Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the first firing of my new PT1911 a couple of weeks ago it was shooting about 4" low at 10 yards. I called Taurus and asked for a lower front sight. At first I was told they don't have a lower sight but after pressing the issue they agreed to send one out. Called today to check the status of the order and was told they are out of stock and don't know when they will come in. I also inquired about the extractor problem and they confirmed that it does exist but they couldn't give me the range of serial numbers affected. They did say that most failures occur within the first 100 rounds. I've put 120 through it and no problems yet. Anyone have afailure after 100 rounds?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
yes the first pt 1911 i had the extractor tip broke off at around 500rds., the 2nd. pt 1911 the extractor tip broke at 150rd., so far the 3rd. pistol i have 200 rds.through it and the extracxctor so far has held up. as far as your sight issue if you don't want to wait on taurus look under the novak front sight thread i posted a reply that will help you choose the right hieght for your front sight.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info on the sights, oso, I'll check it out. Not good to hear about the extractors, though. Did you replace them yourself or send it in? I really hate to sent it back to the so I do the repairs myself. I haven't had the extractor out of a 1911 since the 1960's but think I still remember how to do it. The first 1911 I got is a WWII Ithaca mixmaster I got through the DCM during the '60's and the other is a Springfield EMP. Got the Taurus mainly so my Grandson and daughter-in-law have something to shoot when they visit and that won't be until summer so there's no big rush. Think I will put another 800 - 900 rounds through it though to give the extractor a chance to break if it is going to.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
i took it back to the dealer where i bought it, his distributer davidsons replaced the pistols.

·
Registered
41 Posts
At the first firing of my new PT1911 a couple of weeks ago it was shooting about 4" low at 10 yards. I called Taurus and asked for a lower front sight. At first I was told they don't have a lower sight but after pressing the issue they agreed to send one out. Called today to check the status of the order and was told they are out of stock and don't know when they will come in. I also inquired about the extractor problem and they confirmed that it does exist but they couldn't give me the range of serial numbers affected. They did say that most failures occur within the first 100 rounds. I've put 120 through it and no problems yet. Anyone have afailure after 100 rounds?
Don't count on getting that lower front sight! They told me the same story last summer that they were out of stock and that they would send one. Following up on their promise just I was told that "they wouldn't stop the assembly line for one sight for me" (just blew me off.) I ended up filing down the front sight myself and now all is well. Good luck!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't count on getting that lower front sight! They told me the same story last summer that they were out of stock and that they would send one. Following up on their promise just I was told that "they wouldn't stop the assembly line for one sight for me" (just blew me off.) I ended up filing down the front sight myself and now all is well. Good luck!
Not good to hear, gberghane, but I'm not surprised. When I bought the gun the barrel was so dirty that you could barely see through it. But what the heck, a new gun will have a good barrel, right? Wrong! It had 3 significant tool marks running across the lands just inside the muzzle. Not conducive to accuracy or easy cleaning. Called Taurus and they told me to send it in and they would send me a new barrel. I sent it by Priority Mail with tracking so I know when they received it. After a month I called to check the status. Was told that yes, they had received the defective barrel. I asked when I could expect the new barrel. The customer service rep said " Oh, I guess we can release it. You can expect it in 10 to 12 working days". I can't help wondering how much longer it would have taken if I hadn't called.

I know some of the guys on the Forum have reported good service but that hasn't been my experience and it doesn't sound like yours.

As far as the sights and extractors are concerned they are certainly aware of the problems. I fail to understand why they don't get out in front of them and rectify them instead of giving us the run around. Yes, I understand that manufacturing problems do occur so I'm not blaming them for that. It's the failure to live up to the warranty they claim to provide.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too bought a PT1911 AR that shot very low. I called Taurus and they had me send it in. No problems dealing with the rep. on the phone. If I remember right it took about a month or so and I had it back. They sent me a letter explaining that they put a smaller front sight on it and gave me the targets that they shot at from 15yds. The range I shoot at is 25yds, at that distance its still 3" low.
I just ordered the fully adjustable 3 dot sight from Novaks. I have not put it on the gun yet but I hope it cures the problem.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting that they had you send it in and replaced the sight, Pacoman. I didn't ask about sending it in, just asked for a lower sight. Guess I should have asked to send it to them. Figured replacing the sight would be a simple job and didn't see any point in asking them to pay the shipping when it's something I can easily do. When did you send it in? I first asked for the sight about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sent it in Oct 4th got it back Oct 25th.

I figured you did not trust Taurus to do it and wanted to do it yourself.
It isn't a matter of not trusting them to do it. They built it so they should certainly be qualified to fix it. This is a new gun so they would have paid shipping costs both ways which, if what I've read on this forum is correct, is $60 each way for a total of $120. That's over 20% of the cost of the entire gun and would certainly eat up a significant part of their profit. I was simply trying to save them some money on both shipping and labor since it is a simple repair. My mistake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts