Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent been reloading very long about 600 rds. now and I am trying to get a good load for my pt145. I worked with unique and got to 6.2 gr. but it feels hotter than factory rds. (230 gr. lead RN) and is way dirty however it shoots accurate. I don't mind cleaning the gun at all but it feels like its too hot of a load for range work. I tried some 231 today 5gr. and it wasn't accurate like the unique.also had trouble returning to battery Would anyone venture to tell me in a pt145 lead RN 230 gr. what they like in these two powders? Thanks!!

·
Administrator
40,679 Posts
I settled on W231 because it is cleaner. 5.6grns. and 230gr. lead round nose. Bullseye is a good powder for .45 acp, but it is dirty. Haven't used it or Unique in a long time. My 2 pennies worth. :angel:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I use 5.7 grains of 231 with 230 round nose lead or FMJ. 4.8 grains of Bullseye is supposedly the military duplicate loading, but I use 5.0 grains for more reliable functioning in my 1911. I must have replaced the recoil spring at some point with something a little heavier than factory, can't remeber exactly.

There really isn't any such thing as clean vs. dirty powders if you use lead bullets. You're going to get dirty no matter what powder you use due to the melting and lead vapor that is produced when firing. They sure are cheaper than jacketed though...

·
Super Moderator
35,599 Posts
You can push a little more velocity with Unique in .45ACP, but it is dirtier and doesn't meter in volume measures as well as 231. 231 will do a fine job with standard pressure .45ACP loads, though I never use it. Got a friend that loves the Winchester ball stuff. I load mostly bullseye. I shoot 5.0 b'eye with a 200 grain cast SWC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.