·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Great Story!! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
That is an interesting article.

The sad thing about it is, after this attack on the USS Liberty, we did not learn our lesson, and sent the USS Pueblo, another intelligence gathering ship, to the shores of North Korea with little, if any, support. And history tells us what happened next.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The LIBERTY was well off the coast of Israel and Egypt when it was attacked. It is the ONLY attack on a US Navy ship that has NEVER been the subject of a Congressional investigation. Both the President (LBJ) and SECDEF (McNamara) were instrumental in a major coverup of what the incident. So? What caused the Israeli's to attack a US Navy ship - one of their closest allies? How about it was because of the business that ship was in that we knew that the Israelis were the aggressors in the Six Day War -- and had we let it out, their stock would have been worth nothing on the world scene, as opposed to being the proverbial victim. Sink the ship with all hands on board and then claim it was an Egyptian freighter carrying weapons, etc. Unfortunately, the ship didn't sink, but LBJ and McNamara's efforts forever muddied the waters so that the truth has never come out. How do I know this? USS_Liberty_(AGTR-5)_with_USS_Little_Rock_(CLG-4)_1967.jpg Ya just had to be there....

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
The LIBERTY was well off the coast of Israel and Egypt when it was attacked. It is the ONLY attack on a US Navy ship that has NEVER been the subject of a Congressional investigation. Both the President (LBJ) and SECDEF (McNamara) were instrumental in a major coverup of what the incident. So? What caused the Israeli's to attack a US Navy ship - one of their closest allies? How about it was because of the business that ship was in that we knew that the Israelis were the aggressors in the Six Day War -- and had we let it out, their stock would have been worth nothing on the world scene, as opposed to being the proverbial victim. Sink the ship with all hands on board and then claim it was an Egyptian freighter carrying weapons, etc. Unfortunately, the ship didn't sink, but LBJ and McNamara's efforts forever muddied the waters so that the truth has never come out. How do I know this? View attachment 443511 Ya just had to be there....
Seriously? You were there?

·
Premium Member
11,071 Posts
Interesting article, but if LBJ and McNamara were covering it up they failed. It was well known that the Israelis made a preemptive attack on the Egyptians, Syrians, and Jordanians, and after a short period of time, why they attacked the Liberty. This was the subject of many magazine stories for years, but it all faded away.

·
Administrator
39,700 Posts
I must have forgotten about this if I ever heard of it at all. I do remember the Six Day War though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts