Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fixing to tackle replacing the sights on one of my handguns. I have read that putting the slide in a ziploc bag and in the freezer for a couple of hours helps the metal shrink and then helps the sights remove easier. Anyone with any input would be great. Thanks.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
28,104 Posts
If you could apply cold to the sight itself, it might help.
Seems to me that shrinking the slide will just tighten things up.
But if the slide and sight are made of different materials, it's all going to depend on the difference in the coefficients of expansion.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Are you replacing dovetailed sights? If so, put the sights in the freezer and that will help with the install. No offense, but putting the slide and sights both in the freezer won't help I don't believe, since they will both draw down a little. If you are not going to reuse them, I would just use a small nylon punch and lightly tap them out. Should still be able to reuse them again

·
Registered
262 Posts
I would be tempted to warm up the slide, then try the CRC Freeze-off on just the sight. It's supposed to drop the temperature quite a bit, as well as being a very good penetrating oil.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I will second Patrone's idea. Both heating and freezing will not happen quickly. Heating the most time. I would use baggies filled with hot water and keep changing them often.
All depends how bad you want to remove the site.
Bill W.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts