Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Administrator
I've used WD-40 for 35+ years cleaning firearms and have never had any issue whatsoever. Be aware that it is a penetrating oil, so be very careful not to leave ANY in the chamber, magazine or any other place it will come into contact with ammunition. It's not the only thing I use though. Of my three poly guns I currently own it hasn't affected them at all. I worry more about some of the commercial gun cleaners and finish etc. just because of the awful smell. Makes one think, that can't be good.

My humble opinion only. :thumb:

Registered
WD-40 is a very good cleaner for the metal parts, but dont leave it on the blued parts. The intention for the company was for opening up really rusty parts and nuts. I have been using it for the last so many years and i have seen that the blueing on the shotguns getts dimmer if i leave WD-40 on and let it be on the barrel for couple of hours (only when there has been a very rough hunting day with a lot of water dirt and handling in hands). The best i have found is a mixture of four things.

1) Clean the gun with HOT BOILING water.. then get it to dry completely in sun or with your wife's HAIR DRYER. This does two things mainly, the hot water reduces the viscocity of the OILS in the gun and the running hot water takes away all the oil away as fast as you can blink. How ever this should be done by a person who can clean every nook of the weapon and can assemble and dissasemble completely.

2) leave a bit of WD-40 inside the barrel and put pieces of tissue paper on both the ends and leave it for good 20 minutes or so. Then thoroughly clean the inside with hot water.

3) clean the weapon with a mixture of 20 % of linseed oil 30 % of alcohol 50 % of diesel or any other derivative excepting petrol. Remove all the oil with a tissue paper. Do the same with insides of barrel.

4) buy Hoppes No 9 gun oil to lightly oil the moving portions of the gun.

BTW: when storing the gun always remember NOT to leave any HAND PRINTS on the weapon. because guns like shotguns which get stacked away for the half of the year will have the thumb print on it etched with rust.

At least Police will never have any difficulty in knowing whose gun it is ;-)

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
atiqmassan your comment has nothing to do with my question. let me make it clear or repeat my question... IS WD-40 GOOD FOR CLEANING POLYMER FRAME???

Administrator
How rude... :-\

Registered
+2
WD-40 contains stoddard solvent, liquefied petroleum gas, mineral oil, and carbon dioxide. To be sure none of these ingredients affects the particular polymer in question you should call the manufacturer as not all polymer's are the same. My opinions are worth exactly what you paid for them, but I doubt WD-40 will have any effect at all other than making your grip a little slippery if you don't wipe it off good. Most manufacturers realize you will be using some pretty harsh chemicals when cleaning your gun so usually plan the chemistry of their polymers accordingly. I hope my comments are relevant to the question at hand.

Registered
Most polymer frames are made of a material that is resistant if not completely unaffected by solvents and oils besides really harsh stuff like paint thinner,carb cleaner,break free, ect.

I don't think it would hurt to clean with it or get some on it, but i would wipe off all excess as soon as possible.

I would think it would make the grip slippery and would just wash it with hot soapy watter if all the internals were removed or wipe the outside with a wet soapy rag.

Excessive amounts of UV rays from the sun over time will damage some polymer frames. As stated not all "plastics" framed pistols use the same materials.

Administrator
A bit of trivia. WD stands for water displacement. So if you are caught out in the rain...well you know. :thumb:

Registered
tRiPtAMan , THANK you for placing the correct question. I gave an answer about cleaning with WD-40....

if you want an answer to the question that you had asked think about your question again and you will have the answer...

"IS WD-40 GOOD FOR CLEANING POLYMER FRAME???"
HAVE you read what was the intent for WD-40?

24/7 has a ribber grip, and that grip if left soaked with WD-40 is going to lose its toughness/ hardness. with time it feels like a wet sogged rag. YOU want to do anything with your pistol, might as well just go ahead and do it. no one is stopping you but think about what are you going to do.

POLYMER is plastics.... remember that....
will petroleum work well with plastics??
will harsher petroleum by products with gasses be OK with plastics.

better still goto wikipedia and search WD-40 you will have more info that I can tell you.

BTW: I have 24/7 245 in two tone .45 cal. I clean the mags with wd40 but only the steel parts only. the ploymer i clean with soap and water and then dry it out with hair dryer.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
atiqmassan i dont know anything about wd-40 thats what this forum is all about right? thats why i post this thread to know more about cleaning my pistol with wd-40. anyway thanks to all your answers i hope it will help not only me but to all the members and visitors on this site. peace =)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts