Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at a used M85 satin in a pawnshop today. It appears to have been a truck gun that wasn't treated very nicely. Dirty, had some substance all over it that I couldn't identify. The lockup was good, pistol felt solid, but I couldn't bring myself to fork over $275 for it.
Is $275 a reasonable price for one? Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
35,371 Posts
Looked at a used M85 satin in a pawnshop today. It appears to have been a truck gun that wasn't treated very nicely. Dirty, had some substance all over it that I couldn't identify. The lockup was good, pistol felt solid, but I couldn't bring myself to fork over $275 for it.
I gave about that for my stainless ultralite new. Of course, that was in 1996, but that still sounds high for anything, but a pristine condition 85. JMHO.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have one in black. It works fine for me. Only about 300 rounds through it. My is the all steel version so there is much recoil. I took it apart when I got it and cleaned all the excess grease off.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
NO.
Not only is that a high price (bordering on astronomical), I also want to warn you about the 85. Now that Taurus dropped this model, it is under the "five years to obsolescence" policy, so that within the next four to five years the will be NO factory support nor warranty work on that model.

Now, with that being said, I would look at a 605 instead if I was still looking at a Taurus revolver, as they are still supported by the factory for life as they are still produced, and can take both .38 Special and .357 Magnum.

And yes, I own two 85 revolvers, and I thought they WERE fine revolvers until this year, when I had to send one in for warranty work. My like of Taurus has faded fast since then.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I overpaid for a 2002 model 605 hammerless in polished stainless two or three weeks ago. It looks and shoots like new. They still make the 605 but no longer in polished stainless and hammerless. I paid $300 but a new matte stainless with a hammer can be found for around $300 plus shipping and FFL fees. It shoots 38 Special and 38 Special+P very nicely but I have the option of using 357 Magnum (gets your attention). I am very pleased with my purchase.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Curious where in Georgia you're located?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Valdosta, darn near North Florida.
I have an 85UL with a couple of Holsters that I might be interested in parting with. I'm hoping to find someone to pick it up locally. It's a bit of a drive from Savannah to Valdosta or even half way.

·
Registered
994 Posts
This policy is news to me, and I'm not seeing it written up on their website.
Would be news to me as well since the 85 series is still on their website.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Keep looking and never ever go back to that shop.

Reactions: Desperado

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I was drawn to it because of the condition it was in. Dirty, neglected and uncared for. Figured I could get a good deal on it, as I have made some really good deals in that shop previously.
I think that if I came home with another gun right now, my wife would lose.her mind. Probably best I didn't pursue the purchase.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think I was drawn to it because of the condition it was in. Dirty, neglected and uncared for. Figured I could get a good deal on it, as I have made some really good deals in that shop previously.
I think that if I came home with another gun right now, my wife would lose.her mind. Probably best I didn't pursue the purchase.
Ya, I think it might be best to let that one go (or at least sit in he shop until the dealer comes to his [or her] senses). That price is darn close to NIB guns with more to offer. I too, have made a few good deals in a shop that used to be pretty proud of their product. I've paid their asking price on a few items but they were acceptable prices. They are out of business now. Sad to see them go, they were good people.
So what's up with your wife losing he mind? Do you actually tell her that you are buying (or bought) a gun? I suppose that you might tell her you passed on the beat up 85 but that's as far as I'd go.
Flex

1 - 18 of 18 Posts