Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An article I read said if your snub shoots too low get cartridges with bigger bullets to make it shoot higher.

I'd appreciate it if someone could explain the logic of this. And would it apply to longer barrels?

JimL

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
We must read the same area's. I even tried it. Got some larger than 115 9mm either 124 or 147 or some darn thing.

Shot up a box of each, and got very little difference, but there was a difference. It could have just been me trying harder.

Do not remember the articles logic, but they did explain it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The heavier bullets impart more recoil and muzzle flip or rise also they take longer to leave barrel. therefore heavier bullets tend to leave the barrel at a higher point in the recoil.for a drastic difference try a 44 mag with 180s and 300 grn

·
Registered
132 Posts
mavracer said:
The heavier bullets impart more recoil and muzzle flip or rise also they take longer to leave barrel. therefore heavier bullets tend to leave the barrel at a higher point in the recoil.for a drastic difference try a 44 mag with 180s and 300 grn
very true and good example

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mavracer said:
for a drastic difference try a 44 mag with 180s and 300 grn
Thanks, but since my kid brother nearly knocked himself cold with a .44 Mag I've felt no need to duplicate the feat. :zzz: :D

(Maybe he was using 400 grn?) :) :eek:

JimL

·
Registered
296 Posts
I remember the first time (with my grandfather) my older brother used a 12 ga and slugs. Knocked him on his butt. Granddad turns to me and asked if I wanted to try. The look on my face had to have been priceless. Brother was 4 years older and 50# heavier. Didn't take him up on the offer. :D

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stephpd said:
I remember the first time (with my grandfather) my older brother used a 12 ga and slugs. Knocked him on his butt. Granddad turns to me and asked if I wanted to try. The look on my face had to have been priceless. Brother was 4 years older and 50# heavier. Didn't take him up on the offer. :D
I'm thinking a really long skateboard and lots of room behind you? ;D

JimL

·
Registered
121 Posts
I also remember the 12ga days. the first time i shot one dad said to hold onto it. Next thing i know i was getting hit in the side of the mouth.

·
Registered
89 Posts
JimL said:
Thanks, but since my kid brother nearly knocked himself cold with a .44 Mag I've felt no need to duplicate the feat. :zzz: :D

(Maybe he was using 400 grn?) :) :eek:

JimL

yor comment reminds me of this video:

·
Registered
178 Posts
JimL, Yes you can often raise the point of impact by going to a heavier bullet. In the reverse if the gun is shooting high a lighter bullet can often lower the point of impact. Mavracer is correct, the bullet is still in the bbl when recoil starts a heavier bullet is usually in the bbl longer than a lighter one & produces more recoil so the heavier bullet impacts higher on the target. I've seen this many times in the .38 special & .44 Special, sometimes the difference is considerable. Hope this helps. Frank

·
Registered
63 Posts
Frank V said:
a heavier bullet is usually in the bbl longer than a lighter one & produces more recoil so the heavier bullet impacts higher on the target.
Would this be true in a machine rest as well?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Would this be true in a machine rest as well?
probably somewhat a machine rest allows the gun to recoil then return.
on a similar note when shooting a remington style derringer(over/under) with a loose grip and realatively low velocity the top bbl will shoot way higher than the bottom. because the top bbl is above the grip causing the gun to roll in your hand whereas the bottom recoils more strait back.I've actually determined that lineing up the sights and yanking the trigger works best with the dang things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.