Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is a first for me. I ordered a brand new Taurus 24/7 Pro 45 cal. I checked everything out like I always do with a new gun. It would not chamber a single round. Each time an attempt was made, it would jam. The last jam I could not remove without taking it to a gunsmith. After removing the round, he said the barrel was not cut for a 45 cal. He had never seen anything like this before.

Called Taurus and they picked the gun up on June 15. On a whim I called the service dept to see if they had any info. The operator cut me off as soon as I said "I wanted to check on ..". I was transferred to another Rep who said, " You do realize this is a Friday?!" He unwillingly checked the service order number and said "I see this was logged in on 6-15... we are just now getting to the ones that are in the system on May 15th. It will be at least another month or two before they get a chance to look at it." Then there will be repair time on top of that!

Has anyone else had this kind of problem with the barrel not being cut correctly? I can understand the backlog on repairs, but I don't understand why the Rep has to have an attitude. This is not my first Taurus, but I'm leery of buying another now.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Never heard of such a thing from any firearms maker, in fact I don't see how it would be possible to have a non-45cal barrel in a 45cal frame/slide, let along have one not cut for a 45cal (whatever that means), it just doesn't make sense. Also never had that kind of response from CS (despite what you read on the net).

Will the 45cal rd drop in to the barrel from the breech, by hand (not cycling with the mag)?

I am sitting here messing with my 24/7 45cal and can't for the life of me understand how a round will not chamber, yet still jam the slide? Could you possibly explain in a bit of detail what exactly you mean or it is doing? What did the smithy do to remove the rd? More details would make it easier to supply answers.

I've been a Gunsmith since the late 80's...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunatly I didn't get to see how the gunsmith was able to remove the jam. The part that amazed me was that a 45 round would not drop into the barrel. The bullet was too big to fit. He had never seen anything like it as well. I am curious as to what Taurus will do to remedy the problem. I'll post back when I receive any info. The only way I could remove the previous jams was by pulling back the slide and literally shaking the round loose. You could not eject the round.
CS was very unwilling to help today. Maybe Friday is a bad day to call. I'm sure they are getting calls daily with a backlog like he told me. Even if they are behind, they could treat a customer nicer.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
All I can tell you is... and I know your gonna love this ;)

If the barrel in your 24/7 45cal. would not chamber a 45cal. rd, then you don't have and didn't buy a 24/7 45cal. pistol. Taurus "did not" place in the wrong barrel or an uncut/unfinished barrel in your 24/7 45cal pistol. It is not possible to have a 9mm, 40cal or any other barrel, then a 45cal. barrel in a 24/7 45cal pistol simply because the gun "wouldn't" be able to be assembled. Any chance you still have the box or purchase ticket you received when you bought the gun? It might help me figure out what you actually have, a pic would be great and you could block out the personal info...

What all this boils down to is, either you purchased the wrong pistol, the gun store sold you the wrong pistol (and you didn't notice it) or your entire post is Bulls*&t. The facts are that Taurus "could not" possibly assemble a 24/7 45cal. pistol as you described. I also would consider finding another gunsmith for not explaining this to you.

Don't take anything personal, my comments are based on what you have posted so far and the fact that I am a gunsmith of more then 20 years, I know Taurus firearms along with most others extremely well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First of all, I know enough about guns to read the side of the gun for model and caliber. It is a Taurus 24/7 Pro 45 Cal. Serial number NAO55047. I already tried to look it up on the Taurus site and it doesn't show. (neither does the PT111 9mm I bought shortly after this one).
Second, if I truly bought the wrong gun, and I took it to the gunsmith with a 45 round in a 40 cal gun, wouldn't he state that as being the reason that it won't chamber?!! (he has been in business longer than even you)
Third, I simply wanted to see if anyone has had this type issue before. Also needed to vent about their customer service.
I came to this site and did alot of reading before I purchased this gun. The one thing that I did notice was anyone that comes against Taurus immediatly get shot down. Sorry, just because someone says "don't take this personally", I tend to do just that. Why would my first post be a joke? Or as you say BS?? I will update the site when Taurus repairs or replaces the gun. After that post I will not be back to this site. Great way to welcome someone aboard.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
By your honest reply about my remarks, I have no doubt about your complaint is real problem and not from one of those few people that come here to spew "BS" about our owners or their toys. I offer my apologies for questioning you thread. Sometimes you just gotta ask thou... ;)

At least your barrel didn't come flying off or the slide shoot backwards off the frame nearly killing you, like some of the weird stories go... which we know are BS.

I have never in all my years working with firearms seen anyone get an unfinished barrel, which I assume your gunsmith was referring to the barrel not having its barrel chamber cut, cut properly or fully to seat the bullet and casing. It is such a remote possibility, but if all else fails it must be?

Any customer service for any business can suck, I've never had any trouble with them, but others have. I am sure my day is coming sometime. Imagine what it must be like to be a CS rep... It also sucks not having answers to questions like how is my gun, where is my gun, when can I have it back...

We don't need any proof of your claim, but it would be great to be updated about the progress, the fix and anything else you want to chat about. You can even ignore me if you like, my wife does it all the time :)

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I've seen all kinds of stuff slip by quality control, not so much in the gun industry, but others. Anything's possible, even if told it's not. ;)

I am curious about more details on this. I will say, we won't get any from Taurus though. All they will tell you is they replaced what parts and they recomend cleaning it after each use, even if you send back an unfired gun.

·
Administrator
18,576 Posts
That .45 PT24/7 never would have made it here if it could not have been proof/test fired!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All I know is what I saw and experienced. You can doubt all you want. The fact is a 45 cal bullet would not fit into the barrel. The 9mm Taurus I have the 9mm bullet slips right in. I know Taurus is supposed to test fire each gun. I don't see how this would have been possible unless something happened after the test fire. I didn't take pictures although I wish I had.
I am going to wait until I receive a response from Taurus and then post back. Hopefully they will state what was done. I know this story sounds unrealistic, but I'm telling the truth. I've owned Taurus handguns before and never had a flaw. I want answers just like everyone else.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It is one of those things that when all else fails, the near impossible must be the possible. It isn't that any of us doubts you, we are just amazed, shocked and in aw that something this far out there finally real happened... Don't suppose you live anywhere near Southeast Iowa do you? Always looking for shooting buddies :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the exact same problem. The round would go into the barrel but the slide would not return completely forward. So it wouldn't fire. I tried several different types of ammo to no avail. Taurus had the gun for nine weeks. They replaced the barrel. I too thought the phone operators were rude or short at best. The gun works well now, so far.

·
Administrator
18,576 Posts
deputy125 said:
I've seen a cz 75 with a "short" chamber" where a round would not completely chamber.
CZ75's and their Tanfoglio Clones have short barrel throats, aka very little freebore in front of the shell chamber, and this can cause problems with some ammunition that is loaded a bit long with too much of the bullet shank exposed. Most standard factory ammunition, loaded to SAAMI standards will work in them!

·
Registered
91 Posts
could it have been one of the following?

-overall bullet length was to much for what the gun is made for?
-feed ramp jacking it up at an angle that wont feed correctly?
-just wont feed that type of ammo?
-do the headstamps match what the box of ammo is supposed to be? heard a rumor of someone finding 40sw in a 45 acp box once.
-is this evidence of limp wristing it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just called Taurus support. My gun was received by them on 6/15. I was told that they are working on the guns received that week right now. He said it ususally takes a week to finish and then ship back. I won't know what they did until the gun has been returned to me. I'll post when I receive another update or when the gun is returned.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts