Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I keep hearing or reading that it will void the warranty.
I read every word in my manual and it the warranty does not specifically say that using reloaded ammo voids the warranty.
What it DOES say is "customer abuse", which to me means that proper reloads are OK.
Using overcharged or unsafe reloads would be customer abuse. (which would probably break the gun)
However, in the front of the manual there is the warning that old or reloaded ammo may be dangerous and not recommended.
So what are your opinions?
If the ammo is reloaded according to the reload manuals for powder and bullet, would you use it?

Administrator
I've used tens of thousands of reloads without issue. And if you should ever need service on a Taurus firearm, how will they know, what was used in it? I think it's more of a liability, and cover their bases kind of thing, in the event of something catastrophic.

Registered
^^ I agree

Registered
I feel like it should be a honesty issue. If I know I'm pushing limits of pressure with my reloads and the gun fails or is wearing bad from them, then that's my fault and not the manufacturer's fault. But if I'm shooting my standard pressure .38's in my 605 and the internals fail then I have no issue of giving them a call. Not that such a thing has ever happened. I just don't see why someone would blatently abuse the system when they should know better. But too many people just plain suck so they have to come up with something in lawyer speak to cover them from these suck type people. I don't like it, but until it becomes law to start punching these people's face in when they do suck things... We have to put up with lawyer speak.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
So far my 24/7 has been (pardon the pun) "bullet proof".
RWS 124gr, Federal 115gr and the Hornady 124gr XTP reloads have all fired fine (except when I used Rem primers)
An occasional stovepipe or 2nd strike needed, but overall not any problems.
I found that 5.6gr of HS-6 is the optimum load, very little smoke, practically no crud left in the barrel after shooting 100-200 rounds.
I'm up to around 2000 rounds down the pipe now and it still shoots great.

Registered
My Tauri have never had a factory round thru any of them, I hand load and tailor the loads to the gun, to do otherwise is, by definition; self defeating.

Registered
I had asked another gun manufacturer about this and this is what they basically told me.

The only way we are going to know that you used reloads is if the barrel has a bulge in it or if any other bad effect takes place when shooting it. Then they will not honor the warranty.
So, Fire the safe ones. Work your way up to the max ones and just stay safe. As long as you can do that, Your gonna keep your hands, arms, eyes, face and firearm!

Registered
If you stick to the loads listed in the manuals and settle on a load that provides good accuracy, cycles the action and isn't maximum, you should be good to go. One way is to use light bullets. Keeps pressure down with higher velocity.

Registered
Like a lot of people my age that shoots a lot reloading is just part of the shooting sports. As said before the great thing about reloading is being able to work your loads for a gun. Guns are like women and different ones like different things.

Registered
I have never shot factory ammo in mine. If you ever need the warranty, don't ask, don't tell is how I will approach it. Taurus isn't the only maker who says no reloads.

Registered
Factory made ammunition is made within SAAMI specifications and tolerances and those specs are what firearms manufacturers know they can safely built their guns against.

Any bubba with a Lee Loader can create brass covered dynamite, they WILL fire it, they WILL blow up their gun, they may injure themselves or others and I assure you they WILL sue the gun maker for letting them be stupid.

Reactions: BBGun

Registered
unless you are SAAMI certified never tell a manufacturer you shoot reloads if you are sending back for warranty. i reload all my ammo and have done so for 27 yrs. every manufacturer will void warranty if you tell them you shoot reloads.

Super Moderator
Another dumb question here.
Why would you deliberately overload your reloads and risk catastrophic failure, injury or death to yourself or others, just to get a bigger bang? Regular ammo will go through several bad guys as it is!

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I won't even load to the max in the data table.
I started at the midpoint, in my case it was 6gr.
I didn't like the way they shot, so I went down by .2gr on the next 3 loads.
5.8, 5.6 and 5.4.
5.4 was too weak to cycle every time.
5.6 and 5.8 were about the same, so I went with 5.6 just to save powder.
But with a scale that is only .2gr resolution, those could be anywhere from 5.6 to 5.7.
They work and that's what I'm staying with.
Now if I only had a chrono, I could see how they compare to factory ammo.

Administrator
I've used tens of thousands of reloads without issue. And if you should ever need service on a Taurus firearm, how will they know, what was used in it? I think it's more of a liability, and cover their bases kind of thing, in the event of something catastrophic.
Same here. They don't ask, I don't tell.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
I also switched to HP-38 since it is $5 cheaper than HS-6.
Also takes less powder to load.
4.6gr. works great with 115gr. XTP.
Looks like the same load will work with the 124gr. XTP, but that will have to wait until I buy some.
Also the HP-38 is cleaner burning, ejected cases look just as clean as they were before firing, the HS-6 all come out powder burned on the outside.

Registered
So I keep hearing or reading that it will void the warranty.
I read every word in my manual and it the warranty does not specifically say that using reloaded ammo voids the warranty.
What it DOES say is "customer abuse", which to me means that proper reloads are OK.
Using overcharged or unsafe reloads would be customer abuse. (which would probably break the gun)
However, in the front of the manual there is the warning that old or reloaded ammo may be dangerous and not recommended.
So what are your opinions?
If the ammo is reloaded according to the reload manuals for powder and bullet, would you use it?
In the manual for the 617 it says

The use of reloaded, 鈥渞emanufactured鈥, hand-loaded, or other nonstandard
ammunition voids all warranties. Improperly loaded ammunition
voids all warranties. Improperly loaded ammunition can be extremely
dangerous. Severe damage to the firearm and serious injury to the shooter or
to others may result. Always use ammunition that complies with the industry
performance standards established by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition
Manufacturers Institute, Inc., of the United States, (SAAMI) or the equivalent
from other countries.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
I'm just not going to worry about it.
2000 or more rounds of both factory ammo and reloads and not a darn thing wrong with my 24/7.
All I can see is slight wear on the slide rails which is probably normal.

Registered
Another dumb question here.
Why would you deliberately overload your reloads and risk catastrophic failure, injury or death to yourself or others, just to get a bigger bang? Regular ammo will go through several bad guys as it is!
"SPEED FREAKS"!! I have known several!!
NO way would i use any of thier reloads!
if you review some of the stories and questions here on the forums you see people trying to make the 380 into a 9 MM, the 9 MM into a 40 cal, and the 45 into a 44 magnum!
I mean really you can only kill someone/something so dead !!
that is right isn't it??

Reactions: jwc007 and rodfair
1 - 20 of 23 Posts