Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"UPDATE"Continued light strikes, and more "UPDATE"

Well folks, I may have been a bit premature when bragging about my PT111. I went to the range today and out of 224 rounds I had about a dozen light strikes. I had to pull the trigger 3 or more times before it would fire. Plus the slide would not close all the way about 25 percent of the time. It liked about one quarter, to a half of an inch from closing all the way. I had to push it by hand, some of the time a trigger pull would close it, then with another pull it would fire. (I found that out by accident) Once the slide locked and I had to remove the magazine to get the slide to move back to eject the round. Also had 4 jams,(failed to feed) I guess you'd call it. The pistol was clean, I have cleaned it twice since I shot it last time before this outing. I was shooting Monarch and Federal ammo. I may send it back to Taurus, (probably will) I'm pretty much stuck with it. I really like the pistol, and when it's working it works great. Please don't get the idea I'm bashing it, or Taurus, but right now the performance is highly unacceptable. I'm sure we'll get it worked out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Continued light strikes, and more

I purchased a PT111pro yesterday at Sportsmans Warehouse for my wife. She just put 100 Blazer shells through it without a hitch. I didn't read the articles about this gun until last nite and now I'm a little worried about reliability. We bought this gun because it fit my wife's hands perfectly and I've always heard good things about the quality of Taurus. Hopefully, we won't see any of the problems I'm reading about in this forum.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Re: Continued light strikes, and more

It appears that a few gun seem to have a bit of a problem... whether it is a weak recoil spring (which also pulls the breach back into battery) or a weak hammer/striker spring.

Add to this the problem of weak magazine springs which may cause the shells to not be held in correct alignment to enter the breech...

AND the notorius WAL-MART WWB white box hard primers.

If you put 100 rounds through the gun... it will probably serve you well...

For jlentz... you have all of our heart felt compassion. There is nothing like drawing a lemon out of a barrel of ripe apples... send it back to Taurus with a letter phrased the same way you just did.

I have found that the CS people at Taurus are people... and when they get jumped on for making junk and trashy service... I don't imagine your order will go to the front of the pile. However, explain your problem... recognizing that if Taurus had a Kimber waranty you would probably get 10 day service (Kimber has a 6 month waranty). But since you have a LIFETIME waranty, there are a lot of folks who have guns 10 years old which are getting sent back because they were just worn out... but since that can't happen with a Taurus... you may have a 6 week turn around.

If it were mine... I'd spit and know the grass wouldn't grow there... send it in and trust that the gun gods will smile on me for my patience. Good luck buddy!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: "UPDATE"Continued light strikes, and more "UPDATE"

My brother came over today and I was showing him my new PT111. As I was telling him about the problems I had with it, and it was well worth spending $50 to send it back for repair, a piece of it fell on the floor! Kind of embarrassing really, but he got a good laugh.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts

I'm wondering when Taurus will convert those polymer guide rods on the Mil Pro and 24/7's to steel?

·
Registered
29 Posts

I know that smith and wesson have the same set up on the sigmas and apparently they never seem to have a problem with them either.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I've only had the thing for six weeks, and with a few exceptions, it's been nothing but trouble. I believe I can safely say that I bought a lemon. Tomorrow, if I can, I'm taking it back to the dealer I bought it from, and see if they will replace it. Or at least offer to send it back to Taurus and get it repaired. Again, I'm not bashing Taurus, my other two (a PT92 and 85UL) are great, but this particular pistol is worthless.

Maybe this thread should be moved to the "Taurus Complaints" area.
I really didn't think of putting it there when I first posted.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Today I took it back to the dealer who is shipping it to Taurus to be repaired. I'm not expecting it back for two months, from what I understand a large number of Taurus arms get returned.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts

I have had problems with the PT111 Pro, however, they were manufacturing problems, either with the feed area "large rough area on one side of the feed, that was plated and not caught. The selling dealer and Taurus replaced it within 24 hours. The other problem was a defective magazine, too wide where you load the rounds. This due to the Holiday weekend, and over night shipping times, will be replaced by this wednesday afternoon. Again the selling dealer and taurus said "No Problem, and shipped the replacement without having to return the defective item".

The warranty, is one of the reasons I bought what I bought.

The Judge, I bought first, has been almost perfect, except for the fun getting 45 Colt ammo at a reasonable price.

Even if I had to wait 6 weeks for repair or replacement parts I could not beat the concern shown by dealers and Taurus.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Jlentz,

Sorry to hear of your problems with your Mill Pro. Judging by the picture, you obviously have a bad guide rod. I know that I can be frustrating to have issues with new gun, but these are not just Taurus issues. I have spent the last few years on various firearms boards and if you look, you find that plenty of people have to send Glocks, M&P's, XD'S, Sigs, etc back for repairs. I'm sure that Taurus will fix your problem as soon as they can. I bought my PT111 in September and have approx 800 happy rounds through it. It's become my favorite carry gun.

Good luck with the repairs and keep us posted.

Adam

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

Nypd, did you notice the guide rods on the glocks sometimes do the same thing? I had to replace mine on my g30, and I'm thinking about getting a stainless steel one for it. Does Taurus have aftermarket parts and springs? Is a guide rod a controlled part? I think that would be an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Pistol has been repaired and returned. It's now working correctly. It took exactly two months. Not too bad of a turn around time really.

·
Registered
93 Posts

jlentz said:
Pistol has been repaired and returned. It's now working correctly. It took exactly two months. Not too bad of a turn around time really.
That's a great turn aound time for Taurus!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Yes,
Adjusted slide, replaced trigger spring, and replaced the guide rod.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts