Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
Someone has soiled their underwear?

·
22,308 Posts
Wow. Scary as heck. Who's in charge at that range? Anyone?

·
Registered
24,612 Posts
Not good.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
If your staple gun jams when rehanging the targets you need to let someone know.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
WOW! So the sound of somebody else shooting wasn't enough after the severity of nobody checking the range to make sure it was clear....you can see the other man shooting even though the shooter wasn't aware himself. You'd have thought the official or the cameraman would have said something.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Yikes! I would not be standing if I were the person on the hit range. Increase my odds of survival. I hope they do a full investigation and correct the issue(s).

Reactions: SixFalls

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Well, someone lost control indeed!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Somebody screwed up big time !! It's a big stage but NOT the kind of mistake that can happen - period!!

The shooter is running hard with tunnel vision - the camera person may only be looking at the viewin the camera. The SO or whoever is on the timer is watching the shooter for safety issues and proceedurals.

All of them have been told the range was clear and going 'hot'.

Probably lucky that the guy was at targets and would be seen before the trigger was pulled - PROBABLY.
BUT he could have already been injured or killed down range from targets fired on - cardboard does not stop bullets. One 'shoot through' that found him would have been tragic!

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
Shoot Management needs some remedial training. Someone should be checking the range first before the starter sends in the next shooter. What a cluster. That could have been disasterous.

·
8,542 Posts
That is pure stupidity in full view. Another second and we would have been reading about another range accident. Goes to show even the highly trained RO's are human.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
the only way that couldve been worse is if target man hid behind some cardboard to try and go unnoticed .... smh

Creek

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I say congratulations on stopping before shooting a literal "innocent bystander". You can be "in the zone" all you want, but the fact is this very scenario could easily occur in a real life shooting. Bad guy, bad guy, bad guy, down, check corner, clear, bad guy, bad guy, down, mag change, bad guy, bad guy, teenager with soda... OOPS!"

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Wow -- at 19 seconds in the video, the shooter engages targets downrange through the far right door in the white barriers. Based on the tips of the target stands just visible over the barrier, and where the puffs of dirt are in the berm, he missed the guy downrange by a very narrow margin.

It's likely the 'cameraman' is either a friend of the shooter following to film, or is a shooter who's also serving as the scorekeeper when it's not his turn to shoot. In either situation, the Safety Officer is well off of the shooter, and not in any real position to do anything but yell and hope the word, "Stop" makes it through whatever hearing protection the shooter has on, in time. Obviously, the shooter seems to be pretty experienced, and there's always a possibility a shooter will want to retreat uprange, so it's not a surprise the SO is back off a bit.

In longer field courses, especially courses with multiple barriers and walls, this is a paranoia of mine -- that someone will still be downrange when the SO starts another shooter. Whatever the reason -- patching targets, trying to rehang one that's come loose, or just doing a little brass picking while resetting the stage.

It's likely the guy downrange was saved by good stage design -- he was standing at a target, and whoever put the stage together would have tried very hard to make sure there were no scoring problems caused by shoot-throughs. So being close to a target, given good stage design and a good shooter, was the safest place to be downrange.

Up until the point that the shooter wanted to engage that target . . . .

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Yup, the Range Safety Officer made an error. A lot of peoples safety depend on that RSO doing his/her job. There are no room for mistakes here. I wonder how many times such mistakes are made and not recorded. In this instance we had a camera rolling to document the near catastrophe. Let's all learn from it!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I think I would not shoot at that range.
That's a sanctioned event AT a range (I'm willing to bet). Looks USPSA or IPSIC not IDPA (he's shooting full hi-cap manage, not 10/11) to me. The staff would be trained volunteers with the sanctioning body. The range would be acting as the host OR possibly rented for the event.

All volunteers, all great people, all dedicated to the sport and all human.

I hope the near miss caused a real review and modification of their match procedures!!
If they get a reputation for this kind of problem shooters WILL go away and so could their accreditation!

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Wow -- at 19 seconds in the video, the shooter engages targets downrange through the far right door in the white barriers. Based on the tips of the target stands just visible over the barrier, and where the puffs of dirt are in the berm, he missed the guy downrange by a very narrow margin.
Boyhowdy!

What in the world! I agree that the SO dropped the ball in making a complete check downrange before starting the new shooter. But geez how many close by rounds does it take to wake the f'up and realize someone is shooting on the course that you are downrange on! Especially the shots downrange Walker points out! Geeez! Oh, and where were all of the rest of shooters on that squad?! Do they not pay attention?!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts