Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Used PT1911 prices

5K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  johanncaparas 
#1 ·
A guy locally is advertising a used PT1911 blued with one factory magazine, no box or papers for $650. I paid $400 for mine with all original accessories. Crazy!

#2 ·
Well with the curent situation of Presidential Ben Dover Obama legislation any one with the hicap mags and clips has a gold mine, Also this might boot us up to public enemy number 1... As I own several for a few of the fire arms I all ready own...Guess this makes me a Criminal...But I will not relenquish them for any reason.....

#6 ·
I haven't seen any used PT 1911's around here. But I did get mine new a couple years ago for less than $650!!

Asking $650 and getting it are two different things. But I did hear one question recently in a crowded gun shop that made me think he might get the asking price... A guy just bought what looked like a 1911 (Rock Island maybe? i didn't get a good look) and asks the guy behind the counter... "This takes a special size bullet right?" (And I don't think he was thinking along .357/.38 special lines based on all I overheard...) I'm not knocking him at all, he did ask a smart question, but it seems like people who never had an interest are buying now for the first time, that's a great thing but it also means many are going to get ripped off!

Reactions: olfarhors
#7 ·
I don't think that the 1911 should be or in fact is worth any more now than it was 6 months ago. The magazine capacity is limited to well under the asked for 10 round limit. The 1911 is too complicated for the person who is caught up in the buying scare recently created. And it is really to large to be used as a conceal carry weapon by most.
I have seen some owners really push the boundries of what they think someone may pay for their firearms, and I am sure there are a few people who have paid these wild asking prices for a firearms that is in no danger of being banned or kicked to the wayside.
In the wise words of an old movie character "Stupid is as Stupid does" And some of these wild prices are just that "Stupid". But, then this is just my opinion.

#10 ·
I don't think that the 1911 should be or in fact is worth any more now than it was 6 months ago. The magazine capacity is limited to well under the asked for 10 round limit. The 1911 is too complicated for the person who is caught up in the buying scare recently created. And it is really to large to be used as a conceal carry weapon by most.
Well you fail to recognize though that there has likely only been a few hundred 1911's made in history!!
they are like almost a collecible item!
very hard to find and buy!

#9 ·
Yep! there are some really crazy prices floating around!
I have a neighbor that loves Ar's, he had a few and sold a Danial Defense for 4 grand, now it had a Eotech sighh and dressed out with the sling and so forth but really, 4 grand.
he has also sold about 6 others of lesser known name for in the 2 grand to 2500 , he just laughs his butt off everytime he sales one.
I see on gun sites that are local all kinds of insane prices as well for all kinds of pistols as well.
eveyrone has to make a decision but honestly i am just not going to pay those prices , of course i guess if you want a gun and don't have one then maybe thats a different thing.
I have seen Taurus Pt1911's going for in the 600-750 range depending on which model and of course all are used, a reasonable "My price' to me is a blue in the 500 dollar range used and a stainless in the 550-575 price used.
others may think differently but thats where i am to get my money.

#13 ·
I had gone to my LGS on Thursday or Friday and found a PT1911 .45 ACP. One magazine. Not sure if there was a box and the pistol looked like it went to heck and back.
Lots of carry wear and looked like the guy just didn't care for it. Scratched up quite a bit on the slide and all. Kinda dirty to.

LGS is asking $400 for it. Told me he can let me have it for $385 OTD.
I wanted to buy it just because it is a 1911, A Taurus ( because you know there fine pitolas ) and chambered in .45 ACP.
Im still thinking about it.

Not sure if I should get that or the 605 instead since I really need something for conceal carry. They was asking $350 used for it. They also has a Slim 709 for $225!
Look at me...Ranting....Anyways.

I would value this pistol at about 60-70%. What would you say?

#14 ·
I would say to go get it, that is if you want a 1911.
I would do a good function/safety check on it and if it passed then it would be mine.
The finish even on a new blue PT isn't the best in the world to begin with, but if it bothers you then have the thing cera koated or reblued.
one of our sponsors does duracoat as well.
the other parts are backed by Taurus so even if its worn out , send it back and they will repair or replace the gun for you.
I had a Pt1911B cera koated in burnt bronze and Graphite black, and is been a very durable hard finish so far, shot about 4-500 rounds through it since having it done.
They offer about 100 different colors in the Cera Koat process.
this would be ideal for me cause i got a friend that does the coating for cost, but you can get it done for 150-200 bucks usually.

Attachments

Reactions: Laker
#15 ·
Great looking 1911! I like that you change the ambi safty out. I don't like them either. What do you use, and is it drop in?

#19 ·
yea, thats the one thing that i really don't care for on the Pt1911, them ambi safeties are just HUGE!!
Now i am right handed and don't really care for any ambi, but can live with the smaller regular sized ones.
I think this was an Ed Brown but don't hold me to that.
I actually use whatever good qulality thumb safety that I find availible.
No it took a bit of fitting, but nothing to bad, say 15-20 minutes and it was in.
Did my Duo-Tone too.
need to get the AL and Stainless done one of these days.
heres a pic, the Blue PT1911 in the pictures is the same 1911 before the Cera-Koat.

Attachments

#16 ·
$650 is almost $100 more than I gave for 2 of my PT1911's NIB!

#17 ·
Just saw a dealer here in Ohio advertising a NIB PT1911 for $529. Wish they were closer.

#21 ·
Thats what PT1911B in 9MM were selling for here severl months ago.
but that was before the great gun ban debate!
haven't seen a new PT1911 around here in a while now.

#23 ·
pretty good price on a "DUO-TONE" Taurus 1911DT
don't see many of them floating around for some reason.

#24 ·
I bought my PT 1911B back in 08 used for $ 399.00 at one of the local VFW Gun Shows,The Cimmarron 1911 I just bought new was $499.00,but no bells and whistles like the Taurus. I just wish Taurus made a 70 series model,instead of just 80 series.Simplisity is always better.To many safety devices,all you really need is 1/2 cock,and thumb safety,in my opnion,thats why I love the 70 series.Don't get me wrong I love my Taurus,and I love the fact that it is warrantyed for life,and that it comes from the factory loaded with all the goodies that custom guns come with but at a much lower price tag. Back to pricing though I just bought a new 1911B for $529.00,though this one is getting a make over,Ed Brown mainspring/magwell housing,extended SS slide stop,match grade barrel,tactical single side slim thumb safety,and my local gunsmith makes a series 80 to 70 conversion kit,will probly install a SSHardcore hammer and sear.

#26 ·
I just bought my PT1911 01pbl NIB 2012 manufactor date $575.

#27 ·
well not used but!
saw a good bunch of Taurus PT1911 in plain blue in both 45 acp and 9MM for 569.99.
haven't seen any new Pt1911 in these parts for a while so i was a bit surprised.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.