since purchased. For myself, OWB has always been better for some reason. Bianchi/Tagua leather on strong side, 1 size larger button up shirt. When/if I go to a smaller pistol again (had PT609, next will prob be 111g2) I may go back to IWB. But like the others said, I guess it's a personal thing.

Reactions: Chucky809

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
I have one and use it often.... the only concern Is not being able to reholster right away... but if you have to draw your weapon, you probably arent going to be worrying about reholstering anyway. I carry my pt111 G2 and my TCP with the same one as the 9mm fits the .380 also.... I see no problem with carrying in condition one and using the versacarry. Thats the way I carry it..The residue thing is inconsequential. Not a problem and wont be. I own many holsters and i can honestly say you wont find a holster with less bulk....it fits anywhere....If you are worried about covering the trigger, then make sure you put the trigger guard on it when you put it together.....
How do you keep body sweat/gunk off pistol?? Am I missing something here?? I shudder to think my pistol is sitting in a pool of sweat for hours on a nice hot Texas day.

·
Registered
207 Posts
How do you keep body sweat/gunk off pistol?? Am I missing something here?? I shudder to think my pistol is sitting in a pool of sweat for hours on a nice hot Texas day.
I think the answer is, you don't. unless your gun is stainless or you invest in the company that makes frog lube your gun would be a pile of rust in no time.

Sent from my bad a$$ Custom Epic 4G

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Actually, it hasnt been a problem... I always wear a "wife beater" under my shirt. It is never against my skin....it does get pretty hot and humid here in Tennessee too. At any rate, i just wipe it down after i remove it. Ive had no rust issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I carry either a 24/7 G2 .45 or a TCP on one nearly every day. Zero problems. When I walk the dog at night I spin it and wear it OWB. The retaining rod is nowhere near the chambered round, and it fits very snuggly in the end of the barrel. I'm a big boy, and I thought I'd hate it but bought it anyway cause it was cheap. Long story slightly shorter...love it.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
Actually, it hasnt been a problem... I always wear a "wife beater" under my shirt. It is never against my skin....it does get pretty hot and humid here in Tennessee too. At any rate, i just wipe it down after i remove it. Ive had no rust issues.
I wear Tee's under shirt bascially to soak up sweat, but no way would I subject my pistol to contact with it all day. My colored tee's are salt stained by days end (so are the white, just can't see as well) and I let them dry over night hanging on clothes hamper lip and they're stiffer than a board next day. I'm guessing the VersaCarry concept isn't my cup of tea - I'm way to anal about internal or external rust, even with a daily wipe down.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm reading this because I'm thinking of getting one. I currently have a Blackhawk pancake OWB holster, and my 740 prints FAR too much for me. Open carry is legal here, but not too many people do it, so I don't want the kind of attention that would draw. If you have a stainless one, rust is a non-issue. If you have a blued one, you can wipe it down at the end of the day, or duracoat/cerakote it. Doing so will only void the warranty if they break it down beyond a field stripping to do it. (Confirmed by Tamara at Taurus CS.) But, you can do the exterior of the slide, and the barrel, and not violate that, which will effectively rust proof your gun for EDC purposes. As has been said, though, holster and carry positions are extremely personal decisions.

Later!

·
Registered
286 Posts
1. Shoving something up the barrel every time you holster seems like a bad idea.
That would be "one" time, until you decide to carry the VersaCarry-equipped gun in another holster. When removing the holster from your waistband/belt at the end of the day, the whole unit is removed (gun & holster) at the same time.

2. If you actually shoot time to time you're going to get residue on the rod. If you clean the barrel after every single out, you'll still get oil residue on the rod. Either way, seems like it'd be messy. Probably need to wipe it before you put it away.
I was taught to oil my guns, and then wipe off the excess. If you're oiling to the point that oil oozes out all the day long, you're using too much oil.

3. It cannot be re-holstered without removing it completely from your waistband.
So, it's not a range or duty holster. It's a carry-for-possible-self-defense holster.

4. In response to whether you can carry with one in the camber, they recommend not to. Not sure if that's because of the fact that it rests on the rod, or other reasons. They even recommend against carrying a firearm loaded. Apparently it's a retention device for gun-appearing paperweights.
I've got one word for #4: Lawyers.

If someone were to carry their gun in Versacarry and it go off due to their own stupidity, they might sue Versacarry. This "lawyerese" ("Please don't use our product with a loaded gun - signed 'Versacarry' ") is their lawyer's "get off the hook" phrase if it gets to court.

It is a sad state of affairs that liability lawyers have caused some in the gun industry to start stating "don't carry it loaded".

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Ive never used the versacarry, but I have looked at them at Academy. It seems like it would cause a good bit of discomfort with that much of the firearm exposed to the skin. I would also be concerned with the sweat and body oils.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I don't like the rod up the barrel bit either, or the fact that that you have to take it off to reholster it.

And I also think it would cause discomfort against my skin.

But if it works for someone else, to each his own.

I just prefer my soft uncle mikes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts