Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does one use an IWB type holster for concealed carry and still be neatly dressed? I have seen videos of people blousing a shirt over their handgun but they still looked sloppy. Any suggestions or ideas of how this is done and have a neat professional appearence ? Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
285 Posts
Most of the time I wear a button up collar shirt. It covers very well and you still get to dress with a clean look. I wear my IWB at 2 O'Clock, I know others have there own preferences but that's where I feel most comfortable. I always have easy access to my weapon and I don't have to worry about not being aware that I am not concealed properly. When I sit, I move it to 3 O'Clock. Has worked well for me since I got my CHL back in Feb.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess im missing something here because Im so new to all this. I have an Uncle Mike's Sidekick holster. Perhaps i should look for another type?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
They make IWB holsters that are "tuckable," meaning you can still tuck your shirt in. I have a plain IWB. Maybe someone with more holsters than me can chime in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
For my PT111, the tuckable Galco SkyOps works great. I can wear slacks & a tucked in shirt and it conceals completely. The holster made for the Springfield XD's will fit the 111, 140, & 145.

For standard IWB carry & shirts/T-shirts not tucked in, I like the one from Gun-Works and the cheap black nylon from Uncle Mikes. The Uncle Mikes' is the one I use for summer/warm weather carry with shorts and T-shirts. It's not bulky, light weight, & very concealable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
So, do you guys buy your pants a size larger for IWB carry? I can usually carry my small gun (Polish P64) IWB without a problem but not sure that the PT145 will fit as well IWB. I am carrying it OWB right now in a Jak slide type. Of course I wear my shirt out .
I am considering a Cross-Breed Super Tuck but don't want to buy all new pants.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I carry Pt1911 or one of my other .45's in a tuckable IWB 5 days a week. I wear dress slacks and starched shirts sometimes with neckwear. None of my customers or co-workers and have ever made me. I carry at 3:30 and am in and out of my vehicle many times per day. You will most likely end up with a holster drawer filled with the culled holsters after you have found your favorite. Best of luck in your search.

·
Registered
147 Posts
tnwalker98 said:
I guess im missing something here because Im so new to all this. I have an Uncle Mike's Sidekick holster. Perhaps i should look for another type?
Most people end up with a drawer full of holsters before finding "the one" that works best for them. What holster depends on you and your preferences and the gun you want to carry. A good concealed carry holster for the compact to sub compact gun is Smart Carry. The smaller guns just disappear and some can even carry a full sized 1911 there.

A good IWB holster will also do the job even with the larger guns. I have a 5" 1911 that hides real good in a Crossbreed at 3:30. I also have a 5" Taurus 45 that carrys very well at 3:30. My XD 4" 45 just snuggles in and disappears in the Crossbreed. My 3" 40 cal disappears. And this is with no coats, just long shirt tailed shirts or even tucked in. Any OWB holster is going to require a coat to hide it.

You have to dress for what you are hiding. Most large guns will require looser fitting clothing. Darn hard to hide a full sized 1911 with skin tight cloths, while many could carry the new Ruger 380 with tighter fitting cloths.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I use The Answer from Tucker Gunleather carrying a PT1911. Very comfortable and is tuckable. The clips do show, but if you blouse your shirt out just a bit, they pretty much dissapear. Even if you don't do that, they're not terribly noticable anyway.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I own a Crossbreed Supertuck with my 24/7 pro. It works best with untucked shirts. If I tuck it, I have to change the way I carry the gun (body position and cant) to hide it better. Even then, it's hard to hide a gun this size in a tucked shirt with no jacket. I bought it with the plan to wear untucked shirts over it. It hides very well that way.

I'm no expert, but I think that a lot depends on the gun that you are trying to conceal.

A for pants. I still wear the same size pants but they can be a little tight and sometimes uncomfortable. I don't mind it so much because I know the gun won't easily move.

·
Registered
38 Posts
jackson713 said:
I don't need my pants to be a size larger using the Uncle Mikes IWB with my PT140. I do loosen the belt one notch, though.
Interesting, I usually tighten one notch; just to "suck it up" to my belly. I could use to lose a few pounds... :rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts