1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Salt" Gun Promises Nonlethal Solution to Home Defense

Popular Mechanics article said:
1446148054-151028104226-salt-package-780x439.jpg
A Chicago startup thinks it has come up with a weapon for people who don't want guns: Salt. The weapon, which recently appeared on the crowdfunding platform Indiegogo, is described as a nonlethal home defense solution.

Salt looks like a typical bullet-firing handgun, but it isn't. It isn't even a firearm as defined by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. Salt is basically a paintgun that fires paintballs filled with an incapacitating pepper extract.

Each Salt gun is powered by a single CO2 cartridge and holds seven balls. Upon impact, the balls explode and create a five foot spray of pepper extract. Salt's inventors claim the extract, derived from the world's hottest peppers and created with the help of a defense contractor, will "cause the lungs to constrict as they would during an asthma attack." Presumably, much like pepper spray it will also inflict blinding, incredible pain to the eyes.

The Salt gun doesn't use an "incendiary firing mechanism"–think the explosive primer in a regular gun that forces a bullet down the barrel. Instead, a burst of pressurized CO2 forces the ball out the barrel. This distinction means Salt is not an actual firearm and could be bought over the counter without legal restriction.

Salt may not technically be a firearm, but it sure looks like one. The weapon features aiming sights over the barrel, a skeletonized trigger, and a Picatinny rail for mounting accessories, such as a light or aiming laser under the barrel.

Salt claims to be safer for households with children–according to the Centers for Disease Control, an average of 62 children a year under the age of 14 are killed in accidental firearm discharges. Salt's CEO Adam Kennedy states, "You should feel comfortable having this by your bed, because your kid can't kill himself with this."SNIP...
Bolded a few parts for emphasis.

Any thoughts on this?

Is this like the little punching ball attachment for LEO sidearms? Is this right in line with the loud, rape-whistle and flashing light pepper spray "gun" that was marketed for use in schools?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Interesting idea at least, but looks like it was cancelled. I would have liked to seen a demonstration.

Update: The Salt gun has now officially been removed from IndieGogo. According to a statement from the company:
We were very disappointed to find that IndieGoGo removed the SALT project yesterday because it straddled the traditional categories of safety device or weapon. Of course, anyone who purchased or donated to SALT through IndieGoGo will automatically receive a full refund.Given the excitement and interest around SALT, we are now taking orders and inquiries on the brand new company site.

·
Registered
14,821 Posts
I'll pass.

If I were legally able to use this, why wouldn't I just use a far more effective REAL firearm?

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
I think it's a bad idea.
It looks enough like a real gun to get a person shot!
It could potentially put out an eye or break bones in a nose or maybe knock out some teeth.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
There are some negative sides to it, but some positive sides to it, as well. Many times, people living in publicly funded housing are restricted from having firearms. This might be a legal alternative. Unfortunately, most people living in public housing couldn't afford the high cost of this weapon.

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
That means it likes you...and cats can be very picky who they like.

You should be honored.
I got a cat and he's my buddy but that other cat needs to stay away. If I decide to get the trap out, I'm taking it to the pound. Stupid cats crapping in my flower beds. They must all die. LOL

·
Registered
6,735 Posts

·
Registered
17,455 Posts
"You should feel comfortable having this by your bed, because your kid can't kill himself with this."

That is until your idiot kid takes it to the park to play, points it at a cop, and gets himself shot.

I think the police have been using something like the paint ball pepper as crowd control for some time now. And I will guarantee you that there are liberal states where this would be illegal to own or use to defend yourself with.

Reactions: rayw

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Seems to me people used to load 12Ga. with Rock Salt.
Non-lethal, but would puncture the skin and BURN LIKE H***!
Get shot in the backside with it.
Daddy shooting Daughter's boyfriend as he exited her bedroom.
I think it was a ******* thing.

·
Super Moderator
20,010 Posts
Seems to me people used to load 12Ga. with Rock Salt.
Non-lethal, but would puncture the skin and BURN LIKE H***!
Get shot in the backside with it.
Daddy shooting Daughter's boyfriend as he exited her bedroom.
I think it was a ******* thing.

For ******** everywhere I will accept your claim and statement. And, as predicated, and to quote Nancy Sinatra, usually was a response to kids "fooling around where they shouldn't've been 'a foolin'".

Reactions: egor20

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
The single pistol Salt gun starter kit is only $349.

And, that pistol is the EXACT same pistol as the Tippmann TPX paintball pistol. You can get that single pistol starter kit for $349.

TiPX Deluxe Pistol Kit*| Tippmann Sports

There is literally no difference

View attachment 143424
There's also this writeup about this pistol.

The Angry Mob and the Internet | IsaacBotkin.com

I would have edited my previous post and added it to that, but for some reason the "edit" function is having Vapor Lock.
Thanks for the link gunnerk19. I don't do paintball, so I didn't know about the Salt being nothing more than an insanely marked-up Tippman paintball pistol.

Wonder if Tippman could sue for copyright infringement (at least Samsung had iPhone-like qualities integrated into their product, Salt is actually selling the Tippman product as their own!).

Isaac Botkin article said:
The first problem is that they haven’t really invented anything. They are selling a completely unmodified Tippman TiPX paintball pistol; something that’s been sold in sporting goods stores for years at a fraction of the price. The projectile, which they claimed to have developed by “completely rethinking the bullet,” is also an off-the-shelf OC-filled paintball that has clearly been bought from Rap4. This combination of standard paintball marker and pepperball ammunition has actually seen real-world use,usually by law enforcement or corrections officers doing minor riot control outside.

Which brings us the second problem: this is just a terrible way to defend the inside of your home. If I wanted to use a pepper-based villain-deterrent indoors, I would pick a pack of foam or gel based pepper spray, something that would stick to the bad guy and not create clouds of floating pepper dust that will settle into my upholstery, books, and baby toys.SNIP...

In short, it’s a hilariously bad, slapped-together campaign that could just as easily been a spoof of hipster crowdfunding. I was pretty sure that an internet mob would show up to mock them, either paintballers laughing at the ridiculously inflated price and capability of a plastic toy, or gun owners debunking SALT’s dusty old anti-gun rhetoric. What I didn’t expect was a mob of anti-gun activists excoriating Adam Kennedy for making a gun. You can’t find the SALT gun campaign on Indiegogo anymore, and it’s because a bunch of unreasonable anti-gunners complained and Indiegogo wimped out. SNIP...
I think the saddest part of the entire write up is the revelation that antis were the ones who attacked the Salt with the most vigour and hatred. Seriously? Accusing Salt of being PRO-gun and manufacturing a gun? Some antis (the mob leadership, at least) are a lost cause.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts