Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a used one at a local shop the other day. The guy helping me behind the counter didn't know much about the gun since he didn't take it in and the gentleman that did wasn't working. They were asking $400 out the door for it, which I think you could get it for better then that. Looking the gun over you could see its wear marks from being holstered, but you could also see how dirty it was. Looked like when I opened the slide it hadn't been cleaned in a while.

So what would you all pay for a used unit? Think it could be had for around $300?
Does the warranty transfer between owners?

Thanks for any opinions or advice!

·
Registered
162 Posts
If it seems to be working and you can get a price that satisfies you, probably worth the risk. Some dealers clean used firearms and some leave them like they were purchased. I'd get as much history as I could.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
As to the warranty, There is nothing that I have seen that says only the original owner get warranty. The 100% warranty is for the life of the gun! The only exception might be for some really old guns, that are not fixable for some reason.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well

This gun was at a pawn shop/gun dealer and it was pawned. They have no information at all from the gun. Only that they have had it for about 4 months for holding. And has been available for sale for a week and a half.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'd give it a good looking over and would probably buy it for that price. Yes, the finish may be worn but many here have confirmed that the blue finish is on the weak side. And if there's anything actually wrong with it you have the warranty to back you up. Or if you don't want to wait that long you can probably get aftermarket parts to deal with it. Just keep the OEM ones so you can swap them back in if you end up sending it in for something.

Steelheart

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
If it's only been used and not abused I think $400 would be a fair price, and if you can talk them down a little that's a bonus.

If it's mechanically sound and the bore looks fine as MC350 noted, it should be fine with a little TLC.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Guys... remember that the basic frame for a "build" gun would run about that price. Ask if you can field strip it... should take about 30 seconds... look for excessive wear, but all things on a 1911 are replaceable... however, the gun is probably sound... the guy who pawned it just needed the cash!

·
Registered
162 Posts
The more I think about it, I'd buy the pistol if it looked to be in reasonable shape.

Worst case would be I would have wasted the money. Wouldn't be the first time.

Next worst case: It would have to go back to Taurus.

Next: I'd have a project gun to rebuild.

Best case: I'd have two to take to the range.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Buy it

·
Registered
267 Posts
Firemedic,
Offer the guy $300 and see what happens. The local pawn shops here will usually deal if you have cash in hand. The exception is if the weapon is really a hot seller to begin with. Around here that would be a Colt or Kimber and most of those used are at the gun shows or Gander Mountain, not the pawn shops. Here my new PT 1911 was about $589.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For around $100 more, you could probly find a brand new one. I don't really like the idea of buying a used/pawned gun because you never know who shot it or who was shot by it. That's just me, though.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Actually, I've gotten some of my best guns from pawn shops over the years. Just look them over real well before you buy them. All the decent ones here give a thirty day warrenty on all their stuff, except electrical.

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
my expierence with pawn shops is they always have close to $50 bucks to deal with before they cut into there profit I've baught some vary nice weapons from pawn shops look on the back of the tag if there are numbers written backwards thats what his bottom line is a little trick I learned

·
Registered
18 Posts
jwood775 said:
For around $100 more, you could probly find a brand new one. I don't really like the idea of buying a used/pawned gun because you never know who shot it or who was shot by it. That's just me, though.
or who it was shot at!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I live in Oklahoma City and there is a pawn shop here that has a used pt1911 for $719!! :eek: I don't know what his bottom line is but I would think you could get a new one for less.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
dante2 said:
I live in Oklahoma City and there is a pawn shop here that has a used pt1911 for $719!! :eek: I don't know what his bottom line is but I would think you could get a new one for less.
Indeed. www.budsgunshop.com has brand new stainless PT1911s @ $575.00.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts