Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here use their 24/7 for competition shooting? I'm about to get started (hopefully) soon, so I went ahead and got some gear. I already had the Serpa. The belt is a MidwayUSA Stage 1 competition belt and the mag pouches are Blackhawk. Magazines are 24/7 17-round.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Looks like a nice rig. Starting with what you have and shoot well is the way to go. You've already invested in a good bit of the right gear. Some frown on the active retention of the Serpa holster - thinking it encourages a finger moving to the trigger (due to the pressure to open it) - it is legal. If you are comfortable with it - good. I have one that I use for occasional carry but not competition.

How many mags have you got? The 4 in the pic will get you going.

Jump in - post results. I shoot at least a match a month - IDPA preferred!

Reactions: loudviking

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
I cant speak to the 24/7 as i don't have one, but my PT1911 work great in uspsa, never had a issue out of it past its initial bad barrel that i sent it in for repair, once i got it back it has been flawless. So from a quality standpoint i would say you are good. Most important thing is, how well you shoot it, if you are comfortable with the 24/7 and can shoot it well, that is what you want to use. And don't let anyone say your taurus isnt a good gun, if they do, practice, and get good with it, then go show them what it can do.

Looks like you have a really good setup, think it will serve you well, im with mingaa on the holster, but its a personal preference, if it works for you, go with it.

One bit of advice, dont get wrapped up in how fast you are going, focus on accuracy and technique, get those down and speed will come. But all the speed in the world wont matter if you cant hit the target, or are getting penalties for not handling the gun correctly, and or running the course correctly. Another bit of advice, volunteer to help out if it is a range you frequent at least, doing this will get you in good with the regulars, they will provide many useful bits of information, and maybe resources for ammo, reloading supplies, the guys at my range will even loan equipment.

For instance at my range, after i helped out with setting up and taking down the targets for about 2 months (long enough that they knew i wasn't going to disappear) they gave me a key to the targets so i can go and practice when i want to, and offered to make me a RO, RO's at my range who do one match a month can get into any club matches for free, very useful as we have a LOT of clubs and the entrance fees are normally $5-10

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I cant speak to the 24/7 as i don't have one, but my PT1911 work great in uspsa, never had a issue out of it past its initial bad barrel that i sent it in for repair, once i got it back it has been flawless. So from a quality standpoint i would say you are good. Most important thing is, how well you shoot it, if you are comfortable with the 24/7 and can shoot it well, that is what you want to use. And don't let anyone say your taurus isnt a good gun, if they do, practice, and get good with it, then go show them what it can do.

Looks like you have a really good setup, think it will serve you well, im with mingaa on the holster, but its a personal preference, if it works for you, go with it.

One bit of advice, dont get wrapped up in how fast you are going, focus on accuracy and technique, get those down and speed will come. But all the speed in the world wont matter if you cant hit the target, or are getting penalties for not handling the gun correctly, and or running the course correctly. Another bit of advice, volunteer to help out if it is a range you frequent at least, doing this will get you in good with the regulars, they will provide many useful bits of information, and maybe resources for ammo, reloading supplies, the guys at my range will even loan equipment.

For instance at my range, after i helped out with setting up and taking down the targets for about 2 months (long enough that they knew i wasn't going to disappear) they gave me a key to the targets so i can go and practice when i want to, and offered to make me a RO, RO's at my range who do one match a month can get into any club matches for free, very useful as we have a LOT of clubs and the entrance fees are normally $5-10
Well said. Yep - initially slow and accurate will be your best path and your best scores. There is a lot more to the matches than pulling a trigger fast.

If you have a great draw and 1st shot conditioned, mags that drop free 100%, change mags with precision (bring the mag to your gun!) and learn other simple things like NOT crowding cover and shoving your gun through a window to shoot (you have to pull it out to move!) - you can chop 1-2 seconds per stage just with good technique in those areas.

More mags = less time with your nose in a gear bag and more time to watch TOP shooters. Buy more when you know you and the gun are sticking around - IMHO! Watch the poor shooters too - there are lessons in that as well!

Reactions: Wurfywurf

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I dont know about competition shooting, but I always make sure to keep my trigger finge straight down when pushing the button on these holsters. pushing it with the fingertip is what caused that one dude to shoot himself in the leg, the "I just #@$%ing SHOT myself!" guy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got 5 mags. I unloaded and cleared the pistol before taking the picture so the other mag was in my pocket. I do need to work something out with the Blackhawk mag pouches. They're not offering as much retention as I'd like even with the tension screw turned all the way down. I'm not afraid of the Serpa, and as botherbrian mentioned, if you use your finger and not the finger tip it's highly unlikely that your finger will enter the trigger guard. I would like to pick up a BladeTech eventually but after spending nearly $100 on mags I couldn't really justify an additional $65 since I already have a nice holster. I'm more afraid of the retention slowing down my draw than I am shooting myself in the leg.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just started looking at IDPA. It seems like it's right up my alley. I can stand and shoot straight ahead at a bullseye only so many times. lol
Plus, it suits the initial purpose of why I purchased a firearm in the first place........personal protection. Training wrapped around competition? Sounds great to me.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I've got 5 mags. I unloaded and cleared the pistol before taking the picture so the other mag was in my pocket. I do need to work something out with the Blackhawk mag pouches. They're not offering as much retention as I'd like even with the tension screw turned all the way down. I'm not afraid of the Serpa, and as botherbrian mentioned, if you use your finger and not the finger tip it's highly unlikely that your finger will enter the trigger guard. I would like to pick up a BladeTech eventually but after spending nearly $100 on mags I couldn't really justify an additional $65 since I already have a nice holster. I'm more afraid of the retention slowing down my draw than I am shooting myself in the leg.
Have a look at Comp Tac when you get to that point as well. Each has some guns missing from their molds. I have both and IMHO they are both A rated top performers and a great value for that!

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
IDPA released a new rule book about a year ago. I am not up to date on the rules but I would suggest you check the use of the "competition" belt in IDPA. IDPA is a lot more about using equipment more suited to everyday use. Where as USPSA has categories suited more towards specialized equipment.

I would check with your local IDPA match director/club about the Serpa holster. The local club here does not allow use of the Serpa. My intention is not to be critical, just provide info that you may want to double check on so you don't show up to shoot and get disappointed.

Other than that, get out there and have some fun! Because it is!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
IDPA released a new rule book about a year ago. I am not up to date on the rules but I would suggest you check the use of the "competition" belt in IDPA. IDPA is a lot more about using equipment more suited to everyday use. Where as USPSA has categories suited more towards specialized equipment.

I would check with your local IDPA match director/club about the Serpa holster. The local club here does not allow use of the Serpa. My intension is not to be critical, just provide info that you may want to double check on so you don't show up to shoot and get disappointed.

Oh- good point. I just received 2 e-mail messages that appear to contain parts A/B of the newly released rule book.

I have yet to open them (big ) PDFs - I could get lost down that worm hole!

I do know that that the 'flat footed' reload is dead but the particulars are still a sticky wicket!!

I'm happy to forward the new rule book to anyone interested - great that they have gone electronic!!

Reactions: CT.Jer and darbo

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I would check with your local IDPA match director/club about the Serpa holster. The local club here does not allow use of the Serpa. My intention is not to be critical, just provide info that you may want to double check on so you don't show up to shoot and get disappointed.

I'll be shooting USPSA production division. From what I've read the belt doesn't matter as long as it goes through at least three belt loops. That applies to the inner belt of a competition belt. I'll find out more particulars soon. I emailed the local coordinator today.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Idpa is the more 'strict' of the two organizations - keeping their focus on gear that a CCW carrier might actually wear. The outer belt, speed holsters away from the body etc. are USPSA equipment.

Both are careful, challenging and very well structured organizations.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Gonna try USPSA this year, maybe IDPA too. Friends run a good match for USPSA. That is why I will try it. I also have a Serpa holster that I use for my PT809.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Each is fun AND valuable training in their own regard.

....Aaaaaand then there is 3-Gun! ;)

Reactions: darbo

·
Administrator
17,792 Posts
I have used my 9mm 24/7 Pro in a few USPSA/IPSC practice matches and shot Limited Minor, which allowed me to use my Normal Capacity Magazines fully loaded. Normally, I shoot my PT92 in either Production or Limited Minor.

I did shoot my .45 24/7 OSS once in a sanctioned USPSA Match, in Limited 10 Major. Normally, I use one of my .45 EAA Witnesses for that.

These days, I don't have much time for USPSA/IPSC, but I will take in the occasional Practice Match.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Sounds like fun. I wish IDPA, etc... were around here, I'd get involved in a minute!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like fun. I wish IDPA, etc... were around here, I'd get involved in a minute!
Are you near any of these cities?

COALFIELD SHOOTERS ASSOCIATION - IPSC87
Contact Info
James B Morrison
Logan, WV 25601
Phone: (304) 688-2439
Alt Phone: (304) 752-3623
Email: [email protected]

Club Contact: James B Morrison
The name of an authorized score uploader has been omitted since you are not logged in
PEACEMAKER NATIONAL PRACTICAL SHOOTERS - IPSC79
Contact Info
A.j. Williams
Gerrardstown, WV 25420
Phone: (304) 229-4867
Alt Phone: (908) 313-6072
Club/Range Address
1624 Brannons Ford Road
Gerrardstown, WV 25420
Club Phone: 304-229-4867
Club Contact: A.j. Williams
The name of an authorized score uploader has been omitted since you are not logged in
PUTNAM COUNTY GUN CLUB - IPSC57
Contact Info
Gene A Richmond Jr
Hurricane, WV 25526-9296
Phone: (304) 757-6061

Club Contact: Gene A Richmond Jr

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Reactions: Lmstncwby and darbo
1 - 20 of 39 Posts