Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys and gals

i was shooting my original 24/7 .45 acp yesterday and discovered that, when done with a little extra force, inserting a loaded magazine would cause the slide to move forward on its own, unintentionally chambering the 1st round in the mag. i discovered this when inserting a full, high capacity (12 rd) mag, but by the end of the session i was able to get it to "self-chamber" while inserting a mag with only 1 rd in it, though this took considerably more force to achieve. i was never able to achieve this effect with an empty mag, no matter how much force i applied.

so what should i do? is this a problem with the gun that i need Taurus to fix? am i just an idiot who doesn't know about the great "self-chambering" feature offered on Taurus's DAO pistols? what's the deal...?

thanks

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I can do that with my pt111 1st gen. So, I'd also be interested in if it's a problem that needs attention. First time it happened I just figured "how convenient" and didn't think anything of it.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I have a couple or three that have done that on occasion when aggressively inserting mag. I did/do not consider it a problem, and wouldn't whether on the range or in SD use. I say nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Use it in IDPA.
Gain a second over the rest.
Hmmm - some of us apparently have slide lock reloads worked out better than others - and guns with more accessible - easily operated slide releases!!

OP - if it is a problem for you then it's worth a call to Taurus. Inserting a mag should not release the slide. It is also not necessarry to slam a slide in place. Yes, adrenalin can get one pumping and everyone wants the slide securely held in the gun.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
My 24/7 G2 in 40 will do the same thing and it started at around 1200 rounds. I have over 2500 through it now and it has not given me any issues. If it bothers you you could contact customer service but I am just leaving mine as is until it gives me issues.

·
9,238 Posts
Slide lock release problem, maybe upper mag lips tripping the release. I know it sounds like a neat time saver , but do you want to chamber a round that way? I wouldn't , but that is just me. I am still a relative newbie.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I haven't noticed the problem but i don't typically slap in mags. If its bothering you call CS.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Welcome from SE TX! I don't have that issue anymore, but had it once, and i believe it was user error; meaning, I really slammed the full 12 rd mag in too hard I believe, and the slide slid forward cambering a round. Haven't had it since, and i don't slam it home that hard anymore either.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
But Mr. Darbo - the Glock, she is so delicate!!!:cool:
It has only happened a couple of times. What can I say, there's a little adrenalin dump and I slam the mag in way harder that it would ever need to be! I would rather this than a light mag load and no round getting loaded when I drop the slide!

Yea I know, get a Glock! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hm, thought i posted this already. anyway, i agree mr.silverstring. i called CS and the guy said i should send it in to get checked, didn't like the sound of it and, frankly, neither do i... just can't get comfortable with the thought of my weapon doing things without my permission, given the potential gravity of even the tiniest mistake regarding these things. my personal theory is that the catch has become rounded from wear and tear and the slamming motion of the mag gives the slide just the little bump it needs to slip over the hump. in any case, they've got a great warranty so i'm just gonna ship it off and let them look at it.

on another note, i bought this thing private sale so i'm not the original owner. is that gonna cause problems when it's time for them to ship it back to me? i don't want to get a call from taurus saying they're keeping my gun because the serial number's not attached to my name.

thanks

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
on another note, i bought this thing private sale so i'm not the original owner. is that gonna cause problems when it's time for them to ship it back to me? i don't want to get a call from taurus saying they're keeping my gun because the serial number's not attached to my name.

thanks
The life-time warranty is on the gun regardless of whether you're the original owner so it'll be OK.

·
Registered
29,937 Posts
I'd keep it as is and all it a feature, :D but thats just me, you have to do what makes you comfortable. I hope they get it fixed quickly for you!

Reactions: jimb1972

·
23,445 Posts
I'd get it fixed. Have you checked the slide release for burrs? Has it happened with more than one magazine?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts