Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my workplace just voted to join a union I work on a government contract (worked here 21 years ). I am almost 60 years old and have never been a fan of a union. Not sure if I will join or not. anyone here with good or bad union experience. It may help ne decide what to do. W
e have lost benefits almost every contract. the company claims that is what they had to do to keep from being underbid on the contract. Not to worried about getting laid off as I am one of 4 qualified lead techs (repair/ maint) on this radar the others are operators and just run the radar covering 24/7 with 4 sometimes gets tough. There is no company retirement Just a unmatched 401k (I am retired military). We don't know what the dues will be yet as it is just in the starting stages it is the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers union

Reactions: 777Driver

·
Super Moderator
40,412 Posts
Wish I could offer advice or an experience. Keep us posted on how it goes. Me personally I don't want anything to do with a union.

Reactions: jtg452

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
My personal experience with unions has not been good. I have a hatred for them with a passion, UNLESS they are employee based and NOT an outside entity.

When I was a younger man, I worked for a company that had an outside based union. And this is why I have my hatred for them. Bear with me on this.

In 1986, when I started with the union, they promised us a "cost of living" increase that was not specified in the contract. When pushed by the employees, the union, and the company, gave us a $.01 increase per hour. Yes, you read that right, 1 penny per hour increase. The union said that was the best they could negotiate blah, blah, blah, and the company talked about costs, etc., but as soon as that was approved by the union, the company opened another processing plant. Next year (1987), we received another raise of $.20 per hour. Yes, it was 20 times the previous raise, but still not anywhere near a good 4% per year raise. We, the employees, took it in "a certain area" again, and again, the company talked about costs being so high for this, that, and the other thing as to why they could not go any higher. Complaining to the union was as useless as talking to a wall. They always said, "That is the best we could get".

1987 started collective bargaining for the new contract. Again, the company came out this time with about 2.5% per year raises, in writing, and maintenance of benefits. The union claimed (again) that this was the best they could do. The employees approved this, and before the inkjet printer had printed copies of this contract, the company bought out another company.

1990 collective bargaining came around, and with a new union leader, the union decided that this time they would hold more "public" style meetings, and announced when and where the meetings would be held. The blowback on the new contract, that FINALLY gave us 4% per year, and maintained benefits, was good, but with the distrust of the company from the last two collective bargaining agreements, was explosive to say the least. One person, who shall remain anonymous (okay, me) said, "I wonder if all you union reps get better visitation rights to your "man parts" that the union has in Mason jars if you agree to whatever they present as a contract", which got everything from roaring laughter to people totally aghast that I even had the fortitude to say that to our union reps. I also brought up how the union could trust the company bargaining in "good faith" when they did what they did years earlier, to the disdain of our union reps. Well, the bargaining agreement passed soon afterward, and, you guessed it, the company bought out another company soon after the contract passed.

I left that company in 1992, and have NEVER looked back. Friends that stayed there after I left stated that the company NEVER gave them another raise bigger than 3% in the next bargaining agreements, and the company has not maintained equipment properly, nor facilities. Many of my friends from there left within a few years after I left. They also were caught, many times, hiring illegal immigrants, thanks to some revengeful former workers calling Immigration about what was going on.

Sorry for being long winded, but that shows why I have a deep seated hatred for unions.

Again, your experience, as well as others, may vary.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I had the misfortune of working in a IAM Union factory for over 40 years, but from the company side of the table. In all those years, I was amazed that the workforce didn't kick them out, and sign up with another union. The members aren't adequately represented, and it's all about dues - dues - dues. From the company side, we could see what they were doing to their membership, but the membership was too blind and naive to see they were being used. I feel sorry for your situation.

·
Registered
24,504 Posts
Unions are very good for reaching into your pocket and not getting much else done.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
You will receive more pay, which you will contribute to the union as "Dues". You will be able to buy into there healthcare insurance at rates equal to O' Bamy care. Not sure what they will do with your 401K as they should have a pension plan that you will have to buy into as being 60yo+ you are almost done, and your actual contributions will not be adequate to cover your pension costs. Good Luck..

You are in luck! North Carolina is a Right to Work state. You can continue to do your job without any Union affiliation!

https://corbyatlaw.com/north-carolina-is-a-right-to-work-state-what-does-that-mean/

Reactions: Desperado

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Just my personal experience, but every time I was forced into membership of an union, any union ( UAW-Aaerospace; UAW=Machnists; Painters, Paperhangers & Decorators; Electricians; Teamsters) It cost me significantly more in money, time, and aggravation than it ever was worth. Mostly cost me money, but there were other costs aplenty - . I have at least one horror-story attached to each of the aforementioned unions, and in some instances, more than one, and they all worked out bad for me in money, time, and "inconvenience". I have been shot at, run off the road, and even had one deliberate attempt to ram me on my motorcycle with a car. All for, from, and by unions and their "adherents".

I have yet to meet a union official, (even an elected officer of a local) who wasn't on some sort of power-trip and had often had his hand in the cookie-jar as well. Union officials at the national level live like kings and despots on the dues and fees coughed up by the members.

"CLOSED SHOP" laws and states with no "RIGHT TO WORK" Laws are two of the most oppressive forms of human bondage that exist today in this free world. Money and power, and they get so entwined with crooked politics and the little man at the bottom becomes more a slave than a free workman.

There might be people who have ridden the dog well enough in their lives to feel financially comfortable, but they have sold their souls long ago.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
my workplace just voted to join a union I work on a government contract (worked here 21 years ). I am almost 60 years old and have never been a fan of a union. Not sure if I will join or not. anyone here with good or bad union experience. It may help ne decide what to do. W
e have lost benefits almost every contract. the company claims that is what they had to do to keep from being underbid on the contract. Not to worried about getting laid off as I am one of 4 qualified lead techs (repair/ maint) on this radar the others are operators and just run the radar covering 24/7 with 4 sometimes gets tough. There is no company retirement Just a unmatched 401k (I am retired military). We don't know what the dues will be yet as it is just in the starting stages it is the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers union

The only people driving Cadillacs out of those kind of deals are the union bosses. Management doesn't have Cadillacs, they're basic working stiffs, hired hands, like everyone else. No sweat on the union bosses part, the sweat and the money for the Cadillacs comes from those who work for a living and then pay the union dues to the union and the union bosses.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I belonged to a Union at My first job, never again.
Every time there was a dispute the Union Steward would always take the side of the Supervisor or Company He was in their back pocket and always socializing with Management outside of work He was the lowest lying dirty dog who ever walked the face of the earth.
Every 3 years when the Union contract would come up for negotiation He always got a new car, and it seemed like the worse our contract was the nicer car He got.
When they approach You to join tell them in the nicest way possible to kiss off.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers union
[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
I just went back and read that part, that is the actual Union I belonged to, totally worthless DO NOT JOIN!

·
21,961 Posts
I just hired a guy who said flat-out in the interview that he was sick of working in a union.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
The only guarantee with a union is that you'll be making less due to union dues. That's my experience and in some cases higher pay usually means a smaller work force.

Maloy

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I worked along side of a union for 25 years. Not a single goof thing to say about them. If you can get away with it I would definitely not join. You're going to get the same "benefits" as the union workers without having to pay dues. Unfortunately the union guys frown upon that. We had a maintenance guy who refused to join. He had his car keyed three times. Fortunately the company paid every time to support him. Be careful it can get ugly.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Being from PA, when I think UNION, I first think of steelworkers and coal miners. I also think of Jimmy Hoffa and Teamsters.

But I really think of Jock Yablonski and Tony Boyle (of the coal Miners). This story started in @1968 or 69. Tony Boyle had Jock, his wife, and his daughter killed for $5,000 in embezzled union funds, by three or four itinerant neer-do-wells, of whom three were sentenced to death, though i cannot remember if sentences were executed. Ultimately, the killer(s) were witnesses against Boyle, who was finally convicted for the three murders, and (get this: By the time of sentencing, Boyle was so old he had had a stroke and the defense pleaded that he should not be sent to jail because he was confined to a wheelchair which was punishment enough already) Boyle finally did go to jail on three consecutive life sentences, where he ultimately died.

·
Registered
18,497 Posts
Being from PA, when I think UNION, I first think of steelworkers and coal miners. I also think of Jimmy Hoffa and Teamsters.

But I really think of Jock Yablonski and Tony Boyle (of the coal Miners). This story started in @1968 or 69. Tony Boyle had Jock, his wife, and his daughter killed for $5,000 in embezzled union funds, by three or four itinerant neer-do-wells, of whom three were sentenced to death, though i cannot remember if sentences were executed. Ultimately, the killer(s) were witnesses against Boyle, who was finally convicted for the three murders, and (get this: By the time of sentencing, Boyle was so old he had had a stroke and the defense pleaded that he should not be sent to jail because he was confined to a wheelchair which was punishment enough already) Boyle finally did go to jail on three consecutive life sentences, where he ultimately died.
I was almost 12 at the time and remember watching it as the "breaking story" on the news, when they discovered the bodies. IIRC, they were killed on New Year's Eve, 1969 but they weren't discovered for a few days. Pittsburgh is almost local (100 mi) so it was a big deal around here. I think it got more coverage than the Kennedy assassinations.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Union works don't do much work here. Not because they're not employed. They stand around until the next break. Lazy and can't be fired.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The only problem I have with unions is they are usually pro Democrat. I retired from construction. I loved the work. If I had not been a union member (Carpenters) I would never have been able to retire. The medical benefits were awesome. They had a vacation plan (try getting that in a non union construction job. The unions gave is the 40hr work week and weekends off. Maybe they have outlived their usefulness?

Now one of the Grey Guardians.

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
If I remember right, they cannot force you to join a union or pay union dues and they cannot penalize you for not joining. If they do, it's racketeering and extortion. Collect every tiny piece of info you can and start building your case today.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
If I remember right, they cannot force you to join a union or pay union dues and they cannot penalize you for not joining. If they do, it's racketeering and extortion. Collect every tiny piece of info you can and start building your case today.
You don't join the union before you apply for the job "union referral" you are not hired for the job at union job sites.
Collect every tiny piece of info you can and start building your case today
Yea, let me know how that works out for you Jimmy. The end zone of what every stadium near you.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts