Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keep one magazine loaded or rotate mags every so often? I have found through many years of experience that one should rotate magazines around once every two weeks. Constant compression does not weaken the spring however daily rotation will due to the compression/decompression. Just take a paper clip for example; bend it once and it will not break--constantly bend it back and forth and it will snap eventually. (Not comparing the mag spring to a paper clip by any means; just using it as a visual) I would like to get some feedback from you on this topic. Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have one mag full of 115 grain JHP 9mm and one full of 124 grain 9mm FMJ WWB I usually have one JHP chambered no matter what mag I have on me. The JHP seems to be a bit more accurate than the 124 FMJ so I trust it more, but if im feeling frisky I carry the 124.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
My mags stay loaded unless I'm going to use them for practice. Then I usually (unless I decide to cycle my social ammo) unload the Corbon and load up the ball, reloading social ammo afterwards. I don't carry ball unless I forgot to bring more/extra social ammo with.

Occasionally I do take the mags apart to give them a good cleaning, just make sure you get them back together fight (watch the spring alignment).

Steelheart

·
Registered
111 Posts
+ 1 propellerhead, I dont ever unload my weapon and since I have prolly 20 mags for most of the pistols some are range and some are carry they get dated and after so many years they get relagated to range use only.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Waitaminute - I don't get it. I have 5 mags total - are you guys saying that you should only keep 1 loaded and the other 4 unloaded until you're ready to use them? And then switch out the loaded one once every 2 weeks?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The point I was trying to make was to rotate the ammo in your magazines. If it's a self defense firearm keep 2 mags loaded but rotate the ammo every 2 weeks into 2 fresh mags to avoid misfeeds due to constant compression. If it's just a target firearm leave your mags empty until the night before you go to the range. Police Officers are trained in the academy to rotate ammo every two weeks---this is where my information comes from.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The spring makers say that you do not have to do this, the spring is weakened by the process of compressing and uncompressing, not by staying either way. So by rotating your ammo you will have to replace the mag springs much faster.

That said, it's supposed to be better to leave out one shell so it not at full compression all the time, but to otherwise leave them alone.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What the manufacturer says it not necessarily correct 100% of the time. I am going by 20 years of experience with the NYPD and how their Firearms Training Unit preaches. Let's put it this way---I used a Glock for over 15 years and practiced this method myself. And I only had three mags for that entire 15 years. REMEMBER---the manufacturer wants you to keep coming back to buy more parts---they don't want you to know that these mags can last for years without replacement.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think the mags last a long time as well; I have 6 mags for my G19 and I have never ever ever replaced the springs. This was my first test gun to put the Glock to the test and it had ~ 10,000 rounds through it in the first two years with various cheap ammo and a little bit of self-defense ammo. Only replaced the barrel at ~5000 rounds and just replaced the recoil spring. Everything is working a-okay.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I shoot my JHP carry ammo mag every trip to the range (lately every week) and rotate mags with fresh SD ammo. When I first bought my PT1911, I only carried 7 rounds in the 8 round factory mag but lately I've been filling it up. I think I'll go back to 7 rounds for carry. I only use the factory mags for carry and Novak 8 rounders for extra range use.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Administrator
18,111 Posts
Rotate in and out 2 magazines every month. Not sure it's necessary, as I have had some handguns loaded for Months at a time. Also, have kept 20 rounds loaded in 30 round AK, AR, and Mini-14 magazines for about a year with no problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts