Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is an update on my PT738 concerning the thread I started here: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/t...79-first-time-range-my-738-not-impressed.html

First off, I have to say that Taurus CS has been stellar for me. I was treated very politely and they made it easy to return. I received my gun back within one week when they told me it might take 4-6 weeks. I did not get an extra mag for my troubles as some here have reported getting, but they did send me the Bulldog pouch that comes with the more pricier version (would've rather had the extra mag).

The most important thing however is whether the issues with my 738 have been resolved, and I haven't got a chance to range test it as I wasn't expecting it to be returned this fast so I haven't stocked up on ammo. I will report back on that as soon as I'm able.

If Taurus' Gunsmiths are as good as their CS, I'll be a happy camper. Here are the areas of concern and the diagnostic codes I got from Taurus. Perhaps someone here can tell me exactly what they did?

1. Pin next to trigger popped out after firing session (not the take-down pin): Diagnostic code - NPF
2. Double feeding and failure to extract: Diagnostic code - Oversized Extractor

Taurus said they have "adjusted" the oversize extractor. But I don't know what "NPF" means.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
You said:
Taurus said they have "adjusted" the oversize extractor. But I don't know what "NPF" means.

NPF generally means "NO PROBLEM FOUND"

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You said:

NPF generally means "NO PROBLEM FOUND"
Well obviously there was a problem, because the pin by the trigger was hanging more then half way out when I sent it back to them, and I have photos of that from my original thread. If they simply just pushed it back in, then the problem will not be resolved as the same thing will happen again during the next range session. Having a pin almost pop out of a semi-auto frame while firing, and then Taurus labeling that "No Problem Found" is a bit alarming to me if that's the case.

Actually, one of the two areas on my receipt Taurus listed as a "concern" they simply labeled "Trigger". That is not what my concern was, but the pin in the frame by the trigger. They also got the ammo wrong I used that I believed was causing the all the problems. They labeled it "24 rds. of Winchester 380 Auto 95gr. JHP T-Series". Actually, the ammo I used was WWB 95gr. flat-nose FMJ's, and I shot 100 rds., not 24 rds. I clearly told them all this over the phone.

I guess I will have to call Taurus and find out what they did about that pin.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Glad you got it back so quick, but don't count on getting an answer to your question about what they did with the pin issue. Also, what you told the person on the phone probably did not make it to the gunsmith who worked on it. Taurus is working on getting their system fine tuned so this doesn't happen. You have to include all the info, on paper, with the gun, so the gunsmith can actually see what you think is wrong. If you included this, great. But if you just relied on the person you talked to on the phone to tell the gunsmith what you said a few days earlier, like I said, it probably didn't happen. So here is where you stand:you sent the gun in for repairs and you got it back. Great! Now go shoot it and see if they fixed it. If not, then call them back and talk to them about the next step. The proof will be in the shooting. Now if the pin pops back out, I suggest you put a tiny drop of locktite on the pin and push it back in and wipe off the excess immediately and let the gun sit to cure the locktite. That will fix that problem. If our TCP doesn't like one brand of ammo, try another. I have a TCP and so does my wife. Both have been flawless, but when guns are new, they take time to break in. Find ammo that works and stick with it til you have put 300-500 rounds through it. A lot of times, you can then try different ammo that may not have worked in the past, with good results. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I'm glad you got your gun back. Let us know how it shoots once you make it out to the range. Who knows? Maybe you won't have any problems with that pin.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Well obviously there was a problem, because the pin by the trigger was hanging more then half way out when I sent it back to them, and I have photos of that from my original thread. If they simply just pushed it back in, then the problem will not be resolved as the same thing will happen again during the next range session. Having a pin almost pop out of a semi-auto frame while firing, and then Taurus labeling that "No Problem Found" is a bit alarming to me if that's the case.

Actually, one of the two areas on my receipt Taurus listed as a "concern" they simply labeled "Trigger". That is not what my concern was, but the pin in the frame by the trigger. They also got the ammo wrong I used that I believed was causing the all the problems. They labeled it "24 rds. of Winchester 380 Auto 95gr. JHP T-Series". Actually, the ammo I used was WWB 95gr. flat-nose FMJ's, and I shot 100 rds., not 24 rds. I clearly told them all this over the phone.

I guess I will have to call Taurus and find out what they did about that pin.
Could it be those 24 rounds is what Taurus used to testfire it after the fix?

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
My first guess when I see "NPF" is the same as TexasDeputy but giveN that they admitted it did fell out... Maybe they meant New Pin Fitted? (just my stab in the dark there)

I hope she shoots well for you!

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Another thought: If the pin came out that easily before try gently tapping on it with a wood or plastic punch to see if easily moves back out. If not I would wait until test firing again and just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Glad you got it back so quick, but don't count on getting an answer to your question about what they did with the pin issue. Also, what you told the person on the phone probably did not make it to the gunsmith who worked on it. Taurus is working on getting their system fine tuned so this doesn't happen. You have to include all the info, on paper, with the gun, so the gunsmith can actually see what you think is wrong. If you included this, great. But if you just relied on the person you talked to on the phone to tell the gunsmith what you said a few days earlier, like I said, it probably didn't happen. So here is where you stand:you sent the gun in for repairs and you got it back. Great! Now go shoot it and see if they fixed it. If not, then call them back and talk to them about the next step. The proof will be in the shooting. Now if the pin pops back out, I suggest you put a tiny drop of locktite on the pin and push it back in and wipe off the excess immediately and let the gun sit to cure the locktite. That will fix that problem. If our TCP doesn't like one brand of ammo, try another. I have a TCP and so does my wife. Both have been flawless, but when guns are new, they take time to break in. Find ammo that works and stick with it til you have put 300-500 rounds through it. A lot of times, you can then try different ammo that may not have worked in the past, with good results. Hope this helps.
Thank you. For what it's worth, I did include the details of my problems on a note for the Gunsmith when I shipped the gun back. As soon as I can locate a decent quantity of .380 ammo at a decent price (not an easy task these days), I will be giving her a second go around. This time I will shoot three or four different brands and types. If the pin comes out again, I will try the loctite.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had two of 3 areas checked on my recent repair trip to Taurus (my 605's trip that is) and 2 of them were also listed as "NPF" and they were not any type of pin related, so I think "No Problem Found" is a safe bet for that intended meaning. Maybe after the adjustment, this somehow resolved the pin issue? Either way, hope it works well when you test it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts