Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought two used 85 .38s, each from a different seller.

I am impressed. Very nicely made guns. Blued one is a 97 and stainless one is a 98 (according to Taurus site serial lookup). Interestingly, neither has the integrated locking system.

Shot the 97 already, performed flawlessly. The 98 appears to be in the same condition. Pictures to follow (after I finish struggling with my phone camera)....

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
97 blued M85 pictured with DB380 that I then traded for the 98 stainless M85.

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 98 stainless M85. I think I'm developing a Tauri habit :)

Attachments

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Good looking guns and, in my limited experience I found the M85 to be very well made.
Have yourself a ball!.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you kindly, they appear to be quite sturdy. I'm going to have lots of fun terrorizing the water jugs :D

I'm very pleased with using either as a carry piece (more so than with the .380).

·
Registered
213 Posts
Future purchases: *Looks at Taurus website, looks at wallet, looks at pile of bills, looks at Taurus website, looks at wallet, looks at Taurus website...*

hahahahahahaha.........................

thanks, that sure gave me a chuckle in my mundane day....lol

BTW, I have a Stainless 3" model 85 38 Spl, and a Blued 905 9mm....I know your pain....wanting a 3" Model 327...

Will say my prayers to the big cylinder in the sky tonight, seeking funds.....

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
When they march me to debtor's prison, I'll be packin ;)

That 3" model 85 sounds awesome, and is probably what I'll look for next. The 327 would be nice as well for a BUG, if I feel I can find steady ammo.

Meanwhile, I'll be a-dodgin' as the big cylinder in the sky tilts to extract its empties right above me.....

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
The 98 stainless M85. I think I'm developing a Tauri habit :)
Hey, I've been there...done that!

It was a model 85 .38 Special, back in 1991, that started my love affair with the brand.:wub:

Reactions: Pbass

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If this is being bad, I don't want to be good :guns:

"And so he says to me, you want to be a bad guy? and I say Yeah Baby! I want to be bad! I says Churchill space ponies I'm making gravy without the lumps! Ah ha ha ha ha haaaaa!!!!!"

- The Evil Midnight Bomber what Bombs at Midnight

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, I've been there...done that!

It was a model 85 .38 Special, back in 1991, that started my love affair with the brand.:wub:
Seems I'm following in your footsteps. It's just a shame that (due to personal economics) my Taurus wish list was on hold for about 2 years (after a trade fell through). But man it was worth the wait.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Those are both the older design of the M85. I greatly prefer most of the older style Taurus and Rossi guns. I would also have bought them both.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Congrats on the new additions. Might want to take a trip to the Taurus store and look at the grips with the pinky extension. Made a difference in how mine feels in my hand. Reasonable price also.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those are both the older design of the M85. I greatly prefer most of the older style Taurus and Rossi guns. I would also have bought them both.
Ah good to know, thank you. I wasn't aware of that. I got lucky.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh have you shot the DB? I'm interested in the DB9.
I put about 150 rounds through the DB380. It was a ZD series serial number, with the problems worked out (from what I've read)...there were issues with the magazine release being cheap material and very hard to press, now it's stainless steel and easier....the amount of stove pipes and failures to feed were addressed with a better polished feed ramp (and avoiding certain ammos, such as WWB). In the last 1/3 of those 150 rounds the pistol functioned better. The first 100 were WWB FMJ and I had 2 stove pipes and 3 failures to feed. With the last 50 of the break-in period (which is still incomplete), I used PMC FMJ which fed better. The Magtech Guardian Gold .380 JHP has been described as a good performer for the pistol.

I definitely like the snubs better, when I get another auto loader I'll look at a 9mm in a larger size frame.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 26 Posts