Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Nope, try weighing 50 bullets, then 50 pieces of brass. Most of the time there will be enough variation in the weights that you can't really know the powder charge unless you weigh each bullet, and case before loading and keep track of the weights. I am not that anal and I don't have the time if I ever want to shoot the reloads.

Reactions: CB236

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Nope, try weighing 50 bullets, then 50 pieces of brass. Most of the time there will be enough variation in the weights that you can't really know the powder charge unless you weigh each bullet, and case before loading and keep track of the weights. I am not that anal and I don't have the time if I ever want to shoot the reloads.
+1 a total waste of time. Better to check each load poured with the scale before seating the bullet if you don't trust your press and powder feed that much.

·
Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
I tried this with factory rounds and found a variation that would make it to hard to speculate if the powder was right. Best method is to drop the powder and do a visual check before placing the bullet on the brass.

·
Registered
20,098 Posts
Any doubt and I knock it apart - that takes a lot less time than pounding out a squib and is a WHOLE lot better than a surprise double load. Much of the time im loading for competition and IF I was able to stop (due to a squib) in a rapid fire sequence. The result would be a blown stage. If I was not able to stop (process what you heard and get that nerve signal to pass the one that has your next shot already in motion) the results would be much worse!

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
Does anyone use there scale for checking bullets for to much or to little powder.????
NOPE!
I check the powder drop from my powder measure in every 12-15 cases (no projectile) and use my beady little eyeballs to check everyone before seating the projectile.

·
Administrator
36,603 Posts
Like Smoke said, too much variation in the components. You would have to weigh the brass beforehand, and trim the cases to where they all weighed exactly the same, etc. Shoot, I've even seen variations in bullet weights of 2/10 of a grain, and that just wouldn't do.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Nope I let my powder cop die do it for me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.