Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally made it to the range with my new PT745.

This is my second Taurus (also second Millennium and second .45) and what a difference between the two.

I purchased a PT145 in August and put 100s of rounds through it. If I had more than 6 rounds in the mag I had a FTF almost 100% of the time. Ammunition was apparently not a factor.

I improved it for a while with a thorough strip-down, cleaning, buffing, polishing and general lavishing of attention that made my wife jealous. In the end, it still had FTFs that made me very nervous about using it as a CCW.

I had decided I really wanted a PT745 to make it a little easier to carry and I really like the concept of the Millennium for carry, so I decided to risk a second Taurus before writing them off as unreliable. I sold the PT145 at a gun show and found a PT745 in stainless. I hadn't wanted a stainless originally for concealment reasons, though I have rethought that and have a different opinion on it now.

I came home with the new gun and tore into it to prep it for use and was immediately impacted by how much superior the metalwork was in this piece. The slide is a work of art compared to my PT145. Everything fits better and the plethora of machine markings evident in the 145 are gloriously missing. I was overjoyed and I hadn't put a round through it.

Today, we finally hit the range and I put 166 round through it - mostly Blazer Brass but some Rem UMC (more on that in a minute).

Not a single FTF and I was above 50% on 6" steel plates at 25 yards (that's good for me - I do much better with fullsized guns, but still getting the hang of the little guys).

Has anyone else noticed significant variations in the quality of workmanship of their comparable Tauruses? I've asked on another thread, but will repeat here: any major difference (noticed or expected) between blue and stainless?

My thinking right now is that I will certainly never buy another gun at a gun show unless I can take it down first and at least check out the fit and finish under the hood. I am also, suddenly, pre-disposed towards stainless and wonder if that is just an unfair bias based on a rare event.

So, boys, answer me back - any similar experiences?

Also, any opinions on Rem UMC (230gr HP)? Is there a thread about ammo (.45 to be specific) on this site somewhere?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I personally like the stainless better for many reasons, but many will disagree, if your gonna carry CCW I believe it's the best. It does seem to have a better machine finish from what I've read in here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Never shot a 745, so I can't comment on them. But, my 145 has been flawless with everything I've shot through it and wouldn't hesitate to CC it, and do. I have heard some ppl complain about their 145's and it turning out to be a mag problem. Maybe that was the problem with yours. If it were, it's a shame you got rid of it for such an easy fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it was the mags as there was identical behavior with both. My main reason was the smaller (single stack) grip. I will say that the smaller grip is easier to conceal for those days when it is IWB, but for shooting pleasure, the double stack grip is certainly more comfortable.

My main concern, as stated, was just the variation in quality. There is an obvious difference between MY 745 and 145. I am certainly not saying that is the norm, but just wondering if any others have noticed the issue.

Of equal concern is the fact that Taurus seems to have difficulty putting out decent mags. What's up with that? It's a bit like GM putting out cars and raving about the quality, but there are still sheet metal screws sticking out past the sharp edges of the plastic dashboard and linings. Why take the publicity hit on something that should be easy to fix?

All that said, I am a fan of Taurus for the efforts they are making to put out good firearms at reasonable prices. I for sure would not have replaced the 145 with a 745 if I was expecting it to be another problematic gun.

My lesson learned, as stated, is to always take a gun down (disassemble to a reasonable level) before purchasing to perform a fit and finish check. Some gun show dealers have issues with that and I just won't buy guns from those guys anymore. Shoot, I'll give them a nickel to pay for a new zip-tie.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've had both the 145 and 745. I didn't really notice any variation in quality. Are you sure you didn't have an older generation 145?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts