Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Do you mind buying 2nd hand guns? or is it strictly NIB for you?

• NIB only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Used is the best value

• I'll buy both

• Only if the used one is in LNIB shape.

• I'll buy a used gun reguardless of shape (priced acordingly of course)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So which is it for you?

Do you only buy new or used? or are both options for you?

Personally i like new.. but im open to buying any gun reguardless of shape if i can get a good deal..
if it's for my collection then it's gotta be in good shape if it's used..

but sometimes i look at rough guns that might be good shooter or beaters if they're cheap enough.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I will but one used if it is in great shape.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I generally buy NIB but will buy a used firearm if it's in acceptable shape.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I've bought a few new, but mostly used. If you watch for the deals, you're fine. And there are a lot of good deals out there now, the way the economy is. I've bought some that I didn't like and never had to sell for less than I paid. It's kind of like buying a new car. After the first round is fired, it's used. And the value goes way down.

·
Super Moderator
21,539 Posts
If I buy used its through a friend or I'll really check it out good. If its an auto I'll field strip it and check fit and any sign of abuse. A revolver I'll check cylinder movement and of couse barrel on both. Got burned on a SKS but only paid $100 bucks for it and it was lucky to hit a paper plate at 25 yrds it had a great stock on it and the finish was flawless so I sold it to a friend that just wanted to hang it on his wall with his other guns I told him it didn't shoot well, but he said he didn't care. Got a great buy on a Browning 30.06 medallion it had a chip on the stock and was missing the internal mag for $150 put a new scope on it and a new mag it shot 1 inch at 100 yrds I think the pawn shop guy thought it was dropped pretty hard I took a chance on that one and came out a big winner. win some and lose some even NIB you can get a lemon. It just hurts worse when its new because you expect it to function and be everything you've saved your money for.

·
32,532 Posts
Will buy either way, new or used. Checking the gun over thoroughly whether NIB or used is something buyers should do as a matter of course.

Mas Ayoob(Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery) has a several page chapter with checklists of what to inspect for revolvers or for pistols. This includes a step by step simple, easy to follow approach. www.krause.com

Would like to raise the subject if we need a "how to inspect" guide here at the forum as a sticky or a sticky for one and all.

Feelings and opinions, folks?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if someone wanted to write up a check list that would probably be a good thing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've bought a few used Long-guns and one used pistol. All were good shooters and in reliable condition. I DO prefer NIB for warranty situations though.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The only times I'll shop for NIB is for warranty issues (Kel-tec for example only warranties the first owner) or for a gun that could have a high round count but not much apparent wear (think AR).

Beyond that, used is fine as it saves me some $$$.

Steelheart

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've looked at a few used guns, but the price diference didn't out weigh the lack of warranty general reserved for first owners. Taurus of course being the exception.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i bought my 454 from someone used, but he is captain know it all and treats everything decently and i fired it before hand, if i could find a pt145 in the low 2s id snatch it up, but that seems improbable

·
Administrator
39,727 Posts
I'll buy either, but I check the used over very well. Come to think of it, I check the new over very well. No problems yet. More new than used though. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I only have 2 handguns right now, well 3 by the end of the week. I just bought the Taurus 1911SS. All of them were NIB. I have a hard time judging wear on an auto and most of the time I do not find the good deals on used.

·
Registered
212 Posts
So far, I've only bought new guns. I would buy a nice used one, if they had what I wanted for a decent price. I typically know exactly what I want, and they have only had used a couple of times. Each of those times, I was able to get the new one for $100-200 more....so I bought the new one. Generally, I've found the gun stores don't give much of a discount for a nice used specimen. I've had friends sell guns for a good price, I just didn't want what they were selling.

·
Super Moderator
21,539 Posts
When I bought my pt 1911 the guy was trying to sell me a hoped up S&W 1911 with laser and two toned slide and grip I racked the slid and went to engage the safety it stoped about half way I tried a couple more times same thing and showed it to the salesman he tried not make a big deal about it. Don't blame him but I thought it was a major deal. I try to check out at least two of the same model guns before I buy. It could save you a severe headache down the road.
By the way the S&W was twice the price and supposed to be the hot thing at the moment.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I will buy used if it came from my buddies that shoot or my gun store( they are really good at checking stuff)
I don't really buy alot of guns(you know budget issues ;))

"how to inspect" guide here at the forum as a sticky or a sticky for one and all.
I learned some things in here about what to look for on used guns. I think Qwiks has a good idea... We have alot of guys( like me) that don't always know what to look for :)

·
Administrator
35,305 Posts
of course I love that new gun smell, but you can really find some gems....I found a S&W model 10 .38 spcl for $200 once, great robe gun for answering the door late at night.....I also bought a Ruger P97 or something like that, 45 cal with two magazines, for $300 - that gun shot great too, by the way....my very first gun was a S&W model 65 .357 magnum....and my first Taurus was a model 669 vented rib .357 magnum, but that one was brand spankin' new :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts